SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    kohler toilet question
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

kohler toilet question Login/Join 
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted
I am replacing one of the toilets in my house and Kohler has a canister flushing system that I am not familier with. Are they ok or should I steer clear of them? Is there any advantage to them or is it a solution looking for a problem.
We have hard water and that can be rough on plumbing fixtures.

Thanks.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3840 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
I had one in the house I just sold in Washington.
It was quite fantastic. Many years, no trouble. One time it started to “run” a little bit. Opened the tank, cleaned the gasket and life was awesome again. I would have normally replaced the flapper at least twice in the time I had that toilet. One cleaning and that was it.

Highly recommended.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4023 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SF Jake
posted Hide Post
Kohlers newest model has a skirted trapway....avoid that, they are a pain in the ass to install and have a tendency to leak.

Posts: 3112 | Location: southern connecticut | Registered: March 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
Your good to go. The Kohler system works well.

With low water consumption toilets today all manufacturers have moved to something different from what we had 10 years ago. Others use a similar system.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16378 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cgode:
Kohlers newest model has a skirted trapway....avoid that, they are a pain in the ass to install and have a tendency to leak.

Which models. I just installed a Kohler and it installed like a normal toilet. Only PIA is the three bolt system on the tank. That back bolt can be a pain but not to bad with a socket set.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16378 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by comet24:
quote:
Originally posted by cgode:

Which models. I just installed a Kohler and it installed like a normal toilet. Only PIA is the three bolt system on the tank. That back bolt can be a pain but not to bad with a socket set.

What is a skirted trapway and how can I tell which models have or don’t have it?

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."

Posts: 3840 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SpinZone:

What is a skirted trapway and how can I tell which models have or don’t have it?

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/AgokRRGUdls

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4118 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
What is the purpose of that? Just to make a cheaper toilet?

Posts: 11152 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
I installed a Kohler toilet in our house 3 years ago and it is the boss. I'm going to install one in the other bathroom soon. I highly recommend them.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
One time it started to “run” a little bit. Opened the tank, cleaned the gasket and life was awesome again. I would have normally replaced the flapper at least twice in the time I had that toilet. One cleaning and that was it.

I'd love any links or details on this. I've got one that runs sometimes.

Overall we like them, in 3 bathrooms.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12351 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
I have a GP1059291 yellow seal that is yours if you can put it to use. Last house had these and I had picked up a spare when fixing one with a slow leak. It got brought to the current house without Kholer toilets so it is just collecting dust here.

Email me if you can put it to use now or possibly in the future.

edited to add:
If the OP doesn't claim, Georgeair has first right of refusal. Smile

Posts: 3572 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They are very good. I have several Kohlers that are a few years old. There is a flat o-ring that's what the canister seats on to seal. They go bad every 3-5 years and are really easy to change and about $5. No flapper to hang up. I'm very happy with my Kohlers in every aspect, I went with comfort height and elongated bowl.

The canister sits on the seal. On the O-ring package are pictures. But it's super easy to change. Remember orientation of the canister. You'll have to unhook the chain, then twist the center tube/bolt counter clockwise and pull the canister out, you'll see the o-ring in the base, pull it off and put the new one on and reassemble, wipe off the bottom of the canister while you're at it.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SF Jake
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skull Leader:
What is the purpose of that? Just to make a cheaper toilet?

It’s an attempt to make the “look” of a toilet appealing to some by having sleek sides without all the porcelain curves. The problem is it’s a PIA to get the toilet to sit properly on that contraption that bolts to the flange and the two screws that inset horizontally aren’t easy to lign up and and give you absolutely no wiggle room.
Pick a traditional toilet that gets placed directly on the floor flange with the bolts in a vertical orientation....Koehler makes great products and I highly recommend them....this newer design isn’t something I would recommend though.

I’m not a plumber...however my part time gig is working with a long time plumber three days a week for play $$ and I’ve been doing it for several years. We have had issues with the new design on multiple occasions, sometimes having to get a whole new toilet again because they weep water and no one wants that. The plumber I work with hates it when homeowners buy their own fixtures because they don’t realize the problems with certain items....plus he doesn’t make a few extra dollars when they do but really it’s the ease and quality he is most concerned with. As far as ease goes with those toilets....it takes me more than an hour to install....a “normal” toilet takes me about 25 minutes from start to finish..and that’s removing an old one first!

Posts: 3112 | Location: southern connecticut | Registered: March 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
I went with a Koehler Santa Rosa comfort height about three years ago, it has what Koehler calls an "aqua piston", it works well and has a powerful flush. I am very pleased with it.

Posts: 13668 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
My ex-MIL has one. I've cleaned the thin rubber disc which snaps onto the canister; it was caked up with material from her water softener. I also wiped my finger along the seating surface of the canister (the flush valve seat, it may be called).

If used for large deposits, even if it looks clear, a second flush ain't a bad idea. A trade off with low water consumption plus sedate operation.

I'd put one in my house.

quote:
That back bolt can be a pain but not to bad with a socket set.
One word: Hollow shaft nut drivers.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the information. I will probably go with the Kohler. I would probably not have paid much attention to the Skirted trapway thing untill it was too late but I will definitely stay away from it now.

ffips, I don't have a Kohler yet and I had better not need a replacement gasket when I get it Smile
Hopefully georgeair can use it.

Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
quote:
One time it started to “run” a little bit. Opened the tank, cleaned the gasket and life was awesome again. I would have normally replaced the flapper at least twice in the time I had that toilet. One cleaning and that was it.

I'd love any links or details on this. I've got one that runs sometimes.

Overall we like them, in 3 bathrooms.

This video is super detailed, overly so. I didn’t even bother to replace. I just cleaned it and life was good.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4023 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have two or three of them, I like it much better than the older style. Supposed to be able to flush a bucket of golf balls .

Posts: 1188 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Thanks to ffips for the seal! Putting in this weekend.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12351 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
I thought Toto was the Waste Kang of commodes?

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post