SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Amelia Earhart survival story in doubt
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Amelia Earhart survival story in doubt Login/Join 
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scoutmaster:
quote:
Originally posted by Dakor:
I really don't care about this rather poor historical pilot... when compared to the likes of Lindbergh's wife....

His wife in the US, or his mistress in Germany??

Well golly gee, I wonder...

Anne Lindbergh received numerous honors and awards throughout her life in recognition of her contributions to both literature and aviation. In 1933, she received the U.S. Flag Association Cross of Honor for having taken part in surveying transatlantic air routes. The following year, she was awarded the Hubbard Medal by the National Geographic Society for having completed 40,000 miles (64,000 km) of exploratory flying with her husband, Charles Lindbergh, a feat that took them to five continents. In 1993, Women in Aerospace presented her with an Aerospace Explorer Award in recognition of her achievements in and contributions to the aerospace field.[1][12]

She was inducted into the National Aviation Hall of Fame (1979), the National Women's Hall of Fame (1996), the Aviation Hall of Fame of New Jersey, and the International Women in Aviation Pioneer Hall of Fame (1999).[1]

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Charlie,
The book you refer to was written by Fred Goerner, who was a CBS investigative reporter. Published 1966- fascinating read with well-researched background. His theory was the same as the History Channel's, namely that they beached the plane on a Marshall Island atoll, then were held by the Japanese at Saipan.

Take care, Steve

I Drink & I Know Things

Posts: 352 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Yeah, my father believed that theory.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107507 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dubya
posted Hide Post
Some of know where she is....

Sons of the Republic of Texas, NRA, TSRA
God Bless America

Posts: 4075 | Location: The Great Lone Star State, Texas | Registered: March 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Very good Big Grin

posted Hide Post
it makes a good TV show. However, it is very compelling when dozens of seemingly unrelated people including old timers who have nothing to gain, all have relatively the same story.

Posts: 4757 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One of my uncles was on the Colorado when she was part of the original search. My uncle's dead, the ship is gone, and together they still stand a better chance of finding Earhart than the History Channel's "Top Men".

===
I would like to apologize to anyone I have *not* offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.

Posts: 2064 | Location: The Sticks in Wisconsin. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ElToro:
it makes a good TV show. However, it is very compelling when dozens of seemingly unrelated people including old timers who have nothing to gain, all have relatively the same story.

Repeat a lie long enough and loud enough and it becomes the truth.

Posts: 6621 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
Wait. Did you say History Channel documentary? Didn't they tell me once that in 1939 Charlie Chaplin and his evil Nazi regime enslaved Europe and tried to take over the world but was stopped by UN (pronounced UuuNnn)? I think there were also dinosaurs involved.

Bro?! Where did you get your law degree, Costco? Cool

Posts: 7070 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
See? And the shit is getting even more outlandish. Any reason at all to keep this dead story in the news, because it's click bait. It's about time for some more D.B. Cooper horse shit, too.

I mean, really. Come on. Roll Eyes

Mystery deepens over whether Amelia Earhart was eaten by three-foot crabs with claws like lion jaws

For fuck's sake. Roll Eyes

Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Aww fuck. She's crab shit! We'll never find her final resting place now. Frown

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12768 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
Wait. Did you say History Channel documentary? Didn't they tell me once that in 1939 Charlie Chaplin and his evil Nazi regime enslaved Europe and tried to take over the world but was stopped by UN (pronounced UuuNnn)? I think there were also dinosaurs involved.

Can't beat the Time Machine.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7070 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have to confess that stories like this interest me. I read everything I can on Earhart, Jack the Ripper and Zodiac.
Earhart:
After much study, I would say it is at least plausible she crash landed on Gardner (now Nukumaroro) Island, lived for a time and died. The only way to put the Gardner Island theory to rest would be to find and examine the "lost" skeleton. And crabs could have dined on her remains. Overwhelming evidence points to a water landing. End of story. And I agree that her reputation as a pilot was way overhyped. Noonan may have been a decent navigator if he was sober.
And History Channel will be dredging up Zodiac again shortly. I would guess if IDed, they will find he is long dead.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16071 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I thought she was found in an episode of Star Trek: Voyager.

Posts: 27929 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
Now they are pimping a show that claims to have new evidence 50 years after the fact that's going to blow the Zodiac case wide open. Give me a break.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5685 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified Plane Pusher
Picture of Phantom229
posted Hide Post
I care more about what happend to MH370 than Earhart.

Situation awareness is defined as a continuous extraction of environmental information, integration of this information with previous knowledge to form a coherent mental picture in directing further perception and anticipating future events. Simply put, situational awareness mean knowing what is going on around you.

Posts: 7895 | Location: Around Lake Tapps, Wa | Registered: September 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
MH370 crashed just like Earhart.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Butch 2340:

There she is!

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29684 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gutpile Charlie:
Back in the late 50's and early 60's I worked for a local photographer and part of my duties included all phases of darkroom work, i.e. film developing and printing. In the course of this, I worked with a WWII Sea bee vet in the darkroom as his swamper, i.e. I did the wet work while he ran the enlarger.

With knothing but hours to kill in the dark stories and life histories are exchanged many times.

While on Saipan during the war, he got to know a number of the locals and they told him accounts of seeing Earhart on Si-pain being held captive by the Japanese and that they had killed her there. About ten years later a book was published by an investigative reporter by the name of Grogan if I recall correctly. He went to Sipan and conducted his investigation with the locals and the story was essentially the same as I had heard years earlier. My friend was a guy that I would describe as a windy geezer, however I had no reason not to believe him and then after hearing another account that reinforced his, I was reasonably convinced that I had heard "the straight skinny". A number of years after that, I read a book that was based on artifacts being found on another island that was not even close to Saipan. This second book concluded that she and Noonan I died there of natural causes after surviving a while.

It is also possible your buddy brought back the same story that they have been telling on Saipan for years and later told the reporter. The two don't really corroborate each other. They could be the same story. Which may or may not be true.

I'm with those who thinks it will be hard to get convincing evidence and also who don't much care.

She is certainly dead now.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jhe888,

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Did you know that Bigfoot, ummm, *enthusiasts* use the word Squatching as a Verb?

As in: Hey, Delores, are you and Jimmy going squatching this weekend?

I ran into some of them in Colorado last year.

I could hardly contain myself. Smile

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post