SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Looking at table saws (edit - purchased / thanks arcwelder76)
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking at table saws (edit - purchased / thanks arcwelder76) Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Sawstop left a bad taste in a lot of people's mouths when they tried to get OSHA to mandate their patented design be installed in all tablesaws.

http://www.finehomebuilding.co...-rules-for-tablesaws

Posts: 512 | Location: Pearland, Tx | Registered: June 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^

I was aware of that when I bought mine, but my fingers mattered more than the politics.

Posts: 8955 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
I am going to step out of line here a little bit.
Not at all.
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
If you are a hobbyist there is pretty much no need for a table saw. ...
That's mostly where I am at. I would like to have a table saw around. A cabinet saw is way too much saw for what I want or need.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mark123,

Posts: 45373 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You have to be realistic about the precision you can accomplish with a contractor's level saw.
I have a Ryobi. Don't get a Ryobi.
The Rigid looks pretty nice.
Bigger, heavier, and more expensive generally really is better. So plan accordingly. Smile

"Crom is strong! If I die, I have to go before him, and he will ask me, 'What is the riddle of steel?' If I don't know it, he will cast me out of Valhalla and laugh at me."

Posts: 6641 | Registered: September 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
The Saw Stop table saws look impressive. I don't use my table saw much and it is a Ryobi BT3100 and has done well for me over the years but If I was going to be using a table saw a lot I would get a Saw Stop. Also be very careful ripping wood as it can shoot out at extreme high speed if pinched by the blade. There is safety equipment on the table saws to minimize that but I always stand off the the side of the board when ripping.

Posts: 9747 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a DeWalt portable saw, it works quite well. For small projects, it would fufill your needs. However the Bosch Contractors saw is larger and if you have room for it, I would buy that.

Finger injury is mostly about being careful and following the rules.

-c1steve

Posts: 4052 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
Now that Black has widened the conversation I too really like track saws for their bang for the buck.

Possibly start with one if those and see how well woodworking fits you. You can then add a cabinet saw if you demonstrate the need.

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shiftyvtec
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark_a:
Now that Black has widened the conversation I too really like track saws for their bang for the buck.

Possibly start with one if those and see how well woodworking fits you. You can then add a cabinet saw if you demonstrate the need.

But you can't dado or rabbit with a track (not well anyway).

Posts: 1568 | Location: Near Austin, TX | Registered: December 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shiftyvtec:
quote:

Yeah, this first table saw project includes dados and rabbets.

Posts: 45373 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 9mmnut
posted Hide Post
I use a Grizzly cabinet saw. 220 power and it will rip a 2x4 like cutting butter. It's a heavy saw but very stable. I have it set up so I can rip 4x8 sheets of plywood by my self. This is too much saw for you. Have you considered a good sliding miter saw. I find myself using one quite a bit. A miter saw and a router can perform a lot of tasks.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Southern ,Mi. | Registered: October 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 9mmnut:
I use a Grizzly cabinet saw. 220 power and it will rip a 2x4 like cutting butter. It's a heavy saw but very stable. I have it set up so I can rip 4x8 sheets of plywood by my self. This is too much saw for you. Have you considered a good sliding miter saw. I find myself using one quite a bit. A miter saw and a router can perform a lot of tasks.
I actually have a sliding miter saw. Up until now it's been my main saw.

Oh, that brings up another thing, I don't have 220v capability in the garage yet. The electric box is full and is in need of an upgrade to 200A.

Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
quote:
quote:

Pretty sure there is a trenching head for the Festool that will take care of the Dados.
Not sure about Rabbits.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25417 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
quote:
quote:

A good router mounted in a router table will do them and a thousand other tasks as well. I have a 3HP Dewalt under a table and a couple of 1.5 HP Bosch routers for free hand work. Also can get various router clamp on guides for large scale work. Your router can be your best friend.

Posts: 1995 | Location: DFW Texas | Registered: March 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
I've read good things about Sawstop's jobsite saw so I doubt you'd be unhappy with it. I've got a Sawstop PCS with the industrial mobile base and it's a great saw but it's not portable or small. I also have a Festool tracksaw and love it but it's really better suited to sheetgoods. You can rip lumber with it and I have ripped lumber with it but it doesn't replace a tablesaw for me. While you can work lumber with a tracksaw it's not really the right tool for the job.

Posts: 3454 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 9mmnut
posted Hide Post
Don't really need 220. Just make sure whatever you decide on is 110.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Southern ,Mi. | Registered: October 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you are not sure woodworking is going to be “your thing” I would suggest the Bosch saw already mentioned. Usable for some projects, may not be exceptionally accurate. Think I used a similar Ridgid saw recently and that was pretty good too. If you may not pursue the hobby further, the price of the saw is negligible. The SawStop is certainly more expensive in comparison. It can save fingers and in one accident it will probably pay for itself in the trip not made to the emergency room. I have taught shop for some years and wouldn’t have anything else for a public school age group. There is a cartridge that “fires” when the blade stops to prevent an accident. I think they run about $100 a pop. The blade is also scrap at that point.

My tablesaw, in my home shop, is a 10” Delta Unisaw. It is a great, accurate machine. I have had it some 20+ years and have used it safely 99.9% + of the time. I have not sacrificed any fingers to it. It weighs several hundred pounds, weight being an asset.

For safety, in your minds eye, ALWAYS know where the blade is and know you don’t want your hands there. Use a push stick. Keep loose items, tools, wood scraps, etc. off the table while cutting. Do NOT work with a power tool if you are distracted by “multi-tasking”.

If I was in the market now for a table saw I would still buy the heaviest 10” I could find. I would not buy the Saw Stop. A weakness, in my mind, is it can fire without reason. It can fire if you are cutting moist, pressure treated wood. Any moisture can set it off. So no, I wouldn’t buy one for myself. As a Shop teacher I know the hazards and respect my machine. I can use it safely.

For the OP, if the wife says to get one, get the best they have. Even if you need a neighbor to help move it once in a while. My advice, while good and based on 40 years of experience, may only be worth what you paid for it. Your wife would not be pleased if you trimmed a finger based on my advice.

How many fingers do I have? About 9 1/2. Jointer got part of one, router part of another.

Posts: 2132 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cne32507:
quote:
Originally posted by XLT:
Size matters always go with the bigger one, I have never used a saw stop because they are a bit small for me, but have seen the demo a few times at the woodworkers show.

here is my saw cost about 32k Smile

XLT's Altendorf F-45 has built-in casters and can be moved by one person....

As to mark123's dilemma, heavy is better, even adding weight such as sandbags.

it doesn't have casters, only way to move it is with a fork lift the whole bottom floor is poured in some special German concrete substance. this saw is so smooth I can stand a nickel on edge and start the machine and it wont even move.

Posts: 5594 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rsbolo:
All good advice here. I'll make a prediction, you'll buy a contractor saw and then upgrade to a cabinet saw shortly thereafter!

The difference between the two is startling. Both work, one works MUCH better and IMHO is safer to operate.

XLT, your shop is too clean. What kind of lathe do you have in there? Nice rack....on the moose.

I don't own a lathe the machine in the back is a busellato jet 3006 cnc router it only weighs 10 thousand pounds.

Posts: 5594 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
I'd recommend this saw.

It'll do a lot, and it's the best portable saw I've used, and I've used nearly all of them.

I wouldn't recommend Saw Stop.

I'm also no fan of table saw guards, I haven't found a system yet that doesn't needlessly get in the way. I much prefer to use pushsticks and other safe practices, and always be able to see what I'm doing.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Woke up today..
Great day!
posted Hide Post
I've had a Bosch contractor (on a frame with two wheels) for about 7 years now. Has served me well and is reasonably portable. Not up to the quality of the large precision expensive crowd but more than sufficient for my building projects.

Posts: 1772 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: December 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post