SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Going to buy a Sous Vide cooker. Requesting input.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Going to buy a Sous Vide cooker. Requesting input. Login/Join 
Shorted to Atmosphere
Picture of Shifferbrains
posted
Hello Everyone,

As the title suggests, I am in the market for a Sous Vide cooker. I'm leaning towards an Anova unit with Wi-Fi. I have looked at reviews and stats of several units. There are so many cookers out there that I would like to get some input from the members here before I pull the trigger.

*NOTE*

jimmy123x, do yourself a favor and DO NOT POST in this thread! I don't care if you have the most best, most prolifically awesome advice ever given, I DO NOT want to see any of it. Please keep your Cliff Clavin style know-it-all crap out of this thread, it is obnoxious and irritating. I DO NOT want your nonsense clogging this thread. Thank you.

Posts: 5199 | Location: Manteca, CA | Registered: May 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
I'm not an expert, but I do have the Anova as do several other members here. It does what I want it to do, and I have never used the Wifi.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15716 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shorted to Atmosphere
Picture of Shifferbrains
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
I'm not an expert, but I do have the Anova as do several other members here. It does what I want it to do, and I have never used the Wifi.

I'd use the Wi-Fi feature as I have a rather long commute and can start the cooking from work.

Posts: 5199 | Location: Manteca, CA | Registered: May 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have the Anova Chinese look-a-like without WiFi. 750 watt version and it works well. I would recommend that you also get a container along with an insulating jacket and cover for the long cooks that you will inevitably do.

I should be tall and rich too; That ain't gonna happen either

Posts: 358 | Location: NW NJ | Registered: December 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shorted to Atmosphere
Picture of Shifferbrains
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JimTheo:
I have the Anova Chinese look-a-like without WiFi. 750 watt version and it works well. I would recommend that you also get a container along with an insulating jacket and cover for the long cooks that you will inevitably do.

Thanks for the tips.

10-8
Picture of Apphunter
posted Hide Post
I have the anova with the WiFi and I love it. My only complaint is I haven't used the Wifi because I couldn't figure out how to connect to my Wifi but I am pretty sure that was operator error and not the machine

Posts: 915 | Registered: November 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have the Chefsteps Joule and I'm very pleased with it.

Posts: 2267 | Location: San Francisco, CA | Registered: February 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have the Anova and ChefSteps Joule. The Anova seems more robust and doesn’t require the app to run (it can be run remotely from the app or directly from the unit). I prefer the Joule’s app.

We use them a lot!

Posts: 1173 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
I got the Anova without wifi, but I am home bound pretty much. The bluetooth unit that I tried to avoid turns out to be pretty handy, with my iPad.

I would get a proper container for the water. I am using a large pasta or stock pan, 3-4 quart, teflon, which is ok. I put tin foil from my hat around the top on lengthy cooking jobs. Having a proper container, insulation etc. would be better, although not essential in my case.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
Anova with Wi-Fi. I’ve had no trouble connecting and the food is great. One of these and a good pellet grill and my meat is happy.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4224 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shorted to Atmosphere
Picture of Shifferbrains
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Davenator:
I have the Anova and ChefSteps Joule. The Anova seems more robust and doesn’t require the app to run (it can be run remotely from the app or directly from the unit). I prefer the Joule’s app.

We use them a lot!

If you had to buy just one of these, which would you choose?

Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I have Anova 900w, it has Bluetooth and whatever. I don't do Wi-Fi or apps. Got the 900w just in case I want to do larger cook.

Never installed an app or connected to Wi-Fi, just set my temp on the unit and go. I've tested with thermapen mk4 and displayed temp is always within .1°. So simple a caveman can do it.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20821 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
I have the same unit you are looking at and I have had zero issues! I would buy it again and I think you’ll be hard pressed to find better deals than Amazon. Enjoy great food!!

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of barndg00
posted Hide Post
I have had an Anova BT model for the past to years and love it. I have used it for everything from hot wings to fish to steaks (best I’ve ever made by the way). It is not really faster, but very precise and repeatable, and extends the window of perfect meat to get everything else to the table. I was just using a large stock pot with Saran Wrap over the top, but got a 12Qt plastic pot and neoprene jacket with lid for the cooker for my birthday and it is much better for long or multiple cooks (almost no water loss). I made duck confit with it, cooking for 36 hours last week - awesome! I thought the big green egg was upping my cookin game, but sous vide is the biggest jump in cooking that I’ve ever seen.

Posts: 2155 | Location: NC | Registered: January 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shifferbrains:

I don't think you can go wrong with either. Download the free apps and "dryfire" them. The recipes don't care which unit you use.

I bought the Anova because we wanted a second one. [URL=Glazed Carrots]http://recipes.anovaculinary.com/recipe/sous-vide-glazed-carrots[/URL] cook at a different temp then steak, so we bought a second one so things finished at the same time. We haven't used the Anova nearly as much.

If I had to choose, I give a slight edge to the Anova. If I did, I'd definitely download the ChefSteps app and subscribe to their email list (they email new recipes once a month or so that don't get added to the app). Their app and recipes have a more professional chef feel to them, whereas the Anova recipes seems to have a Yelp! review feel to them. Could just be better marketing and presentation.

Sous Vide is great for veggies and meat. The recipes seem especially good for Paleo type diets (moderate fat, low carb).

I cannot recommend the sous vide carrots enough (see link above; I use less sugar). The ChefSteps "Ultimate Steak," "Tender, Juicy Lamb Chops," and "Foolproof Fried Chicken" recipes have been huge successes around here.

You can use zip-lock freezer bags for short cooks but probably want a vacuum seal bags with good quality vacuum seal bags for cooks longer than a more than a few hours.

Hope this helps

Posts: 1173 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shorted to Atmosphere
Picture of Shifferbrains
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Davenator:
quote:

I don't think you can go wrong with either. Download the free apps and "dryfire" them. The recipes don't care which unit you use.

I bought the Anova because we wanted a second one. [URL=Glazed Carrots]http://recipes.anovaculinary.com/recipe/sous-vide-glazed-carrots[/URL] cook at a different temp then steak, so we bought a second one so things finished at the same time. We haven't used the Anova nearly as much.

If I had to choose, I give a slight edge to the Anova. If I did, I'd definitely download the ChefSteps app and subscribe to their email list (they email new recipes once a month or so that don't get added to the app). Their app and recipes have a more professional chef feel to them, whereas the Anova recipes seems to have a Yelp! review feel to them. Could just be better marketing and presentation.

Sous Vide is great for veggies and meat. The recipes seem especially good for Paleo type diets (moderate fat, low carb).

I cannot recommend the sous vide carrots enough (see link above; I use less sugar). The ChefSteps "Ultimate Steak," "Tender, Juicy Lamb Chops," and "Foolproof Fried Chicken" recipes have been huge successes around here.

You can use zip-lock freezer bags for short cooks but probably want a vacuum seal bags with good quality vacuum seal bags for cooks longer than a more than a few hours.

Hope this helps

Great info, thanks!

Shorted to Atmosphere
Picture of Shifferbrains
posted Hide Post
Thank you everyone for the input and tips, I greatly appreciate them all!

I just now ordered the Anova 900W BT+WiFi unit. I also ordered a 12qt. Rubbermaid tub, cover and neoprene skin. All of this shipped came in under $200. Will receive all on Sunday.

Thanks again!!

Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Sorry, a bit late. Cook's Illustrated had a review in one of their recent issues. Still may be an interesting read for you:

https://www.cooksillustrated.c...mmersion-circulators

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17277 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thank you everyone for the input and tips, I greatly appreciate them all!

I just now ordered the Anova 900W BT+WiFi unit. I also ordered a 12qt. Rubbermaid tub, cover and neoprene skin. All of this shipped came in under $200. Will receive all on Sunday.

Thanks again!!

That's sounds like a great deal. Where did you ordered from?

Posts: 1040 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: August 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shorted to Atmosphere
Picture of Shifferbrains
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:
Sorry, a bit late. Cook's Illustrated had a review in one of their recent issues. Still may be an interesting read for you:

https://www.cooksillustrated.c...mmersion-circulators

Good article, thanks.

What I am getting for the money spent, I think I made the right decision.