SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Seven US Sailors are missing after a US Navy destroyer collided with a 21,000 ton cargo ship 56 miles off the coast of Japan.
Page 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... 45
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Seven US Sailors are missing after a US Navy destroyer collided with a 21,000 ton cargo ship 56 miles off the coast of Japan. Login/Join 
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
quote:
Originally posted by f2:
Vice speculating. Hold your horses. This isn't russia. Is this russia?

You watch too much TV.
I haven't watch tv in more than a year.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:

DDG 62 starboard side before damage
SLC 32 is toast.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: f2,

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by f2:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by f2:

You watch too much TV.

My latest theory. Not ISIS, not Russians...

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by f2:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by f2:

You watch too much TV.

My latest theory. Not ISIS, not Russians...

yup, that's the wardroom - clicking away with their thumbs on smart phones while sporting the iphone hunch. you realize that this was the FITZGERALD's wardrooms fuck up, right?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by f2: yup, that's the wardroom - clicking away with their thumbs on smart phones while sporting the iphone hunch. you realize that this was the FITZGERALD's wardrooms fuck up, right?
If you look at what I posted, its pretty clear where I believe the fault will land. Top to bottom on the Fitz crew.

Of course from the top down, that is the way it works.

The only question was it systemic command issues or simply a few bad apples, inattention, etc that made all the holes line up.

Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
The only speculating going on right now is the how and the why and of course the who (to blame). We simply don't have all the info to go beyond our assumptions here.

There is no speculation about the when. The when is as clear as day. There's no "fuzz" about that, as Comey would say.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30408 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
A minor point, but one that confused me for a while

The Marine Traffic plot at 130am appears to indicate an abrupt 90 deg starboard turn.

It is a turn to starboard, but not quite that dramatic.

The Crystal tracking symbol just before 130am is at time 127am.

127am course 68 deg / 18 kts

130am course 112 deg

So before the apparent "90 deg" turn even starts, Crystal has turned 44 deg

The visual discrepancy is because the data points aren't continuous

The point after 130am is at 133am where speed has dropped to 11 kts and course is 118 deg

The symbols themselves are aligned to show the heading

(yes this is jib jab, but cut me a break)

Posts: 19574 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
I salute the outstanding efforts of the damage control team and crew in fighting the ship and making way to port. BZ, well done.

Lives lost, disrupted, careers lost and for some at the end of the day, will be a career enhancer, families forever changed, friends gone. Mother nature and laws of physics don't give a damn about me nor you.

Could be aliens ... could be Fitzgerald isn't a very good name for a ship.

Posts: 4699 | Location: Bathing in the stream of consciousness ~~~ | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by f2: yup, that's the wardroom - clicking away with their thumbs on smart phones while sporting the iphone hunch. you realize that this was the FITZGERALD's wardrooms fuck up, right?
If you look at what I posted, its pretty clear where I believe the fault will land. Top to bottom on the Fitz' bridge / navigation and cic team.
FIFY

no one should have to die on a routine return to homeport from a P.I. bennie cruise.

Green Mountain Boy
Picture of Jus228
posted Hide Post
War is bad enough but to lose people in this way is just sickening no matter the cause. If it was negligence then those people will have to live with it. Sad all around.

!~God Bless the U.S. Military~!

If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Posts: 5563 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by f2:
quote:
quote:
If you look at what I posted, its pretty clear where I believe the fault will land. Top to bottom on the Fitz' bridge / navigation and cic team.
FIFY

no one should have to die on a routine return to homeport from a P.I. bennie cruise.

Thanks for the clarification of the obvious, on all fronts.

There will likely be plenty of blame all around, but welcome to the thread.

Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:

DDG 62 starboard side before damage

most of the collision damage is in the middle third of this pic
<snip>

And phased array radar antennas right over the damaged region. Hard to understand how the destroyer crew failed to recognize the impending collision, and take evasive action.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8951 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
quote:

sdy's Hong Kong pic bothers me. In the after pic, there's no sign of the yellow, green (?) and red E awards, seen above on the starboard bridge wing (green and red with one hash mark). Was FITZGERALD stripped of them? I looked up other old pics of her starboard side, and they (proudly) display them in each one.

Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
sdy's Hong Kong pic bothers me. In the after pic, there's no sign of the yellow, green (?) and red E awards, seen above on the starboard bridge wing (green and red with one hash mark). Was FITZGERALD stripped of them? I looked up other old pics of her starboard side, and they (proudly) display them in each one.

Agree, I was looking for the same thing. Also, there are ladders shown on the bottom pic that are not shown in the top.

I have to wonder if the top pic is a similar boat, but not the one actually damaged.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12332 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
If you look at what I posted, its pretty clear where I believe the fault will land. Top to bottom on the Fitz crew.

The only question was it systemic command issues or simply a few bad apples, inattention, etc that made all the holes line up.

Was the crew manning the bridge untrained (no paper work), not trained correctly, or was the training gun decked?

With absolute authority come absolute responsibility. The CO's career is toast unless a terroristic type mutiny occurred.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
quote:
quote:

Was the crew manning the bridge untrained (no paper work), not trained correctly, or was the training gun decked?

With absolute authority come absolute responsibility. The CO's career is toast unless a terroristic type mutiny occurred.

I bet there will be more than one blamed. CIC, OOD, for sure, even if they were right in rules of the road, navigator, XO, all of them have some splaining to do.

Do they still use maneuvering boards? Or are those on iPads now?

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by f2:

Different areas topside belong to different divisions for not only daily sweepers but topside preservation. Generally, the deck and hull belong to Deck division while the areas above the main deck are divided up by various others. The area in question is likely the responsibility of Nav or OI division or combination thereof. My guess is the area was recently repainted by the division responsible for topside "P" and those decals/emblems just hadn't been put back on yet. Regardless the reason, their not being there in a picture is of no consequence or indicative of anything not routine.

Posts: 4699 | Location: Bathing in the stream of consciousness ~~~ | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
another aspect of the damage

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sdy,

Posts: 19574 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Needs a check up
from the neck up
Picture of Timdogg6
posted Hide Post
I have little marine experience but I do have common sense. If you are a multi million/billion dollar war ship, aren't you supposed to assume that every thing is out there to kill you?

Aren't you supposed to assume that Alohasnackbar is at the helm of every ship in your vicinity and stay F-ing clear, or be ready to sink that ship?

To have a collision like this has no excuse, to have truly wasted the lives of sailors I am sure will haunt those who bear the blame, but it makes me physically ill to think of it. I don't care your rank or procedure or whatever somebody needed to say what the F is that turn the boat left NOW!

And given the point of impact, I believe that the destroyer was planning to T Bone the freighter and make a last ditch turn to the left.

The entire reason for the Second Amendment is not for hunting, it’s not for target shooting … it’s there so that you and I can protect our homes and our children and and our families and our lives. And it’s also there as fundamental check on government tyranny. Sen Ted Cruz

Posts: 5132 | Location: Boca Raton, FL The Gunshine State | Registered: July 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post