SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Seven US Sailors are missing after a US Navy destroyer collided with a 21,000 ton cargo ship 56 miles off the coast of Japan.
Page 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... 45
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Seven US Sailors are missing after a US Navy destroyer collided with a 21,000 ton cargo ship 56 miles off the coast of Japan. Login/Join 
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
The navy could at least get its facts straight so conspiracy theories aren't blowing up all over the place. If not, it's better not to say anything at all.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30297 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
Anyone know what time Japan Coast Guard responded? I can't find anything about it other than they were requested to assist. One might think that would give some idea of a collision timeline. Or at least another fact to the matter for consideration.

Posts: 4697 | Location: Bathing in the stream of consciousness ~~~ | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
The navy could at least get its facts straight so conspiracy theories aren't blowing up all over the place. If not, it's better not to say anything at all.
The Navy's Public Affairs Officers aren't the sharpest pencils in the box.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hobbs:
Anyone know what time Japan Coast Guard responded? I can't find anything about it other than they were requested to assist. One might think that would give some idea of a collision timeline. Or at least another fact to the matter for consideration.
I tried to find direct Japanese CG statements but am not having any luck.

I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
The confusion seems to be in the time of the collision, the time of the first call to the Japanese coast guard, and when the Navy first was contacted, etc.

The destroyer had its radio room wiped out, communications were impaired.

quote:
Others caution that there are potentially many other contributing factors to the collision. Tracking data sent by the cargo ship, the ACX Crystal, showed it reversed course around 2:05 a.m. local time, shortly before the time of the collision given by the U.S. Navy of approximately 2:20 a.m.

However, Nippon Yusen K.K . , the Japanese shipping company that operates the 728-foot-long ACX Crystal, has stated that the collision occurred around 1:30 a.m. That discrepancy hasn’t been resolved. “She did not reverse the course before the collision. She did after the collision,” a Nippon Yusen company spokesman said.
Link

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be not wise in
thine own eyes
Picture of kimber1911
posted Hide Post
This plot shows the cargo ship changing course just before the collision point at 0130hrs.
Destroy simply did not recognize that the cargo ship had turned in front of it.

To me this map clearly shows where the collision occured, if the map is accurate.

“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,”
Pres. Select, Joe Biden

“Let’s go, Brandon” Kelli Stavast, 2 Oct. 2021

Posts: 5267 | Location: USA | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
quote:
The Navy's PAOs aren't the sharpest pencils in the box.

Can you explain what PAO is? Thanks.

Posts: 11812 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
i am not really following every post in this thread or the news on this incident. But,

What is really disturbing is that even the smallest of vessel's could do harm to any Navy vessel and crew. Especially in the world today.

So being on guard and vigilant 24/7 is mandatory. And these ships are outfitted and staffed to avoid all threats all the time. So something like this is just inexcusable at all levels. I don't care if there was a lot of boat traffic. That should of only increased the monitoring level.
Loosing seven sailors to something like this is maddening and heartbreaking.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
http://www.kvoa.com/story/3568...zzle-over-ship-crash

The Japanese coast guard said it received an emergency call from the container ship, the ACX Crystal, reporting the collision around 2:20 a.m. (17:20 GMT Friday).

It was questioning crew members of the ACX Crystal, which is operated by the Japanese shipping company Nippon Yusen K.K., and was treating the incident as a case of possible professional negligence, said Masayuki Obara, a regional coast guard official.

I remember other reports citing a 220am call also.

The call to the Coast Guard would certainly be some time after the collision.

My interest is to keep conspiracy theories down too.

I do not want the Navy to look stupid.

PAO Public Affairs Officer

Posts: 19502 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, so there is no way the collision happened at 2:20am if they called it in at that time.

quote:
Originally posted by sdy:
I do not want the Navy to look stupid.

I know, but it's a little late for that, considering...

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
quote:
quote:

Public Affairs Office / Officer.

The media for the Navy.

I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
quote:
quote:

Public Affairs Officer

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I'm not Navy, but retired USAF.

Every flag officer (Generals/Admirals) has a literal army of staffers. Heck, they have senior officers (O-6s; Bird Colonels/Navy Captains) running coffee errands for them. They also have staffs to build and approve briefing points. I've seen this process up close and personal. I would help build a brief. We would brief the O-5. The O-5 would brief the O-6. The O-6 would brief the General. EVERY STEP OF THE WAY were dozens of people nit-picking the heck out of those briefs. It would be virtually impossible for a major detail like the time of a collision to get through without somebody catching it.

That announcement had to be reviewed by dozens of people before the Admiral got to it. It's inexcusable, to me, that such a high-ranking officer would give bad info following such a high-profile incident. Unless, some E-5 in the Public Affairs Office wrote it and it was briefed without being fact-checked? That, in itself, would be a gross incompetency. . .

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21821 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
Balzé Halzé, still can't figure the 180. Is it something a commercial vessel would do as a time waster if ahead of schedule or something under any circumstance or do they just always stay the course and continue to destination, get in the queue and anchor out. I think you gave thoughts earlier, just wondered if you've given more thought.

Posts: 4697 | Location: Bathing in the stream of consciousness ~~~ | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was Navy and considering the confusion of when the time was reported and the emphasis the Navy places on concentrating on the families of the deceased and figuring out what happened, 2:20 vs 1:20 to keep the armchair commandos from starting a riot isn't one of their concerns.

Is it a mistake? Sure. Inexcusable? Really?

Obviously different priorities between the services, with sailors killed and their families being the priority.

The telling fact is they aren't concerned about the possible rogue ISIS container ship making it's way in the minds of those on the internet.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hobbs:
Balzé Halzé, still can't figure the 180. Is it something a commercial vessel would do as a time waster if ahead of schedule or something under any circumstance or do they just always stay the course and continue to destination, get in the queue and anchor out. I think you gave thoughts earlier, just wondered if you've given more thought.
They figured out they hit someone, and turned around to check...

Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
quote:
They figured out they hit someone, and turned around to check...

In a perfect world, that's the only logical conclusion. What other reason could there possibly be? I got nothing.

wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
Hobbs,

We are thinking the collision occurred at 130am.
(although that is not what the Navy is saying)

The 180 was at 203am.

So the cargo ship was turning around to return to the scene of the accident.

Posts: 19502 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:
Hobbs,

We are thinking the collision occurred at 130am.
(although that is not what the Navy is saying)

The 180 was at 203am.

So the cargo ship was turning around to return to the scene of the accident.

Understood. Just trying to frame it around the promulgated timeline somehow. It just doesn't fit in your minds nor mine at this point. In either time case of collision 0130 or 0220 only opinions have been offered at this point. Sides are being chosen on opinion and defended (vehemently?) as though fact. We just don't have enough facts ... for facts. Too long as a Chief and answering to O-types. Don't assume anything, hold the "thing" up to the light and examine from all sides before reporting facts. Does that mean I will be shocked if you are 100% correct? ... No sir

Be not wise in
thine own eyes
Picture of kimber1911
posted Hide Post
Problem for the Navy is everyone has access to maps and timeline of the ACX Crystal.
They need to get there story inline with the information soon.

“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,”
Pres. Select, Joe Biden

“Let’s go, Brandon” Kelli Stavast, 2 Oct. 2021

Posts: 5267 | Location: USA | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post