SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Does Valhalla exist …
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Does Valhalla exist … Login/Join 
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
Is that intended to mock those who believe in an afterlife?

If I were someone who jumped to conclusions with no evidence to support them I would say that such a question said much more about the questioner than atheists.

But as I’m not, I’ll treat it as a genuine request for information and answer it seriously.

No, it is not intended to mock anyone. There are much easier targets about the afterlife than a belief in Valhalla if that was my intent.

I have a warrior friend (former Army Special Forces) whom I respect very much who strongly identifies with certain traditional Norse values. He may have a vague notion of the concept of a Valhalla-like afterlife, but I doubt that he believes in the whole pantheon of traditional Norse gods. I suspect that’s true of most who answered yes to my poll question. But I don’t know. Our discussions didn’t actually plant the seed of inquiry that prompted my question, but they certainly helped it germinate and grow.

Contrary to widespread popular notions, not all atheists are “coldly certain” of their beliefs about religion. I am intellectually certain about my beliefs, but not emotionally positive, and I am curious about others’ concepts of what awaits us all. When I posted the poll, I actually expected very few “yes” answers, and am surprised by the results thus far. Are all of the yes answers serious? Based on my experience with asking much less controversial questions here, I suspect they are not. But it’s hard to imagine that all are attempts to stir up controversy or are more wishful thinking than firm belief.

I constantly strive to improve my knowledge and reasoning about countless subjects, from the best ways to teach new LEOs to shoot to the metaphysical. I have discussed the supernatural with a far left former Mormon Mensa member and she has given me much to think about, because despite her being an avowed atheist as well, she accepts that there may be supernatural forces that affect our lives. If I’m willing to consider her ideas seriously, I am certainly willing to consider the ideas of some of the members of this forum. I do not have all the answers to anything, much less questions about religion and possible afterlives, and I deeply appreciate the people who are willing to express their beliefs about such subjects.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
If Hyakujo’s Fox did not escape the law of karma then how could a viking traduce karma? He can not. There is no Vahalla.

http://www.101zenstories.org/hyakujos-fox/

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mr kablammo,

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5952 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
It's just north of White Plains.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16119 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
Yup. http://valhallaresorthotel.com

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3955 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
quote:
Is that intended to mock those who believe in an afterlife?

If I were someone who jumped to conclusions with no evidence to support them I would say that such a question said much more about the questioner than atheists.

But as I’m not, I’ll treat it as a genuine request for information and answer it seriously.
I do not have all the answers to anything, much less questions about religion and possible afterlives, and I deeply appreciate the people who are willing to express their beliefs about such subjects.

I know. I know you do. I'm sorry. The question was intended to be a bit tongue-in-cheek... Smile

So, I'll try to give a serious answer.

First, I had to look it up:

In Norse mythology, Valhalla (/vɑːlˈhɑːlɑː/;[1] from Old Norse Valhöll "hall of the slain")[2] is a majestic, enormous hall located in Asgard, ruled over by the god Odin. Chosen by Odin, half of those who die in combat travel to Valhalla upon death, led by valkyries, while the other half go to the goddess Freyja's field Fólkvangr. In Valhalla, the dead join the masses of those who have died in combat, known as Einherjar, and various legendary Germanic heroes and kings, as they prepare to aid Odin during the events of Ragnarök. Before the hall stands the golden tree Glasir, and the hall's ceiling is thatched with golden shields. Various creatures live around Valhalla, such as the stag Eikþyrnir and the goat Heiðrún, both described as standing atop Valhalla and consuming the foliage of the tree Læraðr.

Does Valhalla exist?
I voted NO.

As a Christian, I do believe in an after-life though I don't see any division for warriors who die in battle.
I'm unsure about purgatory, which would be a temporary state of purification, but that idea may not have any relation to the idea of Valhalla.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 23942 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
I know. I know you do. I'm sorry. The question was intended to be a bit tongue-in-cheek... Smile

Okay, thank you. As I must remind myself, sometimes it’s difficult to detect the intended tone of a question via the Internet. Smile

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
I've only learned of this in recent times as it is used by Veterans of War from Desert Storm to date. Is this a product of our younger generation of Veterans ? I believe it is.

Posts: 17891 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post