SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Cordless Drills / Drivers
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cordless Drills / Drivers Login/Join 
Ethics, antics,
and ballistics
Picture of Dtech
posted
My old Craftsman is getting a bit long in the tooth and its batteries are not holding a charge that well anymore either so was looking for myself and also for my father since I know he needs a new one too. I found this DeWalt on sale right now at a couple places including Amazon and it looks like a great replacement and gift. It is a 20V, brushless motor, two batteries, charger, and a nice bag. I figure if we both have the same drill we can share the extra batteries too as needed. Any recommendations or thoughts on this or other units?

DeWalt 20V Brushless

-Dtech

"I've got a life to live, people to love, and a God to serve!" - sigmonkey

"Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value." - Albert Einstein

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition" ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 4413 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: April 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
MILWAUKEE 18v Cool

Posts: 22904 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I bought a Hitachi brushless 18v drill/driver combination two years ago this summer. Both work like a champ & I'd buy again w/o a moment's hesitation.

That being said: The old Makita 7.2V cordless drill motor's second set of batteries are reaching EOL. So maybe I'll begin looking for deals on Milwaukee's little lithium drill motor with which to replace it.

<looks>...

Ha! Makita is still making replacement batteries for that thing Smile

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I don't know man I
just got here myself
Picture of mrw
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dtech:
My old Craftsman is getting a bit long in the tooth and its batteries are not holding a charge that well anymore either so was looking for myself and also for my father since I know he needs a new one too. I found this DeWalt on sale right now at a couple places including Amazon and it looks like a great replacement and gift. It is a 20V, brushless motor, two batteries, charger, and a nice bag. I figure if we both have the same drill we can share the extra batteries too as needed. Any recommendations or thoughts on this or other units?

DeWalt 20V Brushless

That Dewalt in my opinion is the Gold Standard. I have one and have tried most others. Buy it and do not look back.

mrw

Hand Made Custom Knives
www.sandownforge.com

Posts: 1737 | Location: Gulf Coast Florida | Registered: June 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ken226
posted Hide Post
I can be pretty cheap, for years was frustrated by anything battery powered. For years I bought the cheaper brands of batter powered drills/screwdrivers and just accepted that it was normal to run out of battery power after the 3rd screw.

One Christmas my wife bought me a DeWalt cordless kit that came with the driver unit, charger and 2 batteries. The same one in your post, but with an extra battery. That fucker just plain rocks!

Now i still got lots of harbor freight junk, but all my cordless tools are bright yellow. Another vote for DeWalt here. Their batteries must run on fission, cause they last!

Posts: 1563 | Location: WA | Registered: December 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've got the same drill and love it. Mine came in a kit with the impact driver. I probably use the impact more than the drill but they both work great.

That said my son uses Milwaukee drills and impacts every day for work and he won't use anything else.

Jim

Posts: 1338 | Location: Northern Michigan | Registered: September 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrw:
quote:

DeWalt 20V Brushless

That Dewalt in my opinion is the Gold Standard. I have one and have tried most others. Buy it and do not look back.

I have one too. It's a dandy.

Posts: 26904 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nothing beats the 20V DeWalt line-up.

Posts: 10055 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
I have the Milwaukee M12 set and am very pleased with them. I don't do a lot of heavy carpentry so the 12v system works fine for my needs.

I did get the 5" circular saw and that had trouble going through wet 3/4" plywood though. Other than that, it works fine for the small jobs.

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5751 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
I like Dewalts 20v lineup and use them all the time.

I have had some trouble over the years with there plastic chucks on some of their drills. They don't hold drill bits and other things well. No matter how much I tighten them I have still had bits fall out.

Never had this problem with the metal chucks on their drill. Had this problem with both the 18v and 20v.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16397 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
I have Milwaukee m12 and love it. DeWalt makes good stuff as well.

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
Home Depot sure pushes the Ryobi 18v One system. They have a 5 tool set for $199 that I may buy just to get the brad nailer.

Any love for the Ryobi?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ry...Tool-P1882/206349864

Posts: 4697 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
I have DeWalt tools that are all 20V lithium, with my impact driver being brushless.

Fantastic tools so far. I'd get it.

quote:
Originally posted by comet24:

I have had some trouble over the years with there plastic chucks on some of their drills. They don't hold drill bits and other things well. No matter how much I tighten them I have still had bits fall out.

Never had this problem with the metal chucks on their drill. Had this problem with both the 18v and 20v.

Plastic chucks on a drill?? WTF?

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17277 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
4-H Shooting
Sports Instructor
Picture of Zecpull
posted Hide Post
The only thing I Like as much as the 20v Dewalt is it's little brother that I bought first.. the 12v drill and driver. I use it all the time it is light and I have a full set of impact sockets for it. The 20V impact will take the wheels off my car, and is strong light and the batteries just last.

'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but
> because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton

NRA Endowment Life member
NRA Pistol instructor...and Range Safety instructor
Women On Target Instructor.

Posts: 9071 | Location: Wooster,Ohio | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I was younger I used to work for Home Depot. DeWalt power tools where returned all day, every day, broken.

Milwaukee or Makita, no question. I own A LOT of power tools, in both brands. Zero failures, ever.

IDPA ESP SS

Posts: 973 | Location: Nashville, TN | Registered: January 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by doublesharp:
Home Depot sure pushes the Ryobi 18v One system. They have a 5 tool set for $199 that I may buy just to get the brad nailer.

Any love for the Ryobi?

I've had Ryobi One+ for over 17 years. They just keep making tools and batteries to be compatible (no one else can say that) with the system. For example, when they came out with Lithium Ion all you had to do was buy a new charger and battery, and all of your old tools worked. The batteries are more expensive than the tools, and what I've done when I need a new battery is buy another tool that includes batteries. I now have 2 drills so I'm not constantly chucking between pilot bit and screw driver.

I don't make a living with my tools, and don't give a damn that some tools are blue (old) and some are fluorescent green (new).

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23249 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
It would be a crime against humanity if you bought that. Get the combo that includes the impact. So, so many uses for it. Also pick up one of these while you're at it.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20820 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by doublesharp:

Any love for the Ryobi?

I love and use ryobi, that said you can't go wrong with any of the major brands today. I do prefer ryobi for what i do

Posts: 663 | Registered: August 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dewalt was the standard back in the day. The only thing I can tell you, my company burns out three Dewalts for every one burnt-out Milwaukee. I work for a very large telecom company, here in western PA we have 450 outside techs with cordless drills.

You can't go wrong with either Dewalt or Milwaukee, but longevity is on the Milwaukee's side for the last few years. Although I do have a old 14.4. volt Dewalt that is still works great at almost 19 years old, with new batteries of coarse.

Batteries are the same, meaning life span is equal. Most times it is cheaper to buy a new kit with a drill,charger and two batteries then two batteries alone. You can also get the batteries rebuilt to save a little money.

Keep Americans working, buy American made!

Posts: 709 | Location: western PA | Registered: April 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrw:
quote:

DeWalt 20V Brushless

Same here.

I've had one for about four years now and love it. (Got near about the deal from Lowe's - bag, drill, little bit case, charger, and two batteries for $100.)

One note though - spare batteries can be pricey.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post