SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Seven US Sailors are missing after a US Navy destroyer collided with a 21,000 ton cargo ship 56 miles off the coast of Japan.
Page 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ... 45
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Seven US Sailors are missing after a US Navy destroyer collided with a 21,000 ton cargo ship 56 miles off the coast of Japan. Login/Join 
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
True heroism and self-sacrifice!

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:

Assuming these reports turn out to be accurate, my God, what a courageous young man.

He was 37 years old.

And yes, that level of heroism is humbling. I hope it is verified and recognized in some significant way.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30299 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
I believe I saw a comment in one story that he was 3 months from retirement.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Needs a bigger boat
Picture of CaptainMike
posted Hide Post
I would love to see a DDG Gary Rehm. I'd definitely turn out the crew to man the rails for passing.

MOO means NO! Be the comet!

Posts: 2769 | Location: The Tidewater. VCOA. | Registered: June 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oat_Action_Man:
True heroism and self-sacrifice!

Whenever the doom-and-gloom crowd comes around here with the "The US military is finished!" cries, just remind them of this example.

As I've said in other threads, there are still good men and women living the warrior ethos in today's military, despite the efforts of the leftists.

This man was a real hero.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21821 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Gut wrenching to read. May God give his family some peace knowing such a man is part of their family. Such courage.

Also a prayer for those charged with closing the hatch. That would be hard to deal with.

So much heartache and so unnecessary and avoidable.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
Question: the pics I've seen, the damage looks way above the waterline. What am I missing when they're talking about flooded compartments?

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16177 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AllenInWV:
Question: the pics I've seen, the damage looks way above the waterline. What am I missing when they're talking about flooded compartments?

A lot of the damage was also below the waterline. The bulbous bow of the container ship penetrated the hull of the destroyer during the collision.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30299 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Son of a son
of a Sailor
Picture of wxdave
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hobbs:
I'd bet my parking pass on it

How the hell do you still have this? We were shipmates. My parking pass was blue. I was a division LPO in Ops Department at the time.

--------------------------------------------
Floridian by birth, Seminole by the grace of God

Posts: 985 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: May 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wxdave:
How the hell do you still have this? We were shipmates. My parking pass was blue. I was a division LPO in Ops Department at the time.

HA !!! Didn't realize I still had it until cleaning a box in the closet this spring.

Posts: 4697 | Location: Bathing in the stream of consciousness ~~~ | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
A few days ago when I'd seen a photo of FC1 Rehm and read he was 3 months from retirement, I wondered how many Chief's boards had read his package and passed him by. God needed Fire Controlman 1st Class Gary Leo Rehm Jr elsewhere. Rest in peace shipmate. You stood the watch :SALUTE:

Posts: 4697 | Location: Bathing in the stream of consciousness ~~~ | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
It's indeed a small world, Hobbs, I was on the USS Bainbridge from 1984-89. I left the service in July of 1989, FC1(SW).

Rehm sounds like the best of the best probably non-PC FC1, fair winds and following seas, chief!

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6192 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
Wow. Stoic-one. I was an NTDS display tech, DS3/2(SW). Work bench just below CIC by the 48 radar equipment room.

You were onboard when we positioned ourselves between Libya and the JFK Jan 4, 1989 and JFK's F14s shot down two Libya MiG-23 Floggers. I've never seen it reported, but we also held small craft coming towards us from the coast of Libya but the mud runners turned before coming over the horizon after the floggers dropped.

... and DIW in 30 foot seas in the med off Italy when two Greek sailors were in a mast down sailboat and we stopped to rescue. Saved one and SAR had an armlock on the other in the cargo nets but a wave struck and washed the other Greek sailor away.

Good to see shipmates here again.

War Damn Eagle!
Picture of Snake207
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:
Originally posted by AllenInWV:

A lot of the damage was also below the waterline. The bulbous bow of the container ship penetrated the hull of the destroyer during the collision.

Animated video can be found here:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/new...ve-kids-himself.html

Posts: 12537 | Location: Realville | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
and DIW in 30 foot seas

Sounds like the JFK didn't improve with age... in 99-00 we were always dragging a couple screws, bathing / drinking water that smelled like JP5, and down to 1-2 working cats. On workups we were DIW a handful of times... one time all the power went out for a minute...

Needless to say we weren't surprised when she couldn't rise quickly to the 9-11 challenge. Makes one appreciate a newer CVN though. Wink Cold A/C, hot water, plenty of gas.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
... but she did rise for a last shinning moment RHINOWSO. Last deployment (2004) was in support of the Marine's campaign in Fallujah. Launch and recover we did for months, without incident. That said, it took everything out of the cats ... again. After deployment, we met those Marines for Fleet Week New York in 2005. Was great to see them home.

JFK and the towers taken about 1999 I think ... late 90's anyway

Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Yeah, the old girl finally got it done - we just caught it at a bad time, right after it came off 'reserve' and apparently got screwed in the Philly shipyards.

After deployment we sent some guys up for fleet week in 2000 before we chopped to a nuke. They had a blast.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
Finally I am seeing more than just DailyMail pick up on this story.

It would appear that one of the 7 deceased, Fire Controlman 1st Class Gary Rehm Jr had ample time to escape and save himself, instead he continued to go back for his shipmates and may have saved up to 20 before he was ultimately trapped when fellow sailors were forced to contain the water before he was able to return for the final time.

Assuming these reports turn out to be accurate, my God, what a courageous young man. I would hope that ultimately the Navy finds a way to permanently honor him in some way.

I would say the Navy Cross at a minimum.

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
I would say the Navy Cross at a minimum.

Isn’t the Navy Cross a combat award?

I am not familiar with Navy awards in general, but if the hero in this incident had been in the Army, I could see an award of the Soldier’s Medal (noncombat heroism), but doesn’t the Navy have anything similar? (Based on the Wikipedia article, that would be the Navy Medal, I believe.)

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47366 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
highest non-combat Navy award would be the "Navy and Marine Corps Medal" - Navy version of the Soldier's or Airman's Medal.

Which doesn't mean that they can't still name a ship after him...

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post