SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Ideas for a Peptic Ulcer diet?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ideas for a Peptic Ulcer diet? Login/Join 
Recondite Raider
Picture of lizardman_u
posted
I am looking for ideas for a diet friendly to Peptic ulcers.

The reason for this is I just spent 2.5 days in the hospital after going in thinking the discomfort I was having was either caused by a minor cardiac episode or my GI tract acting up again (last time almost nine years ago I had similar symptoms with the addition of acid reflux).

We were able to rule out a cardiac event and a bad gal bladder, but since there was no bleeding I wasn't scoped (that will be done soon at my gastroenterologist's office).

I figure a scope will give the definitive answers.

Very shortly after I eat or drink anything (even water) I start getting gas pressure in my chest, but if I can make it move out by belching or flatulence the pressure in my chest goes away.

I don't drink much alcohol (the occasional beer), I don't drink soda pop (diet or other). I primarily drink some fresh ground coffee and water (I try to intake a gallon of water a day). Today I have only made a half a pot of coffee and so far it isn't bothering me.

So if I could get recommendations for a diet friendly to peptic ulcers that would be great.

Posts: 3564 | Location: Boardman, Oregon | Registered: September 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BlackTalonJHP
posted Hide Post
Raw cabbage juice
Throw in an apple and celery for taste

Posts: 1059 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 18, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I’m surprised the hospital didn’t give you guidance with this.

I had a 3cm bleeding ulcer cauterized several years ago, after which they prohibited

Carbonated drinks
Alcohol
Caffeine
Spicy foods
NSAIDS

Probably a few others I’m not remembering. It helped me also if I ate smaller meals especially in the evening. I usually have a salad for supper. I really miss my Mexican food and a beer.

Posts: 26900 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Recondite Raider
Picture of lizardman_u
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
I’m surprised the hospital didn’t give you guidance with this.

I had a 3cm bleeding ulcer cauterized several years ago, after which they prohibited

Carbonated drinks
Alcohol
Caffeine
Spicy foods
NSAIDS

Probably a few others I’m not remembering. It helped me also if I ate smaller meals especially in the evening. I usually have a salad for supper. I really miss my Mexican food and a beer.

Doc actually recommended carbonation to help any gas bubbles move... but I don't drink soda.

I have cut my coffee intake.
I don't drink other than the occasional beer.
I was told to take a baby aspirin instead of the 325mg aspirin. I have made this change.
I don't eat many spicy foods and haven't had any for the last two weeks.

I am wondering if there are recipes for foods friendly to ulcers.

I do try to drink a gallon of water a day.

Posts: 3564 | Location: Boardman, Oregon | Registered: September 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
quote:
recipes for foods friendly to ulcers.

Oh. OK. This might be a good title for your thread.

Wink

Turmeric is an effective anti-inflammatory spice. It’s an ingredient in curry powder. We’ve incorporated curry powder into our cooking instead of relying so much on peppers for taste. I don’t have any specific recipes, because I just concentrate on avoiding the specific foods that were proscribed.

The endoscopy and cauterization on me was done as an emergency procedure. I had lost a lot of blood by the time they hauled me 150 miles to the nearest facility that could do it. They couldn’t come up with an anesthetist on short notice, so I was just sedated and strapped down. It was “unpleasant”. Most probably you will have a better experience.

In my case, I’m convinced a combination of Cipro and a NSAID was responsible for my ulcer.
Prescribed by my former urologist.

I’m so disinterested in ever going through that again I have pretty much just quit everything they told me to quit, diet-wise.

Posts: 26900 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live Slow,
Die Whenever
Picture of medic451
posted Hide Post
I have a hiatal hernia that was ulcerating on/off for 3 years. Went on the Keto diet in March, dropped 40 lbs and havent had any symptoms for 6 months. Anemia, heartburn and bloating are gone, and I have more energy than I had 5 years ago.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
- John Wayne in "The Shootist"

Posts: 3446 | Location: California | Registered: May 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by medic451:
I have a hiatal hernia that was ulcerating on/off for 3 years. Went on the Keto diet in March, dropped 40 lbs and havent had any symptoms for 6 months. Anemia, heartburn and bloating are gone, and I have more energy than I had 5 years ago.

Healthy Keto seems like a no brainer-getting rid of refined foods and perhaps an elimination diet consisting of meat only (carnivory) and adding back foods that you tolerate. Eggs, beef, hard cheeses, berries, certain nuts. Think of it as a reset/reboot for your digestive system for 30 days

Posts: 3516 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
First, there’s no substitute for professional medical advice. I mean good grief, a hiatal hernia is completely different than a peptic ulcer.

I had a peptic ulcer a year ago and here are the dietary recommendations I followed for my particular ailment, which may not be the same as yours:
- Ulcers are more often than not, a result of a Helicobacter infection. Normally a penicillin and cyclin-based antibiotics are prescribed, in addition to a PPI or bismuth salt.
- Your diet should attempt to reduce the introduction/production of stomach acid, thus you need to:
- Eliminate coffee, soda, fruit juices, spicy foods, nuts and granola... entirely for at least a couple months.
- Too much dairy can actually cause the production of stomach acid, so watch how much you eat. Think a couple of glasses of milk per day.
- Steak & other foods that are difficult to digest, can also cause a spike in stomach acid so beware.
- Low dose enteric aspirin is OK, but NSAIDS are your enemy for awhile.
- Don’t eat large amounts. In fact, I eliminated the 3 meals/day and went to 5 or 6 small bites throughout the day.
- Reducing stress is as important as diet. Remember to rest to allow your mucosal lining to heal.

The most difficult thing to do is eating fairly bland food for 2 months. Tumeric, ginger and most Italian herbs are OK and fresh pasta is a God-send, just maintain the small portions.

Hope this info helps.

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live Slow,
Die Whenever
Picture of medic451
posted Hide Post
Ok, well im not sure what your medical background is but I am a paramedic, not a layperson when it comes to medical issues.
Youre correct, an ulcerated hiatal hernia is not the same as GERD or PUD, however both CAN be relieved by diet changes, and I was recommending Keto based on my experience.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."

Posts: 3446 | Location: California | Registered: May 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
You need to take DGL to help heal the ulcer.

https://www.lifeextension.com/...ements/item12872/dgl

I wouldn't be taking aspirin.

Promoting Stomach Health Naturally
December 2006

By Laurie Barclay, MD
Targeted Protection Against Stomach-Damaging Agents

Numerous medications, foods, and beverages that we consume daily can cause damage to the delicate lining of the mouth and stomach. Fortunately, zinc-carnosine appears to offer significant protection against these specific threats.

For example, NSAIDs such as aspirin, Advil®, and Motrin® are widely used to fight pain, inflammation, and fever. However, these agents are also associated with damage to the stomach. In animal studies, zinc-carnosine protects stomach mucosal cells against injury caused by NSAIDs.16 A recent study from the Imperial College of London, United Kingdom, tested zinc-carnosine in animal and human cells in the laboratory, as well as in human volunteers.17 These studies showed that zinc-carnosine stabilizes the small intestine membrane and stimulates intestinal repair, while protecting the bowel wall against the corrosive effects of NSAIDs.

Mouth sores can be painful and may interfere with the enjoyment of foods and beverages. In additional research, a zinc-carnosine combination protected the mouth lining against ulceration caused by vinegar.18

While alcoholic beverages are widely enjoyed socially, they can cause damage to the stomach's lining. Fortunately, zinc-carnosine may offer targeted protection against alcohol's adverse effects. Studies of rat gastric cells grown in the laboratory showed that the antioxidant properties of zinc-carnosine protected the cells from harmful chemicals, including alcohol. Scientists note that zinc-carnosine directly protects gastric mucosal cells due to its antioxidant effects.19

Pharmaceutical treatment of ulcers caused by H. pylori infection is not 100% effective, possibly due to the increasing worldwide prevalence of antibiotic-resistant bacteria.4 In Japan, physicians utilize zinc-carnosine complex as part of a treatment plan for healing ulcers. Exciting new research from Japan confirms that zinc-carnosine may indeed enhance the efficacy of pharmaceutical strategies to eradicate H. pylori.

In a Japanese study of 66 patients with gastrointestinal symptoms related to H. pylori infection, researchers compared the efficacy of seven-day triple-antibiotic therapy (with the drugs lansoprazole, amoxicillin, and clarithromycin) given with or without zinc-carnosine.20 While 86% of the patients treated only with the antibiotics experienced eradication of H. pylori, 100% of the patients who received the antibiotics plus zinc-carnosine eradicated H. pylori. The scientists noted that while seven days of therapy with the three antibiotics is effective in eradicating H. pylori, the regimen's efficacy is significantly improved by the addition of polaprezinc. While the Japanese require a prescription to obtain the benefits of polaprezinc, Americans can access this important ulcer-fighting therapeutic as a dietary supplement.

Zinc-carnosine has been used widely in human clinical trials for over a decade. In clinical trials enrolling a total of 691 patients, 70% experienced remarkable improvement in symptoms, and 65% of patients demonstrated evidence of healing on gastrointestinal imaging tests after eight weeks of using zinc-carnosine complex.8 These impressive findings confirm that zinc-carnosine offers effective relief from symptoms of stomach discomfort while producing visible changes in measurements of stomach integrity and health.
Licorice Heals Stomach Lining, Blocks H. pylori Growth

One of the most time-honored natural remedies for gastric upset is licorice root, an herbal extract. Modern research confirms what herbal practitioners have known for centuries: that licorice promotes healing of the stomach's lining.

According to Dr. Michael Baker, a research professor of medicine at the University of California, San Diego, licorice has long been known to help promote the healing of ulcers. Baker notes that licorice-derived compounds have the effect of raising the local concentration of prostaglandins that promote mucous secretion and cell proliferation in the stomach, leading to healing of ulcers.21 An extensive review of the scientific literature on plant-based ulcer remedies confirms the clinical efficacy of licorice in promoting the healing of ulcers.22

Recent studies have revealed how licorice may help promote this healing process. Animal research suggests that licorice reduces the inflammatory response leading to ulcer formation by inhibiting the production of pro-inflammatory molecules, including interleukins and tumor necrosis factor.23 The potent antioxidant activity of licorice also contributes to its anti-ulcer activity.24

Licorice extract does much more than promote healing of the stomach lining. Even more important, various extracts of licorice have been shown to block the growth of H. pylori in the laboratory25—even of strains of the bacteria that are resistant to the antibiotic clarithromycin.26 Licorice extract's effectiveness against clarithromycin-resistant strains has led scientists to propose that licorice may have a place as an alternative therapeutic agent against H. pylori.

Further analysis of different extracts from licorice has shown that they contain several beneficial flavonoid compounds that can inhibit the growth of H. pylori, including strains of the bacteria that are resistant to the antibiotics amoxicillin and clarithromycin.27 This remarkable finding led scientists to propose that such compounds from licorice may be useful preventive agents for peptic ulcer or gastric cancer in H. pylori-infected individuals.

High doses of compounds known as glycyrrhizinates, which are found in licorice, have been associated with various side effects, including high blood pressure, low blood potassium levels, hormonal changes, and diarrhea.28,29 Scientists have found that these side effects can be avoided by removing glycyrrhizin from the licorice, without reducing the activity of licorice in alleviating ulcer symptoms and in blocking H. pylori growth.29 Licorice from which glycyrrhizinates have been removed is known as deglycyrrhizinated licorice, or DGL.

Licorice may specifically protect against ulcers caused by NSAIDs. Research has shown that coating aspirin with licorice before feeding it to rats reduced the number and size of ulcers that subsequently formed, cutting their incidence by more than half, from 96% to 46%.30 NSAID-induced damage to gastric mucosal lining was reduced to a greater extent when DGL was given in combination with the acid-suppressing drug cimetidine, as compared to administering cimetidine alone.31

When human volunteers who were being treated with aspirin (975 mg three times a day) also took 350 mg of DGL with each dose of aspirin, they demonstrated less blood loss in the stool than did patients who took aspirin without licorice.32 DGL is believed to stimulate defense mechanisms that help prevent ulcer formation and also promote the healing of damaged mucosal lining in the stomach.
Cranberry Retards H. pylori Growth in Several Ways

Cranberry has long been valued for its role in promoting the health of the urinary system. New evidence suggests that cranberry may also be a potential ally in the battle against stomach erosions.

Laboratory studies suggest that, like licorice extract, mixtures of cranberry and other plant extracts inhibit the growth of H. pylori, most likely by inhibiting a bacterial enzyme and disrupting energy production.4

An exciting study suggests that cranberry may help fight H. pylori infection in adults. In a well-controlled, double-blind Chinese study, 189 adults with H. pylori infection were randomly assigned to receive two 250-ml juice boxes of cranberry juice or a matching placebo beverage daily. After 35 days, 14 patients (14.4%) from the cranberry juice treatment group and 5 (5.4%) from the placebo group tested negative for H. pylori. Since cranberry juice can help retard H. pylori infection in humans, it may be a promising new therapy for managing this infection without inducing the side effects commonly caused by antibiotics.33

Cranberry's ability to retard the growth of H. pylori may in part reflect its high content of beneficial compounds that include proanthocyanidins and other antioxidants such as vitamin C and bioflavonoids.33

In fact, the antioxidant potency of these proanthocyanidins is much stronger than that of even vitamin C or vitamin E, allowing these compounds to scavenge harmful free radicals while inhibiting enzymes needed for bacterial growth.34

Phytochemicals in cranberry extract may disrupt the structure and stability of H. pylori's bacterial membrane by increasing its acid content and inhibiting an enzyme needed for energy metabolism. Many of these compounds appear to work together, producing a synergistic effect that is much greater than the sum of their parts.35

One way that H. pylori does its damage is by adhering to gastric cells using a cellular type of “glue” that contains sialic acid. Cranberry extract contains a high-molecular-weight compound that prevents this bacterial adhesion to gastric cells.36 This novel mechanism of action has led researchers to suggest that a combination of antibiotics and a cranberry preparation may improve H. pylori eradication.

In the laboratory, extracts of various berries, including cranberry, were shown to increase the susceptibility of H. pylori to the antibiotic clarithromycin.37 However, grape, orange, apple, and white cranberry juice lack the anti-adhesive activity of cranberry extract, which may also explain the unique ability of cranberry juice to help prevent urinary tract infections and mouth ulcers.38 Cranberry's ability to inhibit adhesion of bacteria to the stomach may prove useful in preventing stomach ulcers caused by H. pylori.39
Conclusion

Alcohol, pharmaceuticals, fast food, chronic stress—taken together, these ubiquitous elements of modern life can be a potent recipe for both short-term gastric distress and serious damage to the stomach over the longer term. These threats are further magnified by the unrelenting spread of the ulcer-inducing agent H. pylori, which is now believed to affect up to one half of the US population.

Fortunately, a trio of natural therapeutics—zinc-carnosine, licorice extract, and cranberry—can provide safe, effective, synergistic support for stomach health, without the high cost and adverse side effects associated with over-the-counter and prescription stomach aids. While zinc-carnosine complex is available in Japan only as a prescription drug to treat ulcers, it is now readily available in the United States as a dietary supplement. This combination of novel agents relieves gastric distress and promotes stomach health by supporting the body's natural defenses against H. pylori, alleviating the effects of numerous stomach-damaging agents, and promoting gastric healing.

https://www.lifeextension.com/...port_stomach/page-02

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ok, well im not sure what your medical background is but I am a paramedic, not a layperson when it comes to medical issues.
Youre correct, an ulcerated hiatal hernia is not the same as GERD or PUD, however both CAN be relieved by diet changes, and I was recommending Keto based on my experience.

Since you went there... I have a PhD in biochemistry and I’m CEO of a biopharma company focused on metabolic diseases. I won’t go through my 25 years of technical leadership in the field and I still listen to my Doc.

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Since you went there... I have a PhD in biochemistry and I’m CEO of a biopharma company focused on metabolic diseases. I won’t go through my 25 years of technical leadership in the field and I still listen to my Doc.

Good old SigForum. You may well not know with whom you’re arguing.

I’m also surprised you were not given (1) dietary recommendations (2) results of H. Pylori testing (3) H2 blockers like famotidine or proton pump inhibitors like Nexium.

At least you’ll be seeing a gastroenterologist. That doctor will be able to make a more definitive diagnosis, then treat appropriately, which may or may not include specific dietary recommendations.

I’m a cardiologist but have seen and treated lots of GERD and other GI stuff that can mimic cardiac disease; I have GERD myself, and have taken the ride to the ED when the elephant was sitting on my chest in the middle of the night. I reminded myself that most of my heart attack patients thought they were having ‘indigestion.’

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Posts: 18052 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Recondite Raider
Picture of lizardman_u
posted Hide Post
Thank you all. Keep the ideas coming.

I had ulcers in my throat almost nine years ago that mimicked the symptoms I have had for the last few days, but I was unable to determine if my discomfort (pressure in the chest) was cardiac or gastro intestinal.

I do have an appointment with my GI doc on Tuesday morning. I am sure he will be scheduling an endoscopy and a colonoscopy to be done in the near future.

The doc at the hospital ruled out heart or gal bladder issues, and suspected a peptic ulcer, but also suggested that it could be hiatal hernia.

She also suggested I quit taking a full aspirin every morning and prescribed baby aspirin. I have listened to her on this and put the adult aspirin bottle away from my pill regimen.

The ER doc was leaning toward a cardiac event when he gave me two doses of nitro and my blood pressure went down. When my blood pressure went down I felt a gas bubble come from behind my heart and expel itself in a belch. when this happened the discomfort level went from a six down to a two.

The ultrasound of my abdomen (spleen, gal bladder, stomach, kidney) confirmed me being loaded with gas.

At times the pressure on my chest felt like someone took a compressor and inflated me.

I am feeling much better and have gas being expelled out of both ends. Just call me farty Mc farty.

Live Slow,
Die Whenever
Picture of medic451
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
quote:

I’m also surprised you were not given (1) dietary recommendations (2) results of H. Pylori testing (3) H2 blockers like famotidine or proton pump inhibitors like Nexium.

At least you’ll be seeing a gastroenterologist. That doctor will be able to make a more definitive diagnosis, then treat appropriately, which may or may not include specific dietary recommendations.

I’m a cardiologist but have seen and treated lots of GERD and other GI stuff that can mimic cardiac disease; I have GERD myself, and have taken the ride to the ED when the elephant was sitting on my chest in the middle of the night. I reminded myself that most of my heart attack patients thought they were having ‘indigestion.’

Well were not arguing for starters, op asked for Diet recommendations to help with stomach ulcer that he suspects he has but hasnt been diagnosed with. Now its turned into full blown medical advice involving Doctors which wasnt his original question. I didnt ask Dakor for his medical background, I stated I didnt know what it was and I kindly pointed out that his statement of a hiatal hernia being different than PUD is in fact correct. His advice to have this professionally managed and treated is totally valid as well.
I dont feel the need to get into a diploma competition with anyone on sigforum because Ill lose that battle everytime. Im a lowly paramedic with 17 years on the job and I suffer from a very similar condition as the op and was trying to help- thats all.
My advice stands, give keto an honest try once you finished getting scoped (Ive had 3 endos, 1 colon, and 2 pill cam studies- they arent that bad)

Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
I sincerely hope you resolve your gastrointestinal issues. The medical system is famous (or infamous) for treating symptoms rather than root cause. The equivalent of prescribing pain medication for having a rock in your shoe. It's virtually impossible to out medicate a metabolic disorder. Whereas you may have been able to eat anything you want in your 20s, this is no longer the case. Remember, the majority of Healthcare is Selfcare.

Posts: 3516 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Isnt that the truth LOL

I'm alright it's the rest of the world that's all screwed up!

Posts: 1365 | Location: Southern Michigan | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Well were not arguing for starters, op asked for Diet recommendations to help with stomach ulcer that he suspects he has but hasnt been diagnosed with. Now its turned into full blown medical advice involving Doctors which wasnt his original question. I didnt ask Dakor for his medical background, I stated I didnt know what it was and I kindly pointed out that his statement of a hiatal hernia being different than PUD is in fact correct. His advice to have this professionally managed and treated is totally valid as well.
I dont feel the need to get into a diploma competition with anyone on sigforum because Ill lose that battle everytime. Im a lowly paramedic with 17 years on the job and I suffer from a very similar condition as the op and was trying to help- thats all.
My advice stands, give keto an honest try once you finished getting scoped (Ive had 3 endos, 1 colon, and 2 pill cam studies- they arent that bad)

No worries and I appreciate your service as a paramedic. That's what makes this forum so special - when you need something, we're here for each other.