SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Seven US Sailors are missing after a US Navy destroyer collided with a 21,000 ton cargo ship 56 miles off the coast of Japan.
Page 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... 45
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Seven US Sailors are missing after a US Navy destroyer collided with a 21,000 ton cargo ship 56 miles off the coast of Japan. Login/Join 
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
So, a warship with millions of dollars in sophisticated radar and sensors, a CIC staffed with sailors focused on threat detection and avoidance, look outs all over the ship scanning for anything the sensors might miss, and a bridge crew coordinating all of those efforts and while maintaining the ability to make drastic changes in course and speed.... got hit by a cargo ship 10x it's size?

Seems a lot like a corvette running around an abandoned airport with people standing up through the T-tops looking for obstructions, and some how managing to get surprised and hit by a metro bus.

All charts, graphs, timelines aside, there is something really wrong here. How do that many people tasked with the safety and security of a vessel... fail?

It seems to me that the US Navy spends a lot of time and money to train professionals to man warships so that they are safe from harm. Given history over the last few decades it appears it is a pretty good system. This just baffles me that so many well designed redundancies could fail.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37957 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
My only question regarding this is the speed of the freighter faster than the destroyer. Based on photos of the damage, it seems the destroyer had to be traveling faster.

I don't know much about Navy ops, but how often would a Navy ship at sea, in shipping lanes, be steaming that much slower than a merchant ship?

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38672 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
6guns why does the damage indicate higher speed ?

The higher the DDG 62 speed, it would likely be less damage in this scenario.

I don't know, but it seems unlikely DDG 62 would be higher than 18 kts at 0130 on a normal mission. (that is a guess on my part)

Posts: 19569 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
sdy, only based on the apparent pushing aft of the structure. I say apparent as who really knows, but that's what it looks like. For that to happen, the speed of the destroyer would had to have been greater.

Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38672 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 6guns:
My only question regarding this is the speed of the freighter faster than the destroyer. Based on photos of the damage, it seems the destroyer had to be traveling faster.

I don't know much about Navy ops, but how often would a Navy ship at sea, in shipping lanes, be steaming that much slower than a merchant ship?
Just my assumption here, Balze should know... Merchant ships are trying to expedite delivery of cargo at optimum fuel burn rate to get to a port that generally operates 24/7.
Navy ships, during peacetime, operate on a schedule to moor at a pier that generally isn't staffed 24/7, so it's possible the merchant was running faster.

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6212 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stoic-one:
quote:

Just my assumption here. Merchant ships are trying to expedite delivery of cargo at optimum fuel burn rate to get to a port that generally operates 24/7.
Navy ships, during peacetime, operate on a schedule to moor at a pier that generally isn't staffed 24/7, so it's possible the merchant was running faster.

Point taken.

wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
When you say pushing aft, that implies a head on collision w the 2 ships approaching each other.

W DDG 62 damage on starboard, and Crystal damage on port, it seems like the 2 ships could not have been heading towards each other.

Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:
When you say pushing aft, that implies a head on collision w the 2 ships approaching each other.

W DDG 62 damage on starboard, and Crystal damage on port, it seems like the 2 ships could not have been heading towards each other.
My supposition would be that all of these guesses depend on the angle of impact. Funny things happen depending on the angle and contact points, especially when both objects are under power.

We're not talking about 2 vertical surfaces intersecting at a specific angle.

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6212 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
quote:

That's not what I mean. At the angle you describe, which I agree with, during collision, would cause steel on the destroyer to be pushed in an afterward direction, had the destroyer been traveling faster.

wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
got it

The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stoic-one:
quote:

Just my assumption here, Balze should know... Merchant ships are trying to expedite delivery of cargo at optimum fuel burn rate to get to a port that generally operates 24/7.

Top speed of a cargo is around 20 knots. Running speed is around 15 knots (cost of fuel savings out weighs cost of wear and tear on the propulsion system vs few days saved underway).

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14036 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Most merchant ships travel slower than that. I do believe container ships try to make faster speeds with quicker turn around. Tankers, where I spent most of my career, usually make 12-15 knots.

Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Mixing what we think is true with some speculation, here is one possible scenario

Crystal was at 18.5 kts (21 mph) on course 68 deg at time of collision. Collision was either 0128 or 0129 local time

(above is very likely given Marine Traffic data)

The angle between DDG 62 and Crystal was in the range of 20 to 30 degrees

(a guess given the damage area of the Crystal was only on the port bow)

If your assumption is correct, this could be a situation where the container ship was technically overtaking the Navy ship. If so, it is the overtaking vessel's responsibility to keep out of the way of the vessel being overtaken. (See the full rule below)

As I alluded to earlier, the radar signature of a destroyer from behind can be very small. Moreover, depending on the angle, the only visible light from the destroyer was probably just her stern light (if even on), and I'd venture to say that the stern light for this Navy ship is not overly bright.

But again, that doesn't answer the question as to why the Navy vessel didn't take action to avoid a collision. That is still the responsibility of both ships, obviously.

RULE 13: OVERTAKING
(a) Notwithstanding anything contained in the Rules [of Part B, Sections I and II / 4 through 18], any vessel overtaking any other shall keep out of the way of the vessel being overtaken.

(b) A vessel shall be deemed to be overtaking when coming up with a another vessel from a direction more than 22.5 degrees abaft her beam, that is, in such a position with reference to the vessel she is overtaking, that at night she would be able to see only the sternlight of that vessel but neither of her sidelights.

(c) When a vessel is in any doubt as to whether she is overtaking another, she shall assume that this is the case and act accordingly.

(d) Any subsequent alteration of the bearing between the two vessels shall not make the overtaking vessel a crossing vessel within the meaning of these Rules or relieve her of the duty of keeping clear of the overtaken vessel until she is finally past and clear.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30407 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:

This “coming from behind” geometry is probably not where most of the DDG 62 bridge watch would be focused. And it is poor from a visibility standpoint given the ship structure.
don't forget the aft lookout.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:

I fall back to my initial conclusions, the bridge of the DDG was lollygagging around and not standing a proper and disciplined watch which leads to the question - was this just the nature of those individuals on watch which was amplified when the four to six of them were together; was this watch section so familiar with the routine they lost situational awareness; or was this watch section indicative of all the watch sections under this CO's command?
Agreed.

Lots of people asleep at the wheel, or goofing off, whathaveyou.

It's the only way this kind of thing could have happened.

Inattention, lack of leadership and discipline on the watch section, maybe the whole ship.

Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
In one of the news site links posted in this thread yesterday, a journalist wrote that the Navy ship had a skeleton crew on board. I've not seen a mention of that anywhere else. The ship may have been undermanned and underway in some specific situation or unusual circumstance but certainly not the norm.

Posts: 4697 | Location: Bathing in the stream of consciousness ~~~ | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hobbs:
In one of the news site links posted in this thread yesterday, a journalist wrote that the Navy ship had a skeleton crew on board. I've not seen a mention of that anywhere else. The ship may have been undermanned and underway in some specific situation or unusual circumstance but certainly not the norm.

Take that with a grain of salt and today's journalists ability to accurately report what they hear.

It is like the reporter heard "at the time, there was a skeleton crew..." meaning, "at 0100 there was a skeleton crew awake and on duty." Wink

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14036 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of billnchristy
posted Hide Post
We cruised at 8-12 kts and had unlimited fuel. 18 is getting into the low ahead full range and on gas boats would burn a lot of fuel needlessly.

------------------------------------
My books on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/William-...id=1383531982&sr=8-1
email if you'd like auto'd copies.

Posts: 17916 | Location: Lawrenceville GA | Registered: April 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hobbs:

Agree with what LS1 GTO says about the validity of a media statement like that.

But if it were manned abnormally, even more reason the leadership (CO, XO, senior O-4) should have been integrated into the watch standing routine. IE, taken a firmer hand / watch over things to ensure more compliance.

I've seen that in squadrons when they get mothballed for awhile, or have a minor incident / issues. Each flight is led by a more senior individual, more senior maintainers are on the launch, etc. Steps are taken to rein everyone in to make sure people are doing things right.

Hence the name, leadership.

Because stuff like this rarely just 'happens', because it shouldn't happen. Multiple safeguards failed to allow it to occur.

Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
The Navy isn't disputing anything speculative or otherwise in the media or information other maritime agencies promulgate and isn't forthcoming with very much information. In this digital and social media age, ship's crew is putting little if anything out there. With op tempo in that part of the world lately, who knows what the Navy may have been trying to do. Was the ship ordered not to deviate from course, was protecting a sub or something else on the surface (yeah, I'm really reaching here) ... frantically tried to contact Crystal but the bridge was unmanned? It's all very bizarre.

Posts: 4697 | Location: Bathing in the stream of consciousness ~~~ | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post