SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Seven US Sailors are missing after a US Navy destroyer collided with a 21,000 ton cargo ship 56 miles off the coast of Japan.
Page 1 2 3 4 ... 45
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Seven US Sailors are missing after a US Navy destroyer collided with a 21,000 ton cargo ship 56 miles off the coast of Japan. Login/Join 
posted
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/new...merchant-vessel.html

Posts: 12580 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
First ship I was on had just a few Standing Orders,

One was, " try not to hit anything big"

I shit you not. One of the best skippers I ever served with.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11247 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
Saw this being reported, but nothing was mentioned about missing sailors.

How in the world, in this modern age of technology, does ANYone t-bone a US Naval warship?

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
A collision at sea should be impossible, assuming a competent bridge crew. USN has so many watchstanders, with an OOD, Conning Officer, lookouts, folks down below in CIC watching the radars, etc.

Standing watch on the bridge involves constant scanning of the horizon, both with 7x50 binos and naked eye, looking for CBDR (constant bearing, decreasing range) contacts. Standing orders usually involve waking the Captain when contacts are going to be within certain range. In heavy traffic areas, there are more folks involved.

Which is why a bunch of people are going to be rightfully fired, at minimum, and maybe court-martialed. As it should be.

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of side_shot
posted Hide Post
i hope the sailors are ok but it looks like walmart is going to be short on product

"They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
--Benjamin Franklin, 1759--

Special Edition - Reverse TT 229ST.Sig Logo'd CTC Grips., Bedair guide rod

Posts: 1245 | Location: New Hampshire "Live Free or Die"  | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
holy crap....thats not gonna buff out...

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53086 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by feersum dreadnaught:
A collision at sea should be impossible, assuming a competent bridge crew. USN has so many watchstanders, with an OOD, Conning Officer, lookouts, folks down below in CIC watching the radars, etc.

Standing watch on the bridge involves constant scanning of the horizon, both with 7x50 binos and naked eye, looking for CBDR (constant bearing, decreasing range) contacts. Standing orders usually involve waking the Captain when contacts are going to be within certain range. In heavy traffic areas, there are more folks involved.

Which is why a bunch of people are going to be rightfully fired, at minimum, and maybe court-martialed. As it should be.

A lot of people are probably wondering how this is going to turn out, and how their careers just ended.

Not to mention the thought of doing some quality time in Leavenworth.

No damned excuse for this shit!

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25640 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good hopes to the Missing and any injured sailers.

Posts: 4024 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slabsides45:

How in the world, in this modern age of technology, does ANYone t-bone a US Naval warship?

I'm going to guess Navy doesn't squawk their location via AIS like most ships for obvious reasons, but still...

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10350 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
May God protect those the OOD didn't.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31382 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jigray3:
quote:
Originally posted by slabsides45:

I'm going to guess Navy doesn't squawk their location via AIS like most ships for obvious reasons, but still...

It's on the Navy ship to avoid this kind of thing.

Radar, look outs, watchstanders. Assuming of course they didn't have some sort of power plant casualty / they were adrift at the time of the collision, but considering they are underway now, that seems highly unlikely.

Lotsa heads gonna roll, justifiably. Doubt anyone is going to Leavenworth however.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
dreadnaught is correct. Looking at the damage, this was entirely the fault of the destroyer. Nautical rules of the road have at least one thing in common with automobiles in the US - when you get to an intersection at the same time, the car/ship on the right has the right-of-way, and the car/ship on the left stays clear. If you've got damage on your right side, you've managed to do absolutely everything wrong.

===
I would like to apologize to anyone I have *not* offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.

Posts: 2064 | Location: The Sticks in Wisconsin. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Unrep hose in the pic (black hose)?

Posts: 7011 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by whanson_wi:
dreadnaught is correct. Looking at the damage, this was entirely the fault of the destroyer. Nautical rules of the road have at least one thing in common with automobiles in the US - when you get to an intersection at the same time, the car/ship on the right has the right-of-way, and the car/ship on the left stays clear. If you've got damage on your right side, you've managed to do absolutely everything wrong.

I have very limited knowledge of maritime rules, but I always thought that sailing ships had right of way first, then powered vessels determined by size.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8202 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
And honestly, it doesn't matter who had the 'right of way'. That's an expensive warship fitted with the most modern sensors, to include surface search radar capabilities.

They should have had that container ship on radar for quite some time and taken steps to easily avoid it, regardless who had the right of way.

No telling if the OOD was sleeping, getting a cup of coffee, or banging the YN3 on the copy machine when this happened, but the whole bridge crew screwed the fucking pooch and the CO/XO are done. Not to mention the lives more than likely lost.

I'm not a zero defect kinda guy, minor things happen. But this was a fuckup of epic proportions.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
This old retired Zoomie sends his best wishes and condolences to all affected, fellow sailors, friends, and familiy.

May God Bless.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
I always wondered how two ships, that big, are ever allowed close enough for an a accident unless intentional.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37931 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
quote:
Originally posted by whanson_wi:

I have very limited knowledge of maritime rules, but I always thought that sailing ships had right of way first, then powered vessels determined by size.

No, sailing ships do not have right of way first.

And without any more details, it's not easy to say at this point what caused the collision.

Here's the AIS track of the Container ship ACX Crystal at the moment of collision.

The ACX Crystal is 730 feet long and 39,565 Deadweight tons.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30297 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
The CO was incapacitated in the incident and was being flown off for treatment. He took over in May, after being XO.

The photos show damage to the port side of the pointy end of the cargo carrier.

It'll be interesting to see the radar tracks of these two, and associated helm commands.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
CDR Benson became CO of DDG 62 on 13 May 2017.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Fitzgerald

JALLEN was a bit quicker on the CO date.

Posts: 19505 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post