SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Salmon Recipe?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Salmon Recipe? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
sorry V Tail, no orange marinade recipe. I did however, pick up some cedar planks at Costco and followed the rub recipe on the package. Grilled to just 125F. Now the wife's favorite fish recipe. Hint, preheat the plank just a bit before placing the filet on. Invest in a instant read meat probe too. Luck!

"The days are stacked against what we think we are." Jim Harrison

Posts: 1116 | Location: Ann Arbor | Registered: September 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
Try this marinade:

1 cup frozen orange juice concentrate
½ cup peanut oil
½ cup soy sauce
¼ cup dry white wine
¼ cup Mendocino Mustard or any sweet hot mustard
1-2 tsp. Asian sesame oil
1 tsp. five-spice powder (available in Asian markets)
2 --- garlic cloves, peeled and crushed

Place all of the ingredients for the marinade in a blender and blend until well mixed. Place xxxxxxxx in a glass or stainless-steel bowl. Pour the marinade over the xxxxxx, making sure to coat entirely. Cover the bowl and refrigerate for 3-4 hours. Remove from the refrigerator about 30 minutes before cooking.

If you want a little more orange "zing", add about a 1-2 teaspoons of fresh orange zest.

Posts: 9001 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I know it's darned near a crime, but other than smoked kokanee, I don't care much for salmon. More often than not, it gets overcooked and is just...yuck.

After a trip to Sitka not long ago I came back with a metric shit-ton of Kings and was forced to experiment with a lot of recipes. While Kings, for me, are pretty mild tasting, that salmon taste is still there. So, I found several good recipes with ingredients that either take that away or meld with it in such a way that they end up really good.

While this isn't the orange one you were looking for, it's one of my favorites:

1 salmon fillet (about 2 pounds)
1 to 1-1/2 teaspoons lemon-pepper seasoning
1 teaspoon onion salt
1 small onion, sliced and separated into rings
6 lemon slices
1/4 cup butter, cubed

DILL SAUCE:
1/3 cup sour cream
1/3 cup mayonnaise
1 tablespoon finely chopped onion
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon prepared horseradish
3/4 teaspoon dill weed
1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
Pepper to taste

1. Line a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan with heavy-duty foil; grease lightly. Place salmon skin side down on foil. Sprinkle with lemon-pepper and onion salt. Top with onion and lemon. Dot with butter. Fold foil around salmon; seal tightly,

2. Bake at 350° for 20 minutes. Open foil carefully, allowing steam to escape. Broil 4-6 in. from the heat for 8-12 minutes or until the fish flakes easily with a fork.

3. Combine the sauce ingredients until smooth. Serve with salmon.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
From the Big Green Egg cookbook. Cedar planked salmon. We use orange marmalade in place of orange zest. Our favorite.
https://biggreenegg.com/

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
The recipe posted by HRK looks as if it might be something like the Baker Street marinade, so I'm gonna give it a try.

I'm leaving the ginger out, mainly because I don't have any in the cupboard and I don't really feel like schlepping to the store.

I'll report back later.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Redleg06
posted Hide Post
Here's mine...

PACIFIC NORTHWEST SALMON
8 Tbs (1 stick) unsalted butter
1/3 Cup honey
1/3 Cup packed brown sugar
2 Tbs fresh lemon juice
1 tsp natural liquid smoke
½ tsp crushed red pepper flakes
1 (2-lbs. Salmon fillet)
Combine ingredients in a saucepan and cook over medium heat, stirring until smooth(5-7 minutes). Let cool to room temperature. Arrange salmon in a dish, add cooled marinade and let stand 30 minutes, turning once. (Acid in lemon juice will start to “cook” salmon and cause it to stick if left more than 30 min.)
Prepare medium-hot fire for grilling. Oil the grill well and cook salmon for 5-7 minutes on each side, until fish flakes easily. Serve immediately.

"Cedat Fortuna Peritis"

Posts: 1975 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: June 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
I coat with oil and cajun season. Get a cast iron skillet screaming hot and sear both sides. No more then 30 seconds. Then grill.

Posts: 7506 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here's how I do salmon, but it doesn't have any OJ

Ken's Salmon Rub

For 2, ~6oz. Pcs of skin-on Salmon filets

2 Tbl brown sugar
1 tsp smoked paprika
1/4 tsp onion salt
1/4 tsp course grind black pepper
1/2 tsp crushed dried basil

Spread this mix on top of salmon filets and let sit until it liquifies.

I usually either cook on the BGE or in the oven. Either way it takes about 20 min at 350.

I put the salmon on foil if I do it on the BGE.

Has a nice spicy-sweet flavor that compliments the salmon pretty well.

Posts: 1049 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: December 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:
Originally posted by rtquig:
Try this link. Larry Csonkas favorites:
http://larrycsonka.com/recipes/

The dolphin?

Yes, he is an avid Sportsman, had a TV show on hunting and fishing.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4011 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Orange flavor? Grate some fresh orange rind over it and add salt, pepper, and olive oil.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
We are blessed with super fresh seafood in the northwest, and if I buy fresh King (Chinook) fillets, I like to just grill them with lemon butter, salt and pepper. Medium rare. Do not need anything else. Squeeze some fresh lemon juice on them when plated. Overcooking salmon is the most common mistake.

Posts: 3248 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Domari Nolo
Picture of Chris17404
posted Hide Post
Here's my recipe...

Combine in a small bowl:

- 2 Tbsp. honey
- 1 Tbsp. country dijon mustard
- 1 Tbsp. horseradish
- 1 Tbsp. dried basil
- a little salt and pepper

Pour/spread mixture over a nice large salmon filet, and either grill it (preferred) or bake in a 400 degree oven for 20 minutes.

Enjoy!

Posts: 2331 | Location: York, PA | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
We usually just go with a bit of lemon pepper on top, grilled in foil. Comes out great for something simple with a citrus flavor.

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of muddle_mann
posted Hide Post
Mojo and Adobo Big Grin

Pissed off beats scared every time…

- Frank Castle

Posts: 3810 | Registered: March 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of olfuzzy
posted Hide Post
When my wife and I went on our cruise to Alaska we flew out to a Salmon camp and this is how they served theirs.

Sauce For Grilled Salmon:

1/3 cup butter
2/3 cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 tablespoon white wine

Melt butter in saucepan until hot enough to dissolve brown sugar. Add lemon juice and white wine.

Grill salmon over med. Heat, turning and basting until salmon flakes with a fork.

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post