SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Amelia Earhart survival story in doubt
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Amelia Earhart survival story in doubt Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted
Amelia Earhart survival story in doubt.

"A Japanese military history buff has apparently undermined a new theory that Amelia Earhart survived a crash-landing in the Pacific Ocean during her historic attempted round-the-world flight in 1937.

The history blogger has posted the same photograph that formed the backbone of a History channel documentary that aired on Sunday that argued that Earhart was alive in July 1937 — but the book the photo was in was apparently published two years before the famed aviator disappeared. The History channel is looking into the matter but stands behind its documentary." …

https://www.google.com/amp/s/w...hart-documentary/amp

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8951 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
I swear every couple of years they dig up more supposed evidence of what happened to her. Just a money making scheme to fund adventurers and cable television. Big Grin

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12436 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
We need Geraldo on the case!

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wife asked me what I thought of the show, as she watched something else. I said it was 40% history and 60% Bigfoot .

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
According to CNN, she crash landed on the tenth planet.

We need funding for a study to go rescue her.

Bet she's been eating crappy potatoes long enough...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43881 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Wait. Did you say History Channel documentary? Didn't they tell me once that in 1939 Charlie Chaplin and his evil Nazi regime enslaved Europe and tried to take over the world but was stopped by UN (pronounced UuuNnn)? I think there were also dinosaurs involved.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30408 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
At this point in time, I really doubt there will be convincing evidence as to the concluding moment of Ms Earhart. But even if they could prove such, at this point in time (to quote a sad source), "what does it matter".

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Back in the late 50's and early 60's I worked for a local photographer and part of my duties included all phases of darkroom work, i.e. film developing and printing. In the course of this, I worked with a WWII Sea bee vet in the darkroom as his swamper, i.e. I did the wet work while he ran the enlarger.

With knothing but hours to kill in the dark stories and life histories are exchanged many times.

While on Saipan during the war, he got to know a number of the locals and they told him accounts of seeing Earhart on Si-pain being held captive by the Japanese and that they had killed her there. About ten years later a book was published by an investigative reporter by the name of Grogan if I recall correctly. He went to Sipan and conducted his investigation with the locals and the story was essentially the same as I had heard years earlier. My friend was a guy that I would describe as a windy geezer, however I had no reason not to believe him and then after hearing another account that reinforced his, I was reasonably convinced that I had heard "the straight skinny". A number of years after that, I read a book that was based on artifacts being found on another island that was not even close to Saipan. This second book concluded that she and Noonan I died there of natural causes after surviving a while.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Gutpile Charlie,

"If you think everything's going to be alright, you don't understand the problem!"- Gutpile Charlie
"A man's got to know his limitations" - Harry Callahan

Posts: 9249 | Location: Indian Territory, USA | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
I really don't care about this rather poor historical pilot... when compared to the likes of Lindbergh's wife. You know that route you flew, pretty much anywhere. Well guess what, you can probably thank old Lindie and his wife for determining that route among the vast number they flew and charted together across the globe.

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Bets on finding Amelia Earhart or Jimmy Hoffa first.

Posts: 9509 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dakor:
I really don't care about this rather poor historical pilot... when compared to the likes of Lindbergh's wife....

His wife in the US, or his mistress in Germany??

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hold Fast
Picture of Butch 2340
posted Hide Post

Never shoot a large caliber man with a small caliber bullet . . .

Posts: 7632 | Location: Georgia  | Registered: May 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of drew3630
posted Hide Post
The Pacific is a big ocean - lots of water and very little land. We still don't really know what happened to Malaysian flight 370.

Who knows, maybe she and her navigator survived and had a child together who grew up to be known as DB Cooper Smile

Posts: 244 | Location: Northern California | Registered: June 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
Wait. Did you say History Channel documentary? Didn't they tell me once that in 1939 Charlie Chaplin and his evil Nazi regime enslaved Europe and tried to take over the world but was stopped by UN (pronounced UuuNnn)? I think there were also dinosaurs involved.

Electrolytes

Posts: 26904 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Longtime members may recall this is one of my pet peeves. Every time they start this nonsense, I know where it's going to end up- nowhere. Last time they tried to convince us they'd found her was about two years ago. Before that, it was about two years. I imagine that in a couple more years, they'll try to pull this shit again, and for what? Ratings.

Amelia Earhart was a marginal pilot at best and her navigator was an alcoholic. Amelia Earhart's Lockheed Electra ran out of fuel while she was searching for Howland Island. The plane ditched in the middle of an unimaginably vast ocean and sank to the ocean floor.
The plane, the remains of Amelia Earhart and Fred Noonan have dissipated back to whence they came. Nothing will ever be found of either person nor the airplane, because there's nothing at all to find.

I love how the so-called "History Channel" says they'll investigate and "be transparent".

Excuse me, but just what in the fuck else would you be about this?? The photograph was published in a book two years before Earhart even began that flight.

Hello?

McFly??

You'll be "transparent"? Just who is running things at the History Channel these days? Teenagers? Just who do you think you're trying to fool? That photo- around which you've built this latest elaborate and completely false story- was extant in 1935. Case closed. Period.

Jesus Roll Eyes

You screwed up. Just admit it. Happens to everybody. Just admit your mistake, apologize to your viewers, and vow to actually do thorough research next time. Either that, or change the name of your channel to something that reflects your current content. Call it the American Pickers and Bigfoot Channel. Whatever you decide to call it, just about the very last thing it should be called is the History Channel.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107580 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Moving cash
for money
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
Bets on finding Amelia Earhart or Jimmy Hoffa first.

I dunno maybe Discovery will find Bigfoot or Nessie first?

"When in danger or in doubt, run in circles scream and shout" R.I.P. R.A.H.
Ooga Chakka Hooga Hooga Ooga Chakka Hooga Hooga
NRA Basic Rifle Instructor
Red Cross First Aid/CPR/AED Adult/Child/Infant Instructor
Red Cross Wilderness First Aid Instructor

Posts: 9912 | Location: Jawjah | Registered: December 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
I read her Lockheed Electra cost $80K, $1.4K in today's dollars. Then I saw that a 1957 Lockheed Electra 188 90 passenger airliner cost about the same. It doesn't make sense that a 4 engine airliner cost similar 20 years later than a 10 place twin engine plane.

Posts: 7454 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4859
posted Hide Post
I too am with you Para. It is a dead horse.

-----------------------------
Always carry. Never tell.

Posts: 5772 | Location: Montana  | Registered: May 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Hoffa or Earhart? Whatever remains of Jimmy Hoffa resides in the United States. Amelia Earhart's body dissipated and/or was eaten 80 years ago and the molecules of what used to be her person are in all the oceans of the world.

So, Hoffa it is.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107580 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:

I love how the so-called "History Channel" says they'll investigate and "be transparent".

Transparency is a different quality than "thorough."

There are 24 hours a day, 7 days a week of air time that must be filled, hopefully with content that attracts eyeballs.

Take American Heroes Channel, formerly Military Channel, nee Wings. They have something like 3,000 hours of video of Nazi Germany figures riding around, parading around, making speeches, flying in formation, driving tanks, etc. and can edit those into essentially infinite combinations, fit any story.

There are an endless number of historic events that are mysterious in some degree, or detail, or even flat wrong. If a producer can come up with some video, a few "experts" and a plausible story, he can turn it into gold. Modern day alchemy! If it is true, all the better, maybe.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post