SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Gold & Silver selling advice needed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gold & Silver selling advice needed Login/Join 
Picture of rexles
posted
My MIL needs to liquidate quite a bit of gold and silver and I would like to do it all in one transaction rather than selling a little here a little there.
Much of the silver is "junk" coins.
Also have 2 boxes of West Point mint 2010 silver bullion rounds with 25 tubes of 20 coins in each box.
Gold is in coins as well with 3 Suisse 1oz bars.
Who could handle a sale this large?

NRA Life member
NRA Certified Instructor
"Our duty is to serve the mission, and if we're not doing that, then we have no right to call what we do service" Marcus Luttrell

Posts: 1113 | Location: Holland, OH | Registered: May 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Call around to a few places in her area to see what they buy for without alluding to the quantity. Be ready to do some quick math then ask how long it would take them to compete the transaction.

Most places in San Diego do not keep the kind of cash on hand which you're describing and most sellers prefer a cashiers check vs a business check as such, the buyer may need a day or two to get the cashiers check.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
I'm in a large metro area, but we have several "coin shops" that could handle that with no problem at all. They'll cut a check on the spot.

You're well within the reporting requirements that would trigger a 1099 B.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15717 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
My dad would be happy to give you a price for the entire lot. My email is in my profile if you would like to talk to him. He could also give you a baseline of what the collection is worth and why before you shop it locally. He is experienced at doing large transactions with out of state buyers and sellers.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TXJIM:
My dad would be happy to give you a price for the entire lot. My email is in my profile if you would like to talk to him. He could also give you a baseline of what the collection is worth and why before you shop it locally. He is experienced at doing large transactions with out of state buyers and sellers.

OP - ROAD TRIP!! Big Grin

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
quote:

OP - ROAD TRIP!! Big Grin

Yeah, he just texted me back and said the quantity of silver vs the price of silver might make shipping problematic Big Grin

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
Just a heads up to look into, my dad says that he believes the state of Ohio charges an 8% tax on bullion transactions. He suggest you look into a large national dealer or driving to a neighboring state to sell. 8% would be a big figure on your collection.

Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
Jewelers Row, Philadelphia, has several metals dealers which will pay spot less discount. In cash, naturally.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rexles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Just a heads up to look into, my dad says that he believes the state of Ohio charges an 8% tax on bullion transactions. He suggest you look into a large national dealer or driving to a neighboring state to sell. 8% would be a big figure on your collection.

Her Accountant told us that he is pretty sure Ohio Gov Kasich did away with that tax. I think it was a sales tax the seller charged when you bought. I will check into that more though. I am only a few miles from Michigan anyway.

NRA Life member
NRA Certified Instructor
"Our duty is to serve the mission, and if we're not doing that, then we have no right to call what we do service" Marcus Luttrell

Posts: 1113 | Location: Holland, OH | Registered: May 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
I was going to say 47th street in NYC (the diamond district.) But this wouldn't be exactly convenient.

quote:
Originally posted by Woodman:
Jewelers Row, Philadelphia, has several metals dealers which will pay spot less discount. In cash, naturally.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free radical
scavenger
Picture of rh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rexles:
My MIL needs to liquidate quite a bit of gold and silver and I would like to do it all in one transaction rather than selling a little here a little there.
Much of the silver is "junk" coins.
Also have 2 boxes of West Point mint 2010 silver bullion rounds with 25 tubes of 20 coins in each box.
Gold is in coins as well with 3 Suisse 1oz bars.
Who could handle a sale this large?

https://www.apmex.com/ can handle transactions of $10K+ with a reasonable discount and https://www.providentmetals.com/ can as well. Liquidity is also available in SIGforum classifieds, but you would need to post there.

Posts: 1140 | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
I'll just add that I have bought several thousand dollars worth of silver from TXJIM's father.

Posts: 5760 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Our very own David Truong of Mimis Jewelry isdavid@mimisjewelryinc.com

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...830074024#5830074024

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13400 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
No need to handle every aspects of our lives through the internet. Shipping stuff here, mailing it there, phone calls, e-mail, etc.

Looks like you're just outside of Toledo. Here you go:

quote:
Toledo Coin Exchange is the area's largest buyer and seller of Bullion (Gold, Silver, & Platinum) coins, bars and bags

http://www.toledocoin.com/index.html

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15717 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:

About the only nice thing going for California, if you buy bullion (gold and silver to include Eagles, Maple Leafs, Pesos, Kangaroos, etc)) in quantities at or exceeding $1,500, the purchase is tax free.

When selling, of any quantity, back to a dealer there is no tax.