SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    DuckDuckGo a Better search engine...
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

DuckDuckGo a Better search engine... Login/Join 
Picture of downtownv
posted
Friends Don’t Let Friends Get Tracked!
We’re setting the new standard of trust online. You can support this mission by teaching your friends why they should switch to DuckDuckGo.

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8318 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Been using it for a while now.

It used to be a lot slower than it is now.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
I use it, too. It's excellent.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
I too use it. Unfortunately, Google permeates all my other electronics.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20302 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Been using it for several years. Never an issue and never ads that appear about or after my searches.

Google and Bing are history!!!

Posts: 990 | Location: Windermere, Florida | Registered: February 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Take the risk or
lose the chance
posted Hide Post
Can someone explain advantages and disadvantages (if any) of making this change pls?

EDIT: Found the site and have made the change. Thanks for the heads-up.

----------------------------------------
“The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”

Posts: 1475 | Location: RR12 | Registered: February 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
Been using DuckDuckGo for years. I avoid anything and everything google/Android/Gmail, etc.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3955 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Yep, the latest straw with google that has snapped the camels back, is enough for me. Switched to duckduckgo this week. its my default search engine now.

Bye Felicia!!

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Resident Undertaker
Picture of BigCity
posted Hide Post
Been my default search engine for a while now.

John

The key to enforcement is to punish the violator, not an inanimate object. The punishment of inanimate objects for the commission of a crime or carelessness is an affront to stupidity.

Posts: 1727 | Location: People's Republik of Maryland | Registered: November 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
Use it everywhere but work

0:01

Posts: 4200 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
I use DuckDuckGo along with StartPage (SSL) which also doesn't track.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the reminder. Just changed my defaults.

Posts: 958 | Registered: October 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:

So Startpage running TLS thru a VPN!

TLS encrypts your data, then VPN does the same on top of that, right?

Sounds pretty secure.

Posts: 3953 | Location: UNK | Registered: October 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:

I used Startpage for years but they link their search with google, DDG doesn't....

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8318 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Notary Sojac
Picture of festus haggen
posted Hide Post
Is DuckDuckGo preferable to Bing?

Golden lads and girls all must,
As chimney-sweepers, come to dust.

Posts: 367 | Location: Maryland | Registered: June 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
This is the 2nd time I've had it as my default search engine. It doesn't allow you to limit your search to a year (a flaw they should fix as current time limits are only day, week, or 1 month), but it's a winner because:
  • they do not track you
  • they allow direct linking of photos . Google and Bing both quit doing that a few months ago and it takes a whole bunch of clicks to get to a photo link.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23098 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Nullus Anxietas
    Picture of ensigmatic
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by PowerSurge:
    Been using DuckDuckGo for years. I avoid anything and everything google/Android/Gmail, etc.

Ditto.

I still have a Google account and Gmail address, but I never used Gmail for anything but Google-related stuff, and now I no longer use Android mobile devices, so it's essentially unused.

It's a funny old thing: At one time I was thoroughly immersed in the Googlesphere. Now down to a couple rarely-used Android TV devices and the Gboard keyboard on my iPad (with Full Access disabled). Google burned their bridges with me, several ways.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
    "If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    I'll give it a try. Thanks!

Posts: 586 | Location: NC | Registered: March 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Old Air Cavalryman
    Picture of ARMT Guy
    posted Hide Post
    I've been using DuckDuckGo for the last two years or so.

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Truth Wins
    Picture of Micropterus
    posted Hide Post
    What are you guys using for a web browser? I've been using Microsoft Edge (with DuckDuckGo as a default search engine) on my PC and phone for awhile now.

I have an Android phone, so It's hard to get away from Google on that, so I use Samsung aps and third party aps as much as possible. But on my PC, I use Google for photo storage and that's about it.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post