SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    DuckDuckGo a Better search engine...
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

DuckDuckGo a Better search engine... Login/Join 
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
LOL Rush just discussed DuckDuckGo on his show today as his recommended search engine. No tracking! Smile

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
LOL Rush just discussed DuckDuckGo on his show today as his recommended search engine. No tracking! Smile

About to see how well their server(s) can handle the increased traffic

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Haveme1or2
posted Hide Post
I just learned about it and changed. It seems slow and what comes up isn't as plentiful. Done stuff was from 2005 nothing new ...
Just different.

When using it as a search then when clicked its browser launches.

Posts: 1002 | Location: Mint Hill NC | Registered: November 26, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
So, you download it and when you open it up it says, “Tap the fire button to erase your tabs...”
Would that be all the saved websites I have?

Posts: 13164 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Precision Enthusiast
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
So, you download it and when you open it up it says, “Tap the fire button to erase your tabs...”
Would that be all the saved websites I have?

It erases your visited website history, not your saved bookmarks.

Posts: 121 | Registered: August 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dies Irae
Picture of Opus Dei
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Micropterus:
What are you guys using for a web browser? I've been using Microsoft Edge (with DuckDuckGo as a default search engine) on my PC and phone for awhile now.

I have an Android phone, so It's hard to get away from Google on that, so I use Samsung aps and third party aps as much as possible. But on my PC, I use Google for photo storage and that's about it.
Waterfox and DDG. On my iPhone, I also use DDG.

Posts: 5750 | Location: Fort Heathen, Texas | Registered: February 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
Started using it recently as well. Seems OK so far.

My question is how would any of us know if they are living up to the no tracking hype or not?

Thread drift imminent:
Pose the above question regarding any digital security issue. Seriously, I'd like to know if there is a way to get a trustworthy answer.
You know, one that doesn't ultimately come down to faith.

Posts: 7486 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
Slowly leaning towards it, one pc at a time. So far, no regrets.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12090 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by apprentice:
Started using it recently as well. Seems OK so far.

My question is how would any of us know if they are living up to the no tracking hype or not?

Thread drift imminent:
Pose the above question regarding any digital security issue. Seriously, I'd like to know if there is a way to get a trustworthy answer.
You know, one that doesn't ultimately come down to faith.

One way is all your sidebar ads don't switch to adverts for your last searches or purchases. Your youTube recommended videos don't suddenly change to subject matter you've recently searched. Stuff like that.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8200 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
As a result of listening to an hour or so of the Joe Rogan podcast with Dr. Robert Epstein, I have downloaded the browser app, “Brave.”

ComputerWorld Review

Decide for yourself on the interview, Epstein has some interesting things to say about Big Tech, particularly Google. I have increased my time listening to Rogan since the Malone interview.

Posts: 13164 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I have Brave installed but my use of it is limited. Firefox and Chrome are now such nanny browsers, they won't let me get into the Direct Admin console which is the back-end control panel for this forum. That's kinda inconvenient, y'know? Roll Eyes

But, Brave will let me in when I need to make changes for the forum. I'm just accustomed to Firefox and have all the plugins I need with it to block ads and block tracking, download videos, etc. I'm certain Brave would have these things available, too, but I don't want to bother with it at this point.

And, yes, I use duckduckgo for my search engine.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:

I'm just accustomed to Firefox and have all the plugins I need with it to block ads and block tracking, download videos, etc.
Would Tor do the browser job for you? Firefox users should not need any "re-training" in order to use Tor.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I don't know, never heard of it.

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
The Tor web browser is based on FireFox, but places mucho emphasis on privacy, avoiding tracking, etc. You can learn more about it at https://www.torproject.org.

Since it is based on FireFox, there should be minimal learning effort for anybody who is used to FireFox.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use Apple Safari mostly. Firefox for things that don't work in Safari. I dropped Chrome but didn't use it much.

I use DDG on my Macs, but I use Bing on my iPhones because Siri uses Bing and it integrates well with Apple Maps. I stopped using Google on my phones a long time ago because it always tried to push me to Google Maps or the Google Map website after I deleted the Maps app, whenever I clicked on an address after searching for a place.

Google search does get a some more hits and I use it occasionally through the website front end if I can't find what I'm looking for with DDG. Google got its dominance by being a good search engine that always seemed to find what you were looking for. Now it gives you a bunch of sponsored ads that are only tangentially related to the search, and you have to scroll through them to get to what you really want.

BUT, I have to use Google Chrome at work because our IT people have decided to use it as the default for a lot of internal stuff. Edge doesn't work for a lot of stuff, and Firefox is a bit better. For a while I had to remember which browser worked for which thing, which was annoying.

Posts: 4690 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
I use Apple Safari mostly. Firefox for things that don't work in Safari. I dropped Chrome but didn't use it much.

I might suggest that you go to “Settings, Safari,” then “Search Engine.” I’m no internet wiz, but I think you’ll find that the actual browser is not Safari, but Google, Yahoo, Bing, Duck Duck Go, or Ecosia.

Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
quote:
d be minimal learning effort for anybody who is used to FireFox.

Any cocktail can be a shrimp cocktail if you put your mind to it, and if you carry lots of loose shrimp in your pocket.

There's another search engine based in the Netherlands called "StartPage" they claim they will never turn their info over to any Government agency, which insinuates, USA.

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8318 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
firefox, chrome when i need something translated, duckduck go.

Posts: 2207 | Registered: October 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
Duck Duck is google based, just attempts to shield the request to make it more anonymous.

I've done searches on both and for the most part Duck Duck won't find a reference or two that Google will put in the search results. Yahoo will bring in a few more.

I've been using Dissenter as a browser for the last year and find no major problems with it, in fact it's making CC Cleaner and AVG free about 95% useless. CC would show thousands of trackers with Firefox, with Dissenter only about 100 a month. It's also available in Linux version which if used then avoids all the Microsoft reporting back and their constantly patched vulnerabilities.

We have a Samsung smart tv, my wife uses a Samsung tablet, and we have Samsung phones, there are a noticeable number of ads and emails she gets based on what she talks about or surfs. I don't get any of that on Dissenter - ad blocking is standard. I do get treated by the Walmart website as if I were a robot but its saving me money now, and their website has gotten more obtuse in finding shelf stock anyway.

The more we remove ourselves from the data harvesters the more we aren't targeted for our weaknesses and the less debt we rack up.

Posts: 613 | Registered: December 14, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tirod:
Duck Duck is google based, just attempts to shield the request to make it more anonymous.

¿Qué? References please.

Posts: 3369 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post