SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Salmon Recipe?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Salmon Recipe? Login/Join 
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted
The good locally owned (not chain or franchise) fish restaurants seem to be disappearing from the Orlando area. Straub's is gone.

When I commuted weekly to a contract job, years ago, I would land at Our Little Airport on Friday evening. My wife would pick me up and we would head directly to our standing Friday evening "date" for dinner at The Seafood Grill At Baker Street. This place has been gone for maybe twenty years or so, but my order there never varied. I always wanted to try some of their other offerings, but I got stuck on something that was so tasty that I could not eat there without ordering it.

They had a salmon filet that was marinated and grilled. The marinade had an orange flavor. The restaurant is long gone so I can not ask them for the recipe, but I would like to try something like it tonight.

Does this sound like anything you might have a recipe for? If so, please post ASAP, or email me to the address in my profile. My wife is at her office today, I'm preparing dinner, and I'll stop at the grocery store for any ingredients I might need. I already have the fish, it's the marinade that I'm looking for.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30647 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
A couple pinches of Kosher salt evenly spread out followed by a couple teaspoons of crushed garlic also spread out.

Throw on grill (indirect heat). (garlic will roast and take on a nutty flavor) Cook till done ensuring the meat does not dry out (about 15 - 30 minutes depending on thickness).

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14036 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
A clove of crushed garlic, a tablespoon of soy, juice from one orange and a teaspoon of honey. Combine these and mix well. Place Salmon filets in a zip lock bag and pour in most off the marinade leaving a little for later. Refrigerate filets in the bag for an hour. Pull them out and place on hot grill. Just before you pull the filets to plate, brush with remaining marinade.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Not sure if it results in the same taste but I do a brine-ish marinade using salt, maple syrup, orange marmalade (with lots of rind - a good one) and some water.

And then I make a sauce using butter, EVOO, lemon juice and marmalade.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12713 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TXJIM:
A clove of crushed garlic, a tablespoon of soy, juice from one orange and a teaspoon of honey. Combine these and mix well. Place Salmon filets in a zip lock bag and pour in most off the marinade leaving a little for later. Refrigerate filets in the bag for an hour. Pull them out and place on hot grill. Just before you pull the filets to plate, brush with remaining marinade.

Hey -- yea that sounds very similar to what I do.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12713 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll be watching this thread. Nothing better than fresh fish, well prepared. I have come to the conclusion that central Florida has an aversion to
small, non-chain restaurants. What is wrong with Florida anyway.....surrounded by water and a bounty of any variety of fish, and we have a preponderance of restaurants with menus the equivalent to shopping the frozen entree dept of Publix. (sigh)

Posts: 518 | Location: Ocala, FL | Registered: October 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
A couple pinches of Kosher salt evenly spread out followed by a couple teaspoons of crushed garlic also spread out.

Throw on grill (indirect heat). (garlic will roast and take on a nutty flavor) Cook till done ensuring the meat does not dry out (about 15 - 30 minutes depending on thickness).
That sounds good, and simple. I might try it, but I am looking for the recipe that had some sort of orange marinade.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30647 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
You can also add a bit of orange zest to the recipe I poated above to up the orange flavor a bit.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
https://addapinch.com/orange-salmon-recipe/

Haven't tried it but the gal that wrote it was all giggidy about it and she's kinda cute so figured it was worth the link...

Ingredients
1/4 cup fresh orange juice about 1 medium orange
2 tablespoons honey
2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 cloves garlic minced
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1 (1-3) pound salmon fillet

Directions
Whisk together orange juice, honey, soy sauce, olive oil, garlic, and ginger in a 2-cup measuring cup. Place salmon in large zip top bag and pour marinade in with salmon. Close and allow to marinate 20 minutes to an hour.

When ready to cook, preheat grill or grill pan over medium heat. Brush with olive oil, remove salmon from zip top bag and place onto grill pan. Cook 2 - 5 minutes (depending on thickness of salmon), then use tongs or a large spatula and turn salmon over to the other side to cook another 2 - 5 minutes (depending on the thickness).

Remove from grill pan and allow to rest about 5 minutes before serving.

BTW Costco has a good deal on fresh salmon...

Posts: 23393 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
marinate for up to one hour in:

OJ - 1/4 to 1/2 cup
Soy Sauce - 2 table spoons, more or less depending on if you like that flavor
EVOO - 2 table spoons
Honey - 1 table spoon

That's the basic recipe which seems to please most people. Add garlic if you like or any other spices that suite you.

Grill skin side down over med heat with lid down until done. 15-20 minutes seems about right depending on thickness. I don't turn mine, but rotate it on the grill to avoid sticking and brush it once with left over marinate. Can be done in oven broiler as well.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:

That sounds good, and simple. I might try it, but I am looking for the recipe that had some sort of orange marinade.

It is excellent (IMO) and leftovers can be used in a salmon salad for the next day's lunch. Wink

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14036 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I wonder if they were using some mojo, which is a Cuban marinade made with orange, lime and sometimes some grapefruit juice.

Publix has a good house brand mojo marinade.

Another nice technique is to put thin sliced orange (or lemon) disks under the fish as you cook it, between the fish and the heat, so that the fruit essence and steam permeate the fish as it cooks. I have done grilled salmon on cedar plank, with lemon between the plank and fish and it's very good. I finish it with melted butter, with dill and lemon in it.

ETA: Traditional mojo recipe; some people limit or omit the olive oil.
3 heads garlic
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon black peppercorns (whole)
1 1⁄2 cups orange juice, sour orange (or 1 cup orange juice & 1/2 cup lemon juice & 1/2 cup lime juice)
1 cup minced onion
2 teaspoons oregano
1 cup Spanish olive oil

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12768 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I do a marinade very similar to HRK. I like to let it sit for about an hour. You can either cook it in a pan with the marinade or grill and reduce the marinade into a sauce. Easy and tastes great.

Posts: 5691 | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Look up Gordon Ramsay salmon on the YouTube.

For ME:
DA/SA= Sig 9mm
Striker fired= Glock 9mm
If it's a .45= 1911
Suppressed= HK in .45
I like anything in 10mm

Posts: 1442 | Location: VA | Registered: July 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gran Marnier can be used in either a glaze or marinate for an orange flavor. For the glaze:

2 oz Gran Marnier

4 oz brown sugar

1 oz butter

Heat the sugar and butter over low heat. When it's all liquid, pour in the booze. Apply to the fish when about half done

Marinate

Gran Marnier and red wine vinegar in equal parts, double that with water. Stir and soak the fish in it.

Personally, I take a slab of salmon and toss some Ms Dash on it and broil it. I save the glazes for whitefish with less flavor.

Posts: 17139 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
If you want to keep it simple, just go to the Asian foods section of the store and pick up a bottle of Orange Sauce that is used for Orange Chicken. Works well on a lot of recipes and I would think it would be great on salmon.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
Try this link. Larry Csonkas favorites:
http://larrycsonka.com/recipes/

Living the Dream

Posts: 4014 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
https://addapinch.com/orange-salmon-recipe/

Haven't tried it but the gal that wrote it was all giggidy about it and she's kinda cute so figured it was worth the link...

Snip...

You should try it. This is pretty much exactly how I make it most times.

Only difference is instead of ginger I use a dash of sesame oil. Maybe I'll try with ginger next time.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rtquig:
Try this link. Larry Csonkas favorites:
http://larrycsonka.com/recipes/

The dolphin?

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Those orange/honey glazes several described sound good to me for salmon. Don't overcook the fish. Dried out salmon is a crime.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post