SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Seven US Sailors are missing after a US Navy destroyer collided with a 21,000 ton cargo ship 56 miles off the coast of Japan.
Page 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... 45
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Seven US Sailors are missing after a US Navy destroyer collided with a 21,000 ton cargo ship 56 miles off the coast of Japan. Login/Join 
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
Latest NYT story here.

The photo showing the ACX Crystal suggests that it is impossible to see the danage from the bridge. It took ~30 minutes or so to figure out what had happened and turn around as required to render aid.

Exactly what I believe and consistent with my experience.

The information off of the Voyage Data Recorder for the container ship would be interesting to see. Specifically the conversation on the bridge before and after the collision.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
quote:
The photo showing the ACX Crystal suggests that it is impossible to see the danage from the bridge.
I wouldn't say impossible, but the containers are probably in the line of sight (pic from the op article):

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by f2:
quote:
The photo showing the ACX Crystal suggests that it is impossible to see the danage from the bridge.
I wouldn't say impossible, but the containers are probably in the line of sight (pic from the op article):

No, at night, it would be impossible to see that damage from the bridge. Impossible.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
Fox News, just right now, is still saying the collision happened at 0230. For chrissakes. Roll Eyes

This is ridiculous that they can't get this little but very important detail right.
They are reporting on information on hand, with no speculation due to further discussions and other opinions - that's what I call sound reporting, vice speculating. The facts are locked down, on the Navy side at least.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by f2:
quote:
Fox News, just right now, is still saying the collision happened at 0230. For chrissakes. Roll Eyes

This is ridiculous that they can't get this little but very important detail right.
They are reporting on information on hand, with no speculation due to further discussions and other opinions - that's what I call sound reporting, vice speculating. The only facts are locked down, on the Navy side at least.

The information at hand conflicts with that given time, even from official sources like the Japanese Coast Guard. They are reporting 0230 as fact. It should be reporting that there is a discrepancy at the very least. Sound reporting my muscular butt...

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by f2:
quote:

No, at night, it would be impossible to see that damage from the bridge. Impossible.
Not true, having seen container ships lit up at night like christmas trees. Especially those sheep / livestock carriers - that look like high rise apartments with all of the individual cages lit up - at night.

california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by f2:
quote:

They are reporting on information on hand, with no speculation due to further discussions and other opinions - that's what I call sound reporting, vice speculating. The only facts are locked down, on the Navy side at least.
The information at hand conflicts with that given time, even from official sources like the Japanese Coast Guard. They are reporting 0230 as fact. It should be reporting that there is a discrepancy at the very least. Sound reporting my muscular butt...
Vice speculating. Hold your horses. This isn't russia. Is this russia?

posted Hide Post
The Daily Mail has an article up that an "expert" believes the Crystal was on auto pilot when the crash happened, which certainly doesn't excuse why the Fitzgerald didn't track and take evasive actions. He also concurs that the crash occurred at the 1:30 mark and not 2:20.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/new...erald-collision.html

As an aside, I find it interesting that those containers didn't shift a bit from the crash.

Posts: 4756 | Registered: July 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 6guns:
Looking at the various plot posts, I'm still a bit confused about "our" suspected point of collision. If it's where I think it is, why does the freighter make jog to starboard and then back to port to continue on long before the u turn. It make me think they knew about the collision long before actually making the u turn.

They did a Williamson turn, which is a turn to bring a ship back to the same point while under power (without stopping and reversing which would take a long time in a freighter) In order for a ship to get back to the same spot, you steer to starboard 60 degrees for a period of time/distance (depending on your speed, turning radius, and length) and then make a sharp left turn to make a 180 and you will end up in the same spot. If you make an immediate hard right or left turn you will end up far behind whatever it is you hit or the MOB.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post

Looking from the bow back to the bridge, can you see it? Vice versa?

My guess is no, even in broad daylight.

It ~700', too.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by f2:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by f2:
quote:

Not true, having seen container ships lit up at night like christmas trees. Especially those sheep / livestock carriers - that look like high rise apartments with all of the invididual cages lit up - at night.

They are not going to light up the deck underway in the middle of a busy shipping lane.

And even if they did, I doubt they would still be able to see anything.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
The Navy might be in a bit of a bind. If DDG 62 reported the collision as 0220, Navy will be very careful and absolutely sure before they publicly say something in conflict with the ship.

Big stakes are on the table. Sailors have died. Hundreds of millions of damage has been done.

Posts: 19564 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

It ~700', too.

In lieu of not having a line of sight from the bridge, are there not cameras at strategic points on a ship of this size?

Posts: 4756 | Registered: July 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
quote:

It ~700', too.
Picture FITZGERALD next to her, and the height of her damage - she was lifted up by ACX Crystal's bulbous bow to make contact that high up (my speculation).

I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
quote:
Looking at the various plot posts, I'm still a bit confused about "our" suspected point of collision. If it's where I think it is, why does the freighter make jog to starboard and then back to port to continue on long before the u turn. It make me think they knew about the collision long before actually making the u turn.

They did a Williamson turn, which is a turn to bring a ship back to the same point while under power (without stopping and reversing which would take a long time in a freighter) In order for a ship to get back to the same spot, you steer to starboard 60 degrees for a period of time/distance (depending on your speed, turning radius, and length) and then make a sharp left turn to make a 180 and you will end up in the same spot. If you make an immediate hard right or left turn you will end up far behind whatever it is you hit or the MOB.

That's not a Williamson turn. That is used typically for man overboard situations where time is important. You wouldn't go barreling off for 30 minutes before turning back, and you would start slowing immediately so you would be stopped in the vicinity of the man to ease pick up.

It looks more like a race track, anyway.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tanner:
quote:

It ~700', too.

In lieu of not having a line of sight from the bridge, are there not cameras at strategic points on a ship of this size?

I suppose some ships may have cameras on the cargo deck. I can't say for sure if this one did or didn't.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

That's not a Williamson turn. That is used typically for man overboard situations where time is important. You wouldn't go barreling off for 30 minutes before turning back, and you would start slowing immediately so you would be stopped in the vicinity of the man to ease pick up.

It looks more like a race track, anyway.

Yeah, that's no Williamson turn.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I know what a Williamson turn is. I'm referring to the short jog to starboard right after the speculated collision, which tells me they knew they hit something. Then they went on a straight path before performing their Williamson turn. It was during that straight path that I assume they were trying to decide what action to take and probably in contact with their office for recommendations.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38646 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by f2:
Vice speculating. Hold your horses. This isn't russia. Is this russia?

I'll tell you this, I am 100% positive the collision did not happen at 0220 that the Navy is reporting and 100% positive that it did not happen at 0230 that Fox News is reporting. 100%.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Hmmmm 14 pages and the mystery continues... Interesting reading though. Seems like it's really hard to figure out what happened without the destroyers track.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37950 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post