SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Bowe Bergdahl Update..
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bowe Bergdahl Update.. Login/Join 
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Is a firing squad still a possibility for this POS?

Posts: 26904 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
What's that line from Men in Black?

"BEND HIM!!"

Posts: 107582 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 229DAK:
Anyone know who the 2-star (now 3-star) was who recommended against court-martial or imprisonment?

Kenneth Dahl:

Sept 21 2015 General Recommends No Jail Time

immediately followed by

Nov 3 2015 Dahl Promoted

Hmmm......collusion and interference from the Obama White House. Roll Eyes

Posts: 3935 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
Is a firing squad still a possibility for this POS?
Don't know, but the firing squad volunteer sign up line starts behind me.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good news, thanks for the update!

On a side note-it is also entirely appropriate that he was paid and promoted while in captivity. This is how we treat our POWs and there was no due-process even possible on the desertion allegations etc. while he was in captivity. That wasn't PC shenanigans.

That due-process is happening now and it looks like justice will be served. He will leave this an E-1 among whatever else the Court Martial decides.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
In terms of outcomes, one thing we can say to a certainty is that this traitor will not be sentenced to death.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Strambo:
Good news, thanks for the update!

On a side note-it is also entirely appropriate that he was paid and promoted while in captivity. This is how we treat our POWs and there was no due-process even possible on the desertion allegations etc. while he was in captivity. That wasn't PC shenanigans.

That due-process is happening now and it looks like justice will be served. He will leave this an E-1 among whatever else the Court Martial decides.

Exactly. Although due to the seriousness of the charges I do wish he was in pre-trial confinement. He is accused of desertion after all, I'd say he is a flight risk.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Kenneth Dahl:

oh yeah. Ken Dahls got no balls.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post

THIS is what should be happening to the deserter.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11280 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
THIS is what should be happening to the deserter.
It's what should have already happened to him, quite some time ago.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Picture of drew3630
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jsbcody:
quote:
Anyone know who the 2-star (now 3-star) was who recommended against court-martial or imprisonment?

Kenneth Dahl:

immediately followed by

Nov 3 2015 Dahl Promoted

You don't think those two events were related do you? Roll Eyes

Posts: 244 | Location: Northern California | Registered: June 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think he may well be executed. It just may not be a sanctioned execution. Even military prisoners have negative attitudes towards desertion.

Posts: 17144 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
Don't forget Obama playing Grab-ass with Bo's Mom.
Fry him and make sure his sergeants pay is retracted!

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8354 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drew3630:
quote:
Originally posted by jsbcody:
quote:

Kenneth Dahl:

immediately followed by

Nov 3 2015 Dahl Promoted

You don't think those two events were related do you? Roll Eyes

Absolute pure coincidence........even Susan Rice said so. Wink

Posts: 3935 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry to rain on the conspiracy parade, but a promotion to 3 star and a change of command (at any level, nevermind a MACOM), takes a lot more than a week and a half notice...

Edit: an understanding that this pre-ordained promotion and command could be nixed if he didn't play ball would be the more realistic "conspiracy" play.

I don't care, I'm just happy the process is going forward the way it should. Any serious conviction is a win for justice considering the way it all started, with him being hailed as a hero, traded for the worst Taliban leaders possible, and looking like he might skate.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
Bow "Dirtball" pleads guilty to desertion.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/ber...onday-074707026.html

FORT BRAGG, N.C. (AP) — Army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl told a military judge on Monday that he's pleading guilty to desertion and misbehavior before the enemy.

"I understand that leaving was against the law," said Bergdahl, whose decision to walk off his remote post in Afghanistan in 2009 prompted intense search and recovery missions, during which some of his comrades were seriously wounded.

"At the time, I had no intention of causing search and recovery operations," Bergdahl said, but he added that now he does understand that his decision prompted efforts to find him.

Bergdahl, 31, is accused of endangering his comrades by abandoning his post without authorization. He told a general after his release from five years in enemy hands that he did it with the intention of reaching other commanders and drawing attention to what he saw as problems with his unit.

It wasn't immediately clear whether his defense has conceded that he's responsible for a long chain of events that his desertion prompted, which included many decisions by others on how to conduct the searches. Despite his plea, the prosecution and defense have not agreed to a stipulation of facts, said one of his lawyers, Maj. Oren Gleich.

This indicates that they did not reach a deal to limit his punishment, and that he may be hoping for leniency from the judge, Army Col. Jeffery R. Nance. The misbehavior charge carries a maximum penalty of life in prison, while the desertion charge is punishable by up to five years.

The guilty pleas bring the highly politicized saga closer to an end eight years after Bergdahl vanished in Afghanistan. President Barack Obama, who approved the Taliban prisoner swap that brought Bergdahl home in 2014, said the U.S. does not leave its service members on the battlefield, but he was roundly criticized by Republicans. Campaigning for president, Donald Trump suggested Bergdahl would have been executed in a previous era.

While Berghdahl's pleas enable him to avoid a trial, he'll still face a sentencing hearing scheduled to begin Oct. 23. His years as a captive of the Taliban and its allies could be factored into his punishment, but the hearing also will likely feature damning testimony from his fellow service members. The judge has ruled that a Navy SEAL who suffered a career-ending leg wound and an Army National Guard sergeant whose head wound put him in a wheel chair would not have been hurt in firefights had they not been searching for Bergdahl.

The defense also was rebuffed in an effort to prove that Trump had unfairly swayed the case with his scathing criticism from the campaign trail. The judge ruled in February that the new president's comments were "disturbing and disappointing" but did not constitute unlawful command influence by the soon-to-be commander in chief.

Bergdahl, who's from Hailey, Idaho, has been assigned to desk duty at a Texas Army base while his case unfolds.

Posts: 7355 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
This is what SHOULD happen to this POS, but I doubt it will...but then again we have Trump and a hard-charging SecDef now, not Obama and some ass-kissing yes-man:

Posts: 33807 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
The cogs of military justice grind slowly but they grind surely.

Fixed.

tac

Posts: 11322 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
Is there any audio or video of his plea? If I have time later, I would like to make a mash up of Obama, Trump, and Bergdahl in their own words.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15717 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Any guesses as to sentence?

------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post