This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/320601935/m/5160016474

September 16, 2020, 11:14 AM
flashguy
My dad may never get to shoot again- he had a stroke Sunday
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
Prayers for your dad’s recovery.

A blood pressure monitor is a good idea for anyone getting up in age. I asked my GP about them. Without the least hesitation she recommended the Omron 3 Series Upper Arm Blood Pressure Monitor:

www.amazon.com/dp/B00KPQB2KG/r..._api_i_mQFyFbNYKPPD1

Mine is a slightly older model. With one check every day, its four AA cells are good for two months. She asked me to bring it in to the clinic to verify it against their professional monitor. It was good.
I measure every day with an Omron wrist unit, and get professional reading once a week--they use Omron upper arm equipment.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth
September 16, 2020, 01:04 PM
357fuzz
Prayers to you and your family. Sorry to hear about your dad.
September 16, 2020, 01:06 PM
HRK
Sorry to hear about it, my grandfather had a stroke, lost his use of right arm, leg and speech was hindered. MY dad bought him a used car a year later and he was out driving around in his little town, learned to brake and accelerate with his left foot which was still good. Hang in there and best of luck..

September 16, 2020, 05:32 PM
Aquabird
Very sorry to hear about your dad.
Prayers for full recovery to him. Prayers for your anguish.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member
September 16, 2020, 05:41 PM
P-220
Thoughts and prayers for full recovery for your Dad!

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve
September 16, 2020, 07:24 PM
thomjb
Will keep all of you in my prayers....

Thom

"Tulta munille!"
NRA Benefactor Life Member
NRA Certified Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer
SAF Life Member
September 16, 2020, 08:50 PM
ulsterman
I had one and made a 90% recovery. If you need any help, let me know. Post a message and I'll drop you an email.
September 16, 2020, 08:52 PM
AKSuperDually
Sorry to hear.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.rikrlandvs.com
September 16, 2020, 08:59 PM
MikeinNC
Just wanted to pop back in and specifically tell you, OP; that I am available anytime to talk or email about the issues I had and general effects.

My email is in my profile and I can send you my number.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker
September 16, 2020, 09:03 PM
cooger
Thank you everyone for the encouragement. To the member who asked- his name is Jimmy.
September 17, 2020, 12:49 AM
sjtill
There is a specialty called neuro-ophthalmology. Ask his neurologist if a referral would be helpful.

September 17, 2020, 08:37 AM
Sorry to hear about your Dad but the brain is a wonderful thing. It can overcome a lot if we just give it time and if it has the right help.

_________

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right.

Henry Ford
September 17, 2020, 09:39 AM
JohnV
cooger I'm so sorry to hear that and can identify with everything you are going through. Last year my dad went to the hospital on my birthday with stroke symptoms and it turned out to be a brain tumor. We had been seeing some issues with him for a while but though it was stress due to work. He went immediately into surgery and thank the good Lord, those surgeons were able to remove 100% of it, but his type of tumor is very aggressive and has almost 100% fatality rate. By the grace of God it has not returned yet (over 13 months now!) but he is not himself anymore. Whats bad is he doesn't realize it. He's angry a lot and that's never been him. After his diagnosis I had to remove all his hunting and gun stuff from his house and it absolutely tore me up to pack up all the old ammo we used to use deer, dove, duck and turkey hunting together. All those memories came flooding back and it was horrible. I am so glad to hear he knows Jesus, I don't see how people can get through life without Him. I'll say a prayer for you and Jimmy. Be encouraged though because a lot stroke issues can get better with time and if not, you can still take him hunting with you! His Grace is sufficient!

Posted from my iPhone.
September 17, 2020, 08:11 PM
Karpteach
Sorry to hear about your dad. Hopefully, in time his vision will improve.
September 18, 2020, 01:33 PM
just1tym
quote:
Originally posted by cooger:
Thank you everyone for the encouragement. To the member who asked- his name is Jimmy.

Thank you, added in to the nightly prayer list Smile

Regards, Will G.
September 19, 2020, 04:28 PM
just1tym
Additionally cooger, I did a search over at the Stroke forum I'm a member of looking for "blurred vision"

There were many replies mostly because it targeted the word "vision" though, from the many posts I weeded thru, the replies to topics were varied but encouraging. Some that had sight difficulties post stroke mentioned that in short periods of time the vision cleared and returned to normal. Some were the obvious exceptions of blindness in one eye, or double vision or more complex damages. But in reading the few, there were several cases that showed improvement. A good source of stroke knowledge from the folks that live and adapt to many different deficits and kinds of strokes. Each is so unique because of the location in the brain and severity of the damage varies from individual to individual. And the same goes for rehab treatment plans. Just about everybody I've met in rehab usually takes their rehab pretty seriously, they all desire to get well and work diligently to do so.

I wish you dad health and great success in rehab.

Regards, Will G.