SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Any Type 2 diabetics or medical professionals familiar with in in the house?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any Type 2 diabetics or medical professionals familiar with in in the house? Login/Join 
posted
I have a question...

So my doctor routinely sends me for blood. In January 2017 he sent me for blood for a bunch of routine stuff. When I went to see him in late October, I glanced at my blood test results and saw my fasting blood sugar was 108, which is higher than normal. He never told me.

So of course this gives me grave anxiety. I admittedly haven't been an optimal weight. 5'9 and up to 190, which isn't huge but all around the midsection,and eating like shit.

This was a wakeup call for me. He sent me for more bloodwork. I started working out like crazy, eating only healthy food, and stopped with the booze. In a few days i lost a few pounds. I went and tested again.

My fasting was 6.4 which converts to 115, which he says is higher than normal but my A1C was 5.0, which he said was perfect.

From my online reading the A1C number is really important. But he didn't put much stock in it, instead said the fasting one was important.

I had been under extreme stress for the days leading up to the test, and I hate hate getting blood drawn so I was stressed about that too.
Could that affect anything?

Why would one number be high and one be good?

I'm confused.

Posts: 1179 | Registered: June 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
A fasting sugar of 6.0 can't be right. Not compatible with life.
Normal blood glucose is 60-100. Maybe recheck and post again?
Your A1c sounds just perfect and that's the measurement to pay attention to. It measures your 90 day average as opposed to a moment in time.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RNshooter:
A fasting sugar of 6.0 can't be right. Not compatible with life.
Normal blood glucose is 60-100. Maybe recheck and post again?
Your A1c sounds just perfect and that's the measurement to pay attention to. It measures your 90 day average as opposed to a moment in time.

Bruce

The figure I got was 6.4 which I think is the measurement they use, which i think translates to 115?

My doctor didn't even pay attention to A1c really, said the fasting blood glucose is what people get diagnosed on. He said that one has been rising and that's concerning even though my A1c is good.

Posts: 1179 | Registered: June 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fasting blood glucose levels aren't measured as a "6." The A1c is measured that way. It is a 3 month average (in essence) of your daily blood glucose levels. I am considered an uncontrolled diabetic at this point, my last A1c was 8.2. "Normal" is considered 7 or below. I would kill for a 6.

There are calculators on line that will convert an A1c into a blood glucose level, and vice versa. You might have a look.

Stress does affect blood glucose levels, as do many other things. If you are concerned, 20 minutes a day of aerobic exercise will help. Chromium Picolate (sp) supplements will help for a while. Cinnamon capsules also will help control your levels, and eating a couple of eggs four or five times a week will also help.

Listen to your doctor, but if you are really concerned, see an endocrinologist.

Good luck!

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Listen to your doctor, but if you are really concerned, see an endocrinologist.

Good luck!

^^^^
This. An endocrinologist is the way to go. I'm not sure what your doctor is talking about your numbers look good and as mentioned above stress can affect your A1C. Here is some advice, go easy on the carbs.

It's kids like you, who make this bus late.

Posts: 884 | Location: Weirton,WV | Registered: April 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Needs a bigger boat
Picture of CaptainMike
posted Hide Post
My AM fasting number is usually quite high, 150+.
Yet I can still turn in A1C's in the mid 5's.
My liver starts dumping glucose at around 5:30 AM and my blood glucose will continue to rise unless I eat something or get a bunch of exercise. (I can't eat anything for my "fasting" bloodwork so my BG number is usually alarmingly high) If you are concerned you could get a BG meter and test throughout the day to see where your fluctuations are. You could also ask about a glucose challenge test.
With your A1c I don't think you have anything to worry about. (yet) Watch your carbohydrate intake and you should be fine. It sounds to me like your GP has no clue about diabetes. I would take his advice with a grain of salt and seek a second opinion if you are concerned.

MOO means NO! Be the comet!

Posts: 2769 | Location: The Tidewater. VCOA. | Registered: June 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free radical
scavenger
Picture of rh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by acidjazz:
My doctor didn't even pay attention to A1c really, said the fasting blood glucose is what people get diagnosed on.

And a doctor in Seattle does not even bother with blood glucose levels, only A1c. The matter is still controversial, but A1c should not be ignored.

quote:
He said that one has been rising and that's concerning even though my A1c is good.

This matter is complicated, but your doctor is doing a good job of managing your diabetes. (A statement of rare nature by me.) I do think that are making your situation worse by worrying about diabetes as that will increase your glucose level.

Do you not have a blood glucose monitor? You really should, and you should monitor your blood glucose regularly, but not too often. Exercise, stress, and diet all cause fluctuations in blood glucose. Ask your doctor for more information. (Try to keep it under 150-160 to prevent nerve damage.)

Posts: 1140 | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free radical
scavenger
Picture of rh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CaptainMike:
My AM fasting number is usually quite high, 150+.
Yet I can still turn in A1C's in the mid 5's.

Your post indicates that you already understand Dawn Phenomenon which occurs in most humans, diabetic or not.
quote:
Originally posted by CaptainMike:
It sounds to me like your GP has no clue about diabetes. I would take his advice with a grain of salt and seek a second opinion if you are concerned.

This matter is controversial Smile An endocrinologist's opinion could not hurt if one is both available and affordable, but OP's glucose figures are not alarming.

Posts: 1140 | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post