SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Bowe Bergdahl Update..
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bowe Bergdahl Update.. Login/Join 
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted
Sorry, he has not taken the Aaron Hernandez route, yet.

But...

Military Judge Gives Bowe Bergdahl A Lot Of Bad News Posted at 7:31 pm on July 8, 2017 by streiff

I missed this in the tumult of the past week but good news is always welcome.

When Army Sergeant Bowe Bergdahl was released by the Taliban in 2014 he was feted by the Obama administration despite ample evidence that he was actually a deserter. His parent were guests at a Rose Garden ceremony with Obama, himself. Habitual and reflexive liar Susan Rice took to the Sunday shows to reprise her bravura performance after Benghazi, in this case she told a lie so monstrous that even CNN’s Jim Acosta, who never saw an Obama-related knob shoe he couldn’t polish, was shocked:

RICE: I realize there has been a lot of discussion and controversy around this. What I was referring to is the fact that this was a young man who volunteered to serve his country in uniform at a time of war. That in itself is a very honorable thing.

ACOSTA: But ‘honor and distinction?’

Because of the omelet sizzling on the face of Obama and Rice and others, there seemed to be an initial attempt to fix the case so Bergdahl could just go away.

An Army two-star who conducted a preliminary inquiry minimized Bergdahl’s actions and recommended against court-martial or imprisonment. (Yes, he was promoted.) The commander of US Forces Command disagreed and his legal office determined there was sufficient evidence to charge Bergdahl with one count of desertion and one count of misbehavior before the enemy. Both of which carry the possibility of life sentences.

The next step was an Article 32 hearing, which is the military equivalent of a grand jury but which is not a rubber stamp by any stretch of the imagination, but neither is it definite as it produces a recommendation not a decision. The Article 32 officer recommended that the charges be adjudicated via what is called a Special Court Martial. A Special Court Martial employs a military judge and a panel of three officers as a jury. This would have limited Bergdahl’s liability to 12 months confinement, forfeiture of two-thirds pay and allowances, and a bad conduct discharge, the latter does not deprive a soldier of all veterans benefits.

The four-star who has convening authority for courts-martial disapproved the recommendation for a Special Court and ordered that Bergdahl stand trial on the two charges and face a General Court Martial which can impose any sentence up to and including death.

Then the legal maneuvering started in earnest. Bergdahl asked Obama for a pardon and got nothing. Then his defense team started throwing stuff against the wall in hopes some of it would stick. They claimed unlawful command influence because candidate Donald Trump had called Bergdahl a traitor at least 65 different times. This gambit has been denied for the simple reason that the “unlawful command influence” has a specific meaning.

Another hearing was held in June before a military judge to decide if the charges were supported by the record or if they should be modified. Bergdahl’s team was really aiming to have the “misbehavior before the enemy” charge reduced or dropped altogether. If Bergdahl is tried on the misbehavior charge, whether or not he’s convicted of it, the evidence given to support that charge will ensure a court martial panel returns a really stiff sentence for desertion.

Last week, the military judge overseeing the trial rendered two adverse decisions. First, he decided that Bergdahl will stand trial on all charges. Most damaging, though, was his decision that if Bergdahl is convicted that the jury would be allowed to hear about the injuries suffered by an Navy SEAL and an Army NCO while specifically searching for Bergdahl.

Serious wounds to a soldier and a Navy SEAL who searched for Army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl can be used at the sentencing phase of his upcoming trial, a judge ruled Friday, giving prosecutors significant leverage to pursue stiff punishment against the soldier.

The judge, Col. Jeffery Nance, ruled that the service members wouldn’t have wound up in the firefights that left them wounded if they hadn’t been searching for Bergdahl, so their injuries would be relevant to his sentencing if he’s convicted of misbehavior before the enemy at trial in October.
I suspect we are heading for a guilty plea and Bergdahl taking his chances with a military judge.

Any court-martial panel Bergdahl draws will be composed of officers with combat tours. Bergdahl can demand that a third of his jury be composed of noncommissioned officers senior in rank to him–but he’d have to have a profoundly incompetent defense team for them to think that senior NCOs are going to be very sympathetic to his case.

http://www.redstate.com/streif...rgdahl-lot-bad-news/

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
The cogs of justice grind slowly but they grind surely.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29678 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
[H]e’d have to have a profoundly incompetent defense team for them to think that senior NCOs are going to be very sympathetic to his case.

Ya think?

That was a good summary of the legal process up to this point, BTW, and included some things that I wasn’t aware of. Thanks for the post.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47394 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
The cogs of justice grind slowly but they grind surely.

I hope they grind him into tiny, insignificant bits.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20317 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I doubt that Mad Dog looks at this the same way as the last regime.
Let's hope they can resolve this quickly now.

Posts: 9491 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
Thank God for the change in November. No way this would have happened under another administration.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
This probably happened due to having a new Commander in Chief in office. The last one meddled where he shouldn't have and now the case is firmly in the hands of the military courts where it should be.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
I thought he was the one Obammaz pardoned? Or was that the tranny? Or am I losing my mind?

------------------------------------

├┼┼╕
246R

Posts: 3901 | Location: SE PA | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of drew3630
posted Hide Post
I echo other members comments that these proceedings would have had a totally different spin if the dems had won the election.

Posts: 244 | Location: Northern California | Registered: June 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
The dude->dudette was the one that got unfortunately pardoned commuted Mad

quote:
Originally posted by cmr076:
I thought he was the one Obammaz pardoned? Or was that the tranny? Or am I losing my mind?

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4335 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lkdr1989:
The dude->dudette was the one that got unfortunately pardoned Mad

quote:

I think it was technically a commutation, but yeah, same "person."

Posts: 2475 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:

It was the tranny that Obama commuted...He's going around saying rich people don't pay taxes and 'we' need to make them now...

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/...es-you-know-n2352890

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
quote:

Twink Manning had his sentence commuted by Bam! Commuted means he was let out early; he wasn't pardoned, thus is still a convicted felon. He's just a walking around felon, instead of a prison bitch felon.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12765 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:
quote:

It was the tranny that Obama commuted...He's going around saying rich people don't pay taxes and 'we' need to make them now...

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/...es-you-know-n2352890

I know we aren't supposed to talk about peoples appearance, but this is goddamn frightening. I also find it interesting it's bitching about taxes when I assume our tax dollars paid for its legal bill.

It also looks like a gofund me raised $140k for it to "thrive on" when released from prison, which woudl put it in the upper middle class.. I wonder what it thinks the upper middle class should pay in taxes.

::edit:: I forgot that we got to pay for its hormone therapy too!

sorry. back on topic.

------------------------------------

├┼┼╕
246R

Posts: 3901 | Location: SE PA | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by feersum dreadnaught:
Sorry, he has not taken the Aaron Hernandez route, yet.

There are still some innings left in the game.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16658 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
That was a good summary of the legal process up to this point, BTW, and included some things that I wasn’t aware of. Thanks for the post.

Ditto. That cleared up a lot of the legal mumbo jumbo that's surrounded the whole mess, thanks a lot.

Posts: 7260 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Dbltap
posted Hide Post
Fuck the hormones. He really needs some ECT.

Posts: 458 | Registered: August 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
good news

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53158 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That news helps make this Monday a good day.There is still hope that the deserter gets exactly what he deserves.

Posts: 6612 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
Anyone know who the 2-star (now 3-star) was who recommended against court-martial or imprisonment?

Posts: 9025 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post