SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Chicago "dyke march" - How inclusive! People asked to leave for having *gasp* Israeli flags!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chicago "dyke march" - How inclusive! People asked to leave for having *gasp* Israeli flags! Login/Join 
posted
The left is very tolerant...unless it's something they disagree with, of course. Then fuck your free speech.

A day before the city's massive annual Pride Parade, the 21st Annual Dyke March drew over a thousand people to its first march and rally in Little Village this year, bringing with it plenty of rainbow flags and slogans supporting trans people and people of color. However, in the wake of the march the Chicago Dyke March Collective has faced accusations of anti-semitism over a controversial decision to ask some Jewish people to leave the rally. An updated response from a Dyke March organizer is below.
The annual Saturday march is often celebrated for feeling less corporate and more racially inclusive than the annual Pride Parade, and marchers chanted "We Are Dyke March" in Spanish and English as they made their way from the corner of Lawndale Avenue and 26th Street to Piotrowski Park. Some of our favorite signs we spotted between the parade route and the park proclaimed, "Gender is fake, do what you want" and "Sanctuary for all, no exceptions."
Still, there were some contentious moments in this year's march: a small cadre of Christian extremist protesters gathered at the park's edge, where they chanted homophobic rhetoric until a marching band from Dyke March marched around them and drowned them out. According to the Windy City Times, three Dyke March participants were asked to leave by organizers because they were carrying Jewish Pride flags—a move that confused and angered some, but was lauded by others who thought the flags represented an anti-Palestinian point of view. The Windy City Times has a full story on the decision, but here's one excerpt:
According to one of those individuals—A Wider Bridge Midwest Manager Laurel Grauer—she and her friends were approached a number of times in the park because they were holding the flag.
"It was a flag from my congregation which celebrates my queer, Jewish identity which I have done for over a decade marching in the Dyke March with the same flag," she told Windy City Times.
She added that she lost count of the number of people who harassed her.
One Dyke March collective member asked by Windy City Times for a response, said the women were told to leave because the flags "made people feel unsafe," that the march was "anti-Zionist" and "pro-Palestinian."
"They were telling me to leave because my flag was a trigger to people that they found offensive," Grauer said. "Prior to this [march] I had never been harassed or asked to leave and I had always carried the flag with me."

Update: Iliana Figueroa, a Dyke March Collective member, spoke to Chicagoist Sunday afternoon about the mounting criticisms on social media that Dyke March is facing in the wake of the march for the decision to ask the three people to leave. She says the Dyke March Collective is not anti-Semitic, and the decision reflected the members' desire to support pro-Palestinian participants who believed the flags symbolized Zionism.
"Yesterday during the rally we saw three individuals carrying Israeli flags super imposed on rainbow flags. Some folks say they are Jewish Pride flags. But as a Collective we are very much pro-Palestine, and when we see these flags we know a lot of folks who are under attack by Israel see the visuals of the flag as a threat, so we don't want anything in the [Dyke March] space that can inadvertently or advertently express Zionism," she said. "So we asked the folks to please leave. We told them people in the space were feeling threatened."
Figueroa also said she gave the people her cell phone number and offered to discuss the decision with them more later. She added that they didn't leave immediately, but stayed at the Dyke March rally for "a few hours."
Figueroa added that the collective will release a statement on the incident after it finishes crafting one, and that members have asked pro-Palestinian organizations and others to release statements of solidarity with Dyke March as well. In the meantime, the collective is facing accusations of anti-semitism on social media.
Chicagoist is working to contact the people who were asked to leave, and will update this post if we hear back.

Posts: 1179 | Registered: June 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
So I guess they are saying they accept Palestinian gays, but not Israeli gays. Roll Eyes

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
This stupidity has no bounds

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37950 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No I think that it is showing that they DON'T really accept every body else but they want everyone to accept them. Usual two faced liberal crap!

Posts: 1833 | Location: central Alabama | Registered: July 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Duplicity and hypocrisy at its finest. Where's that horse they rode in on.....

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
quote:
But as a Collective we are very much pro-Palestine

Who kill gays...

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39744 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
These dyke organizers are so fuckin' stoopid, it is impossible to convey how moronic they truly are.

I guess they have no idea that women in Palestine are second-class people, who are forbidden to participate in many things males are allowed. Or that "honor killings" on women from husbands and family go undeterred. Or that homosexuals are arrested and tortured; that homosexuality is unacceptable.

Colossally stupid.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16676 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
massive complaints from all the gay Arabs apparently...

======================================

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
According to the Windy City Times, three Dyke March participants were asked to leave by organizers because they were carrying Jewish Pride flags—a move that confused and angered some, but was lauded by others who thought the flags represented an anti-Palestinian point of view.

Kind of a rhetorical question, but which of them hangs gays from construction cranes?
Roll Eyes

Posts: 27927 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It must be the blue color of the flag that offends them.

Posts: 12658 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
If it weren't for double standards, the left would have no standards at all.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23220 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:
These dyke organizers are so fuckin' stoopid, it is impossible to convey how moronic they truly are.
That is a racist, homophobic comment, and I feel both triggered and threatened by it. PARA will be along shortly to ask you to leave so the rest of us can return to our safe space.
quote:
I guess they have no idea that women in Palestine are second-class people, who are forbidden to participate in many things males are allowed. Or that "honor killings" on women from husbands and family go undeterred. Or that homosexuals are arrested and tortured; that homosexuality is unacceptable.
That's all just right wing propaganda that never happens. I can't believe you fell for such blatant lies perpetrated by people exploiting their white privilege. You should be ashamed of yourself.

[/ridiculous sarcasm off Wink]

Yes, these people are stupid on steroids and then some.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
4-H Shooting
Sports Instructor
Picture of Zecpull
posted Hide Post
This is a sign of the times.. After the Orlando shooting last year.. I saw so many Gays posting they stand behind Islam..and anyone that isnt has Islamophobia .. I ask a friend of mine that posted it if she knew what Islam thought of Gay people .. She said all her friends have been told to Not be against Islam. I think the Left has them indoctrinated well..

'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but
> because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton

NRA Endowment Life member
NRA Pistol instructor...and Range Safety instructor
Women On Target Instructor.

Posts: 9071 | Location: Wooster,Ohio | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
That's all just right wing propaganda that never happens. I can't believe you fell for such blatant lies perpetrated by people exploiting their white privilege. You should be ashamed of yourself.

bigdeal beat me to it. I have actually had libtards say this to me. Roll Eyes

I found what you said riveting.

Posts: 10703 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dykes and their leftist hypocrisy, this was the posting from the San Francisco Dyke March, lotsa specific about who can participate and why. Gotta know your place you know...

https://www.facebook.com/sfdyk...4306/?type=3&theater

Posts: 14634 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ScreamingCockatoo:
quote:

Who kill gays...

You make a good point. I have wondered about liberals. They seem to be quite pro-Islam, also pro-LGBT. But sooner or later there will be a clash between the two, which side will the libs take then??

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
quote:

So their members can't think for themselves. Jeez....

Sounds like. We are for your rights as long as you believe what we do.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16391 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
But as a Collective...

Somewhat comical, isn't it. Me thinks these morons have spent too much time watching Star Trek in their parents basement.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of scot818
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by comet24:
quote:

Sounds like. We are for your rights as long as you believe what we do.

No it means "we are cowards who are afraid of muslims. We will be their friend so maybe they wont kill us until they have killed everyone else."

Posts: 1442 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: May 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
If it weren't for double standards, the left would have no standards at all.

+1

Posts: 11837 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post