SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    WWII Field Kitchens
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

WWII Field Kitchens Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted
I recall that in The Thin Red Line, James Jones talks about troops in battle areas being fed, and that having a field kitchen set up, making nothing more than fried Spam sandwiches, made all the difference in troop morale. The same two slices of bread, with the same slab or two of Spam, eaten cold, was nothing compared to the luxury of this simple hot meal.
I ran across this youtube video by accident and the narrator says the same thing- a hot meal is a huge morale booster for men who have been in the field for an extended time.

I found this this brief video to be interesting and informative. You may as well.

Posts: 107498 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of adobesig
posted Hide Post
Wow,that was interesting. My uncles told me they never complained about SOS in combat. It meant they got hot chow and were still alive.

Posts: 1088 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I ate Spam sandwiches as a kid when Dad was out of work. I have eaten MREs and they are better. Never tried C rations. I could see how that would be a morale booster though.

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
quote:
a hot meal is a huge morale booster for men who have been in the field for an extended time.

I can attest to the truth in this statement.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Retired, laying back
and enjoying life
Picture of low8option
posted Hide Post
Have eaten many a meal prepared by the more modern day version. Food always good and plentiful. An interesting story told to me by an acquaintance who happened to be a WWII Vet but in the German Army who fought against the Americans. He said they always knew when the Americans were going to attack because they were always served hot chow the morning of the attack.

Freedom comes from the will of man. In America it is guaranteed by the 2nd Amendment

Posts: 878 | Location: Northern Alabama | Registered: June 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks! That was very enjoyable and informative.

Bill Gullette

Posts: 1526 | Location: Behind the Pine Curtain  | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny 3eagles:
quote:
a hot meal is a huge morale booster for men who have been in the field for an extended time.

I can attest to the truth in this statement.

As can I. Even hot coffee can be heaven sent to someone who doesn’t drink coffee. Even now when I backpack, food planning to make the experience enjoyable makes all the difference. Thanks for the video.

Posts: 6009 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
Excellent vid. Very informative. As a WW2 history fan, I am a bit sheepish that I never thought of the WW2 field kitchen before.

Posts: 3144 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
I have now been inspired! I wonder how much of this equipment I can find to try to replicate even a small kitchen? I was always a big Kent Rollins fan because he restored a actual old chuck wagon and fed ranchers out of the old chuck wagon using original recipes and equipment. He's gone complete commercial now and I don't think he does much of the chuck wagon stuff anymore.

I love outdoor cooking equipment and I would love to be able to replicate and use a WWII kitchen. Off to Duck Duck Go I go!! If anybody knows of any sites where I might source some of this stuff point me to it! Para thanks for the great post!

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8524 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
A hot spam sandwich woulda been way better than a wet cheese and mustard sandwich one cook used to send over to us on boardings.....pretty much hated that guy....

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11270 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can't remember the last time I had a cold MRE main meal...I always heat them up, even in all during Ranger School.

Modern "MKT" field kitchens aren't much different. They are trailer mounted now, fold down the sides and get to cookin'! The "mermites" are a different shape, but exact same concept.

One thing I like about Army culture is the officers eat last. With field chow, it is not uncommon for things to run out. If I just have some bread and veggies so be it, at least the enlisted guys got everything to eat.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
We always had one of the stove units with two tanks at elk camp. Bacon and a little etc. was always good.

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6312 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sleepla8er
posted Hide Post

A movie and a hot meal, thanks for sharing Cookie!!!
Big Grin

Posts: 2856 | Location: San Diego, CA  | Registered: July 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I always heat them up, even in all during Ranger School.

When did Ranger School go soft? I remember being shorted C-Rations on purpose, but that was 1967!

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4263 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
A theme, the Spam on bread, is also in his novel From Here To Eternity.

Sergeant Maylon Stark orders all men be given a hot meal upon request at any hour. This meal would be fried Spam and toasted cheese on bread with hot coffee.

Camping beside Wilson Lake (Reservoir) in Kansas over Czech Fest weekend, my vittles were only black coffee and grilled Spam ... An easy meal to pack. Some bread would have been nice, though.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That was great. Not trained as a service cook I got to fill in as directed. Hot food is the bee's knee's when you are doing Uncles work no matter the branch. As for Spam at my old age 58 I still make a fried Spam and eggs sandwich for breakfast when I can. Old ways die hard. VI

Posts: 646 | Registered: July 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Stupid monitor...in and out of being fuzzy. Call me an old softie, but there's something that gets to me when I watch that video and think about our men and women in uniform who go through so much in battle and every day rigor and all it takes is a simple hot meal to pick up their spirits...even if it IS creamed tuna on toast. It REALLY gets to me when thinking about those young boys...boys...of WWII, Korea, and Nam. There's so much we take for granted living behind the shelter and cloak of protection our military provides.

When my bro was deployed in a rugged mountainous area in some far off -shitistan country, he said the food in base camp was actually good and kept them going after flying long, multi-hour sorties. Makes you think about conditions during the Revolutionary War and The Civil War, for example...

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
God will always provide
Picture of Fla. Jim
posted Hide Post
Very interesting! Only food/drink stories I heard from the old man about WWII were of being separated from his company and finding a french wine cellar to ahh ruminate in for a few days with his group. He did still enjoy a spam sandwich from time to time though, and sometimes he looked both wistful and sad at the same time while consuming it. Took me awhile to figure out why.

Posts: 4409 | Location: White City, Florida | Registered: January 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
The field kitchen in that video wasn't too different from what we had in the 1980's. The stoves were different, but those imersion heaters look almost identical. We didn't have any of those long wands for lighting them. We stood back and tossed a lit match into them and hoped the lit. sometimes they exploded and sent the exhaust pipe up like an Estes rocket. Chow in the field, good times.....

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SgtGold,

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
Definitely an improvement over the “gulashkanone” from the Great War/WW1.

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2698 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post