SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Zipper Lubricant
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Zipper Lubricant Login/Join 
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted
I received my new NRA jacket and the zipper is very difficult to operate. I have tried a bar of soap, any other suggestions?

Be civil please.

Posts: 5620 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
I've always heard candle wax.

Posts: 4697 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
Candle wax, or sealing/paraffin wax.

Rubbed into the metal parts of the zipper.

Those spray lubes are likely to stain the material.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
I like to use bees wax for that.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yep, wax. In a sewing shop you might be able to find zipper wax. Looks like a colorless crayon.

But any ol' wax should do.

ARman

Posts: 3151 | Registered: May 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
I use Triflow, but I keep it on hand for other purposes.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15717 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
Froglube....

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
I now use Hornady Unigue Case Lube (it's sorta waxy)...works equally well with stubborn zippers and rifle cases Smile...I've also used pure bee's wax as well as Johnson's Past Wax or "Snow Seal" if you have it.

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10587 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i use bees wax for this, and wooden drawer lube

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Press hard,
Three copies
posted Hide Post
Plain chapstick, we were issued generic tubes of the stuff for cold weather ops. Labeled “zipper wax”. Works pretty good on keys/locks too.

A Veteran, whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve, is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including my life."

Posts: 2200 | Location: VA | Registered: June 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
Renaissance Wax - just apply with fingers; one application will do....

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Tgrshrk99
posted Hide Post
Chapstick x2.

Posts: 606 | Location: Between here and the end of the line | Registered: November 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

Lubriplate, NLGI #2.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
Thread title just sounds wrong.......

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4577 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Wax. Then zipper on, zipper off. X500. If that doesn’t work, repeat.

Posts: 9509 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Or rub some whale blubber on it...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43881 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Use zipper lube. Several companies make it and sell it. West Marine sells it.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The rig master that I have used for the past 15 years to annually repack my reserve parachute suggested "pure" silicon spray. Ace Hardware sells it. It works very well.

Posts: 779 | Location: Colorado | Registered: October 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
Or rub some whale blubber on it...

Why would rubbing Rosie O'Donnel on it help with a sticky zipper?

I found what you said riveting.

Posts: 10705 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
I could not have imagined there was so much expertise in this area but were are on the great Sigforum. I should not be surprised.

"And where are you going dear ?... I'm goin to West Marine to git some zipper lube..."

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8682 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post