SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Traveling during a state shelter-in-place order
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Traveling during a state shelter-in-place order Login/Join 
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted
Ok - if we could let's set aside the histrionics of violation of Constitutional rights etc.

If, let's say, I want to travel from my home in MS (under some sudden lockdown) to a second property in AL (under some less restrictive guidance, but likely not for long), what practical hurdles do I have to plan on in that transit? Realize we've not yet border-ized at the state level, but it's seeming more possible based on FL behavior. Certainly feels that way.

Not looking to shoot it out with AL Troopers to make a point. Or MS, though I could be tempered after 3 years in this Godforsaken state. Reference BBQ posts.....

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12417 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sound and Fury
Picture of Dallas239
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
Ok - if we could let's set aside the histrionics of violation of Constitutional rights etc.

If, let's say, I want to travel from my home in MS (under some sudden lockdown) to a second property in AL (under some less restrictive guidance, but likely not for long), what practical hurdles do I have to plan on in that transit? Realize we've not yet border-ized at the state level, but it's seeming more possible based on FL behavior. Certainly feels that way.

Not looking to shoot it out with AL Troopers to make a point. Or MS, though I could be tempered after 3 years in this Godforsaken state. Reference BBQ posts.....

Just go. No one's going to shoot you in this scenario unless you shoot first.

"I've spoken of the shining city all my political life, but I don't know if I ever quite communicated what I saw when I said it. But in my mind it was a tall proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, wind-swept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace, a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity, and if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here." -- Ronald Reagan, Farewell Address, Jan. 11, 1989

Si vis pacem para bellum
There are none so blind as those who refuse to see.
Feeding Trolls Since 1995

Posts: 18039 | Registered: February 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:

So, you're saying I've got a shot? Razz

Posts: 12417 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
I just did this very thing. Carried a couple 'essential items' to cover my bases and offer "plausible deniability"...but in the end, no fuss, no muss.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
Just tell 'em your a sovereign citizen . .

Posts: 5906 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: September 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jprebb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zipriderson:

Great idea, because that always works! Big Grin

JP

Posts: 2051 | Location: Maryland | Registered: April 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zipriderson:

Perfect. Close thread.
Practicing my screamy-panic-ohshit voice.

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

So, you're saying I've got a shot? Razz

I think so. Tell them that you need to go to your property in AL to maintain it, fix things, etc. IF you are even stopped in the first place.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
These so-called SIP orders we're hearing about: Are any of the states or localities actually prohibiting people from walking, running, bicycling, motorcycling, scootering, driving wherever they want? Or are they prohibiting gatherings over a certain size and "non-essential" retail operations, and advising people to shelter in-place to the extent possible? Because it's the latter that I was under the impression was happening. I'm 99% sure that's what's happening here in Michigan.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
These so-called SIP orders we're hearing about: Are any of the states or localities actually prohibiting people from walking, running, bicycling, motorcycling, scootering, driving wherever they want? Or are they prohibiting gatherings over a certain size and "non-essential" retail operations, and advising people to shelter in-place to the extent possible? Because it's the latter that I was under the impression was happening. I'm 99% sure that's what's happening here in Michigan.

The latter is what is happening here, and I believe happening in many other states. Authorities, including the Governor, are emphasizing voluntary compliance with the "Stay at Home" orders, but they have also resorted to encouraging peer pressure in having witnesses contact authorities (usually the county or state health departments, but also the AG) to report order violations. In several cases people have been calling 911 to report order violations...or at least suspected order violations. The Governor and other authorities have also repeatedly mentioned resorting to criminal charges, fines, and imprisonment for those who refuse to comply with the order. It should be noted that, here at least, the actual order was issued/ signed by the state health department, although it was mostly certainly done by order of the Governor.

The Governor's office is using various methods to track compliance with the Stay at Home order, including using traffic cams and cell phone meta data to report on citizen's movements.

Although it is a state-wide order and the AG could press charges, the reality is that most enforcement violations will fall to the local city or county LE to enforce. The Democrat controlled jurisdictions appear to be taking a much more aggressive stance in enforcing the order and threatening prosecutions. Our county Sheriff has already stated that they won't be arresting anyone caught violating the order but will simply approach and talk to them and ask them to comply...unless another crime is being committed while violating the order or there are extenuating circumstances.

The interesting, and infuriating, aspect to the Stay at Home order are the number of businesses and activities considered "Essential" and therefore exempted from the order. I'd hazard a guess that there are literally tens of thousands to perhaps hundreds of thousands of people exempted from the order, as written, including several "gray areas".

At least one California police department is using drones with speakers and night vision cameras to herd people off streets and back into their homes.

California police to use drones to patrol coronavirus lockdown

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nighthawk
posted Hide Post
I have heard in Houston they are threatening you with the possibility of 180 days in jail, however the idiot county judge is letting supposedly non violent felons out of jail because of the virus, so that makes sense, run by Democrats.

"Hold my beer.....Watch this".

Posts: 5933 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was a deputy in gulf coast MS i still get the emails, i am stationed in AK now.

The latest emails says that unless there is a reason to not stop anyone.

Yes there is a shelter in place but i wouldn't worry about being stopped just for that, as long as you don't match the description of someone there looking for and you don't hit a roadblock you'll be fine.

Posts: 663 | Registered: August 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
....what practical hurdles do I have to plan on in that transit?

None.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Just being paranoid.... you better be prepared to stay in AL once you get there....

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
None. CDC and the governor have said 'highways are not closing' (paraphrasing). Interstate travel is not denied.

Some localities are blocking 'outside entrance' and for now, no one is challenging the locals. Some Outer Banks locations, I heard, are on lockdown.

I look forward to an excuse to drive back out to Arizona. The excuse would likely be tragic in nature to someone (maybe not me) but the road trip would be fab. I've already got a route which is 35% - 40% 2-lane highways seldom travelled. Add in deserted interstates, and it would be Nirvana.

Me and the cat and a cooler of hot dogs. And a small hand trowel. And T,P. for bartering.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Last week I did Orlando to Boston.

I flew to Orlando to pick up my wife and drive us back.

The car was packed with food, so we only needed to stop for gas and bathroom breaks.

Not all places had their bathrooms open.

The ones were open were amazingly clean.

If you needed food it would be hit or miss.

Lots of places had signs take out only but didn't have a phone number to call. Not the best thought out advertising plan.

Lots of gas, cheap except the farther north the higher the price caused by the higher taxes.

Lots of people wore gloves, not many had masks,

MA is saying its pulling over NY NJ plates to tell them to self quarantine for 14 days.

I have MA plates so no big deal for me.

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
If you read these "orders," there are no legal "teeth" to enforce compliance. Even if there were, there are simply not enough cops. What would be their reasonable suspicion, let alone probable cause, to pull you over for illicit travel? Yet another example of how this shit has been blown out of proportion. To hear the news media and other rumor-mongers talking, you'd think martial law was declared. Go about your business and do what you need to do.

Posts: 27956 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Woodman:
Some localities are blocking 'outside entrance' and for now, no one is challenging the locals. Some Outer Banks locations, I heard, are on lockdown.

Oh, that's right, I heard mention of the fact that some jurisdictions were closing bridges in order to isolate themselves from the virus outbreak.

There was an incident in Maine in which some armed locals cut down a tree to block the driveway of a couple of out-of-towners who were renting the house, in order to force them to self-quarantine.

Reasonable or not, it would probably be prudent to plan a route and check for road closures before going "wheels-up"...and preparing for the fact that, in addition to finding that some services may not be available, and that some locals may not greet you too warmly.

Picture of Kraquin
posted Hide Post
Just go and do your best Sam Jackson ......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HykEksnL8SE

Posts: 391 | Registered: December 07, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
We are near Denver midway through a 2,500 mile trip from Destin Florida to Kalispell Montana. We are sticking to Interstates and averaging about 750 miles a day. There is NO traffic other than over the road trucks. There are personal vehicles in the cities but that's about it. Gas is plentiful and cheap and most of the fast food joints are open for drive-thru. Hotels are cheap and mostly sitting at about 10% occupancy. We have our own food, water and Monsters.

We see plenty of police on the roads - especially in Kansas - but I don't see people pulled over at all. We saw 20 patrol cars on the Alabama Florida border stopping cars coming into the state warning them of the 14 day stay at home rule. Very little activity on Waze either.

We hope to be home mid-Friday where we will hide out for our 14 days and watch the world outside our window.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4224 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post