SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Sometimes Police Work Must Seem To Be Downright ...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sometimes Police Work Must Seem To Be Downright ... Login/Join 
Picture of John Steed
posted
... Shitty.

Accused Burglar Doesn't Flush Toilet, Leaves DNA for Police

VENTURA, Calif. (AP) -- A man accused of burglarizing a Southern California home took a bathroom break and left DNA evidence in the toilet that led to his arrest, an investigator said Tuesday.

The suspect "did his business and didn't flush it" during the October break-in in the city of Thousand Oaks, said Detective Tim Lohman of the Ventura County Sheriff's Office.

That allowed investigators to collect evidence to conduct a DNA profile. It matched another profile in a national database and detectives tracked down the suspect at his home in the nearby city of Ventura.

Andrew David Jensen was arrested July 28 on suspicion of first-degree residential burglary, a felony. His bail was set at $180,000. Lohman did not know if Jensen, 42, has an attorney.

Efforts to reach Jensen for comment Tuesday were unsuccessful.

Lohman said it's the first DNA burglary match case he knows of with fecal evidence collected from a toilet.

"When people think of DNA evidence, they usually think of hair samples or saliva," Lohman said.

Jensen was scheduled to make his first court appearance Wednesday.

... stirred anti-clockwise.

Posts: 2076 | Location: Michigan | Registered: May 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Loves His Wife
Picture of BRL
posted Hide Post
Normally I frown when they don't flush the brown. In this case BRL approves.

I am not BIPOLAR. I don't even like bears.

Posts: 12932 | Location: Western WI | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
I remember our crime scene investigators telling us they can't get DNA out of poop or urine.

Sounds like they just didn't want to swab poop samples lol

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
In the 1971 book I, Pig: Or, How the World's Most Famous Cop, Me, Is Fighting City Hall by by Jack Muller he tells of using feces swabbed off a victim to convict a really sick rapist.

The hard part was getting an exemplar from the suspect, so they put him in a cell with a disabled toilet. When he was getting the evidence off the victim, everyone thought he'd flipped his lid, but the evidence technician who did the comparison thought it was a great example of science-based police investigation. All this in the days before DNA profiles.

Amazing the stuff my brain stores. I read that book as a freshman in high school, circa 1973/4.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31419 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
King Nothing
Picture of SigSauerP226
posted Hide Post
Here's another from my county, this one linked a cold case homicide. Different agency, though, so I suppose that's why he thought it was the first time DNA linked feces.

"DNA collected from feces in a laundry basket found inside Shirley's closet was also matched to Casillas' DNA on April 20, 2014."

http://www.vcstar.com/story/ne...-teen-1997/97767218/

...Then it comes to be that the soothing light at the end of your tunnel, is just a freight train coming your way...

Posts: 2440 | Location: Simi Valley, CA | Registered: September 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
Lucky he used the toilet. Its a thing for some burglars to drop a deuce on the kitchen counter, or dining room table.

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post