SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Traveling during a state shelter-in-place order
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Traveling during a state shelter-in-place order Login/Join 
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
I will be driving from Montana to Tennessee over the next 3 days. My job allows me to come into work, get my assignment and then go out to the field in my work vehicle so I've quarantined myself from my co-workers for the past 2 weeks as much as I can. I work alone all day. I live alone.

I'm taking gloves for gas stations and I have a couple of masks in my truck just in case I feel I need them. I'm staying in Hilton properties that provide digital keys so there is no reason for me to have to interact with staff.

My mom and step-dad are buying the truck from me. That's the reason for the trip. I'm not worried about me getting them sick. My step-dad is a manager of a grocery store so if there is a way they are going to get it, it will be through him and his job.

Update: My trip has been canceled. United started screwing with my flights. I have to be able to get home so I'll make the drive some other time.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Skull Leader,

Posts: 11164 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
As always, pay attention to what the orders actually say. The Colorado order, for example, permits “outdoor” activities such as bicycling, running, hiking, walking, but not limited to those. What we’re supposed to do if outdoors, though, is observe the “social distancing” rules about groups and proximity to other people. We also have many exempted businesses; if we couldn’t travel to and patronize the gun shops and grocery stores, what would be the reason to exempt them in the first place?

On the other hand, the guidance I’ve seen for law enforcement and the public is that the order does have the force of law with specific statutes being referenced. If a group decided to hold a baptismal party with 50 guests at a local church, they could be ordered to disperse under the threat of arrest and citation. Saying such orders cannot be enforced by LEOs is just as ignorant as saying we can’t walk outside our house. Again, of course, that all depends on the jurisdiction and the specific provisions of the orders.

The advice to check local conditions is also very sound. My county public health ordered all motels and short term rentals to close, so a traveler looking for a place to stay shouldn’t plan on stopping here. (I don’t know if that was rescinded after the state order took effect, but it is an example of the sort of thing to anticipate.)

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
Just go and be smart about it.

How far is the trip? Just make sure you have what you need with you. The LEO I know really don't want to be engaging with people they don't have to. I don't see anyone stopping you just to check what you're doing.

With all that said read the orders for both states. I've read the ones where I live but don't know the specifics of yours.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16398 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
I am trying to avoid the drive from Eastern PA to just North of Chicago for project work. Can guarantee I WILL carry when I do.

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4577 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Not looking to shoot it out with AL Troopers to make a point. Or MS, though I could be tempered after 3 years in this Godforsaken state. Reference BBQ posts.....

Most orders allow for you to get food, take care of pets, and get gas.

So just tell them you're going for BBQ and to get Gas.

Posts: 23448 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
The only place that I have first hand knowledge of closing borders is Dare County in North Carolina.

There are 3 ways onto the island so it’s easy to block it off. We got onto Hatteras Island about 4 hours before they decided to close things down. We were there for about 10 days and when we left the Sheriffs we’re still blocking the road on the inbound side.

Of course, if you live there full time you could leave the island, go to Raleigh or Norfolk, shop at Costco with 5000 of your closest friends and return without issue...total BS.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6316 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Modern Day Savage:
The interesting, and infuriating, aspect to the Stay at Home order are the number of businesses and activities considered "Essential" and therefore exempted from the order. I'd hazard a guess that there are literally tens of thousands to perhaps hundreds of thousands of people exempted from the order, as written, including several "gray areas".

Reading through my previous comment I can now see how it could be misconstrued and I failed to clearly make my point.

I can't speak to other states' SIP/SaH orders, but I read the complete CDPHE order in Colorado (including the amended one) and what infuriates me is that, on the one hand we are being repeatedly told how important it is that we all stay inside our homes as much as possible and avoid contact with others... but at the same time the official order carves out so many exemptions for "Essential" businesses and activities that it permits literally tens of thousands to hundreds of thousands...perhaps even millions, to be exempted and travel freely. How can both be true?

As former FEMA director and radio talk show host Michael Brown recently stated, "the list of "Essential" businesses and activities is so long you could drive a bus through it".

As far as I'm concerned all businesses are "Essential", at least to the owners, investors, creditors, vendors, employees, and customers of the business, and I'm opposed to government authorities picking winners and losers, and exempting some while restricting others.

Even those businesses exempted under the Stay at Home order are expected to make adjustments to maintain both the "social distancing" requirements as well as the cleaning requirements. I believe that the vast majority of businesses currently shut down would be more than happy to make adjustments to comply if they were only given the opportunity to remain open.

I'm saddened, and angry, to see so many businesses struggling and so many employees without jobs because of government mandated shut downs...while other businesses are permitted to stay open, remain productive, and generate revenue.

Liquor stores, marijuana dispensaries, and Planned Parenthood are deemed Essential...but tobacco shops, yoga studios, martial arts studios, masseuses and Hobby Lobby are closed down.

There is a lot of suffering going on right now...and it isn't just those who have contracted the virus or are dealing with health care.

I apologize for the thread drift, but I felt it was important to clarify my earlier comment.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Haveme1or2
posted Hide Post
Ms to al is a hop skip and a jump !
I heard Jackson was threatening ppl !

The "heard of jacksononions" aren't complying.

Posts: 1002 | Location: Mint Hill NC | Registered: November 26, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
When Shelter in Place took affect my daughter was home from college for Spring Break. She hasn't been able to return to Georgia and her car and all her dorm room things are sitting. I have no idea when we will be allowed/able to go get all her possessions. 850 miles one way.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4015 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rtquig:
When Shelter in Place took affect my daughter was home from college for Spring Break. She hasn't been able to return to Georgia and her car and all her dorm room things are sitting. I have no idea when we will be allowed/able to go get all her possessions. 850 miles one way.

Plane tickets are cheap now. Especially a one-way ticket. Big Grin

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16398 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
My wife and I will be leaving Florida in our motor home within a couple weeks, heading back to our home in Michigan. I have not heard of any restrictions on interstate travel.

Posts: 13680 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Internet Guru
posted Hide Post
Maybe buy some counterfeit documents to present when the inevitable question is asked, 'your papers please?'

Posts: 1971 | Registered: April 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bdylan:
Maybe buy some counterfeit documents to present when the inevitable question is asked, 'your papers please?'

Would presenting a new in-the-wrapper roll of unused Angel Soft be considered attempted bribery of an officer of the law?

Posts: 15893 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post