SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Tell me about Clarksville, Tenn
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tell me about Clarksville, Tenn Login/Join 
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cparktd:
What we really mean is Damn Yankee.

But the "good foreigners" know the difference between a Yankee and a damn Yankee. Wink

Years ago, my mom asked my friend Ed (from Connecticut) if he knew. He did, and he was welcomed heartily. Alas, he went back to CT a while later....

God bless America.

Posts: 13486 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So how would a norther that is patriotic, likes to shoot guns, mind his own business, HATES the Democratic Party, liberals and all the damage they have done to our country (especially our major cities) in general do down there ?

Posts: 5742 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Villebilly Deluxe
posted Hide Post
Many folks move down here from up north and do just fine. Most southerners are friendly and welcoming by nature. The ones who complain about how we drive, how we talk and make it clear they think we are stupid are not well received. They probably have no idea how the natives actually feel about them. The natives are too polite for that.

As mentioned earlier in this thread the expression "bless your heart" has more than one meaning.

Posts: 393 | Location: Bluegrass State | Registered: February 09, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’m pretty laid back, say y’all a lot even though i’m Originally from NY, as for driving I’m ok in any case as I spent many a year driving a cab in Manhattan. I might climb on the sidewalk just for a bit—for old times sake though. I love sweet tea (can’t really get it here) and dealing with friendly talkative people— you haven’t met my family.

Sounds like I will enjoy my time in North Tennessee.

I should be tall and rich too; That ain't gonna happen either

Posts: 358 | Location: NW NJ | Registered: December 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cruising the
Highway to Hell
Picture of 95flhr
posted Hide Post
Y'all just need to go over yonder and wait for the welcome wagon.

“Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.”
― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart

Posts: 6484 | Location: Near the Beaverdam in VA | Registered: February 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
A lot of people from Tennessee are jealous. They make jokes about Kentucky, but secretly it is the fact that we when we say we have all of our original teeth, we don't have to hold up a used XANAX bottle to show them off.

We only have Louisville that is a slimly lefty commune, instead of Memphis, Nashville AND Knoxville.

Tennesse is below KY for a reason.

Big Grin

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
1st just for the record all ya’ll are super nice. We northerners are just assholes and we get confused by nice and it takes a while for us to acclimate and not immediately think “what does this guy want” Smile

2nd God yes the sweet tea. First time here I ordered an iced tea. I took a big swig and nearly went into diabetic shock. Now how one enjoys their tea is not right or wrong but HOLLLLEEEEYYYY HELLLL if your brain is expecting unsweetened and you get brown koolaid it’ll wake you up. I have worked up to unsweetened with a shot of sweet in it.

3rd Most folks here are smart, hard working, funny, self reliant, damn good people...........who ABSOLUTE CANNOT DRIVE Razz

Yes I said all ya’ll. Smile

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7675 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
It may not matter to you but being able to buy wine and beer at a grocery store is nice.

All jokes aside about the talkative Southerners, after about a year or so when you go home to visit or whatever you will have that moment where you miss chit chatting with the grocery store checker. You might hate yourself for it but you will miss it. Smile

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7675 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ftttu
posted Hide Post
The only thing I know about Clarksville is that it is about 22 miles away from Hickok45's spread there near Pleasant View.

Looks like pretty country to me, and I bet folks around there are mighty nice. Since the Cumberland River flows through, I'm sure there is some good recreation associated with it.

Retired Texas Lawman, now active reserve

Posts: 1164 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 03, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:

Y'all still cant merge worth a damn... Smile

OK, got me there, SOME of us indeed can't... my wife is the worst, bless her heart...
Once she merged us onto I-40, pretty crowded at the time and traffic was running about 85 MPH. She was doing maybe 30 MPH at the end of the ramp. From the passenger seat I'm screaming alternately all the way down the ramp.. "We're gonna die" and "It's the pedal on the right... f'in mash it". She just said... but what if there ain't no hole for me when I get there?
She's a farmers daughter and learned to drive on a tractor... Seems she didn't transition to cars well. That said, at 63 she has never caused or even been in any kind of a wreck except once she got rear ended while stopped at a red light. The man upstairs is looking out for her I guess.

Oh, and you should get Tennessee plates ASAP. Like many places out of state cars get extra attention by the LEO.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4128 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bodhisattva
posted Hide Post
I used to live in middle TN. Great place to live, awesome people. If you relax and go with the flow, you'll be better for it.
I think it's all the damn yankees who can't drive.

I'd go back in a second if I could.

Posts: 11507 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Why did you warn him about the sweet tea? it's always fun to watch the facial expressions the first time they try it.

Next you are start talking about Waffle house.

TN is what I call "Golden Rule" Country. Treat others with respect and they'll treat you with respect. Hold the sarcasm until you get to know folks. Clarksville is a little different because of all the military folks.

Posts: 4584 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I don't know anything about Clarksville (I'm ~250 miles to the east), but being a fairly recent transplant to TN (from California), there are a few things to know. For one, get used to being addressed as "Mr. Jim" and women, even much younger than you, calling you "hon," "sweetie" and "darlin'." It's just how they roll. I have still not acquired a taste for sweet tea. Big Grin

Posts: 27929 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll take that ANY day. Beats "YO" by a mile or two.

I should be tall and rich too; That ain't gonna happen either

Posts: 358 | Location: NW NJ | Registered: December 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
This has been one of those fun learn about places threads!

Ya'll... Wink

Sweet tea....with lemon, thank you.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cparktd:
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:

Y'all still cant merge worth a damn... Smile

OK, got me there, SOME of us indeed can't... my wife is the worst, bless her heart...
Once she merged us onto I-40, pretty crowded at the time and traffic was running about 85 MPH. She was doing maybe 30 MPH at the end of the ramp. From the passenger seat I'm screaming alternately all the way down the ramp.. "We're gonna die" and "It's the pedal on the right... f'in mash it". She just said... but what if there ain't no hole for me when I get there?
She's a farmers daughter and learned to drive on a tractor... Seems she didn't transition to cars well. That said, at 63 she has never caused or even been in any kind of a wreck except once she got rear ended while stopped at a red light. The man upstairs is looking out for her I guess.

Oh, and you should get Tennessee plates ASAP. Like many places out of state cars get extra attention by the LEO.

That being said, I love it here. I guess I fall in the damn Yankee category because I don't plan on leaving.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10722 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CD228:
Why did you warn him about the sweet tea? it's always fun to watch the facial expressions the first time they try it.

Next you are start talking about Waffle house.

TN is what I call "Golden Rule" Country. Treat others with respect and they'll treat you with respect. Hold the sarcasm until you get to know folks. Clarksville is a little different because of all the military folks.

I love Waffle House...the local one knows my order as soon as I sit down...

But I still don't like tea, sweet or otherwise.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10722 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
secretly it is the fact that we when we say we have all of our original teeth, we don't have to hold up a used XANAX bottle to show them off.

Having grown up in West Virginia (then gotten the heck out!) I say: "BAA-Hahahaha!! Good one, sir!" Big Grin

[drift] Is Knoxville lefty? I've often said that if I weren't here, I'd go there. Maybe that's not such a good idea? [/drift]

God bless America.

Posts: 13486 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post