SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Explosion at Lake City plant in Independence, MO
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Explosion at Lake City plant in Independence, MO Login/Join 
Alea iacta est
posted
http://www.kctv5.com/story/351...rmy-ammunition-plant

(video at link)

INDEPENDENCE, MO (KCTV) -
One employee is dead and three others are hurt after an explosion Tuesday in a mixing building at Lake City Army Ammunition Plant.

Lake City Army Ammunition Plant provides quality small-caliber munitions and operates the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) test center. It sits on 3,935 acres in Independence.

There is no additional information at this time.

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
uh oh

too bad - I hope no one else is seriously injured

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53165 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Wow, thats where my past M1 ammo came from. I sure burned a lot of it.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Sigmund around to weigh in with his Rock Island Arsenal experience?

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16196 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:
uh oh

too bad - I hope no one else is seriously injured

Up to six injured, with one being "serious."

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31430 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Donate Blood,
Save a Life!
Picture of StarTraveler
posted Hide Post
My condolences go out to the family of the dead employee and my best wishes to the injured but sadly it is always a potential hazard at these types of facilities.

Years ago I did some engineering work at the Kingsport/Holston Army Ammunition Plant, much of which was built in very short order during World War II. Each step of the process was housed in a different building located quite some distance apart with the product having to be hauled (mostly under fire-resistant covered walkways) between the buildings.

It was explained to the design team that the relative distances between buildings were determined by the explosivity of the product and the amount expected to be present at any particular time. That way, in the event of an explosion or fire only one part of the process would be destroyed. I don't remember for sure now, but I believe there was redundancy with parallel facilities for each step so it would never be shut down by a single accident.

"Aut viam inveniam aut faciam (I will either find a way or make one)." -- Hannibal Barca

Posts: 2103 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Good thing I am stocked up on XM193, because that's where mine comes from.

Hopefully those that are injured are fine, condolences for the family of the one that passed.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Interesting. My mother worked there in the early '50's.

Posts: 17140 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green Mountain Boy
Picture of Jus228
posted Hide Post
Shit that ain't good. Frown

!~God Bless the U.S. Military~!

If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Posts: 5563 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Uppster
posted Hide Post
I live 5 miles up the road and the explosion was not loud enough for us to hear. I heard it was in one of the bunkers where they make the primers.

God,Guns,Cars,& 1Wife, I would say I have it all.

Posts: 1448 | Location: Independence MO | Registered: January 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
I read a headline somewhere but didn't connect the dots that this could be Lake City...

sorry to hear about a fatality.
I wish everyone involved the best that can come out of this.

HK Ag

Posts: 3498 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
Sigmund around to weigh in with his Rock Island Arsenal experience?

I have no specific knowledge on Lake City, though I did get a tour of Iowa AAP in Burlington 30+ years ago. Iowa was and still is making HE items, unlike LC which is small arms only.

The cardinal rule of explosive safety is "Expose the minimum number of people to the minimum quantity of explosives for the minimum amount of time."

http://www.asaie.army.mil/Public/ESOH/esm.html

It may be totally unrelated to this accident, but IIRC the lead azide in primer mix is very sensitive.

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Condolences to the family of the worker who lost his life. To the injured, get well soon.

Officers lives matter!

Posts: 3265 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: February 12, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
that is terrible. 4000 acre property is insane.

------------------------------------

├┼┼╕
246R

Posts: 3901 | Location: SE PA | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cmr076:
that is terrible. 4000 acre property is insane.

I have several friends that used to get permits to hunt deer on the Iowa munitions property. Not sure how many acres it is but it is quite extensive. This is done to provide large buffer zones to protect people in the area in the small possibility that an event like this should occur. Not only are the results from blast effects an issue but there are many side effects from the chemicals being used that are health detrimental and this allows for dissipation before reaching a populated area. I know the fellows that hunted there had to sign a very all inclusive release to be able to enter. Not sure this is even available anymore due to potential security issues since 9/11.

The “POLICE"
Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith

Posts: 2889 | Location: See der Rabbits, Iowa | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post