SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Dicks at Dick's will Stop Selling Assault-Type Rifles
Page 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 19
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dicks at Dick's will Stop Selling Assault-Type Rifles Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I think Dick's is going to find they will lose a ton of gun business and a lot of non-gun business from this move. I already told my wife that we're done shopping there permanently, which means no more of my money is being spent on soccer gear and sneakers for the kids. Meanwhile, I will bet they don't gain a single dollar in sales from all the SJWs who praised them on social media but have never and will never set foot in a Dick's store. Let's see how their shareholders valuate likes and retweets.

Posts: 2466 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not going to shed any tears when their Field & Stream stores start to close.

Posts: 14573 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thawed out,
thrown out
posted Hide Post
quote:
Lawrence Ring, a professor at the Raymond A. Mason School of Business...

“It’s really hard to show that [people] buy guns and buy basketballs,” Ring said. “Generally when people come to buy guns, they buy guns and bullets.”

This idiot teaches business? Companies spend millions of dollars in advertising and marketing to get customers through their door because that's the hardest part. The average person rarely goes into a store and buys exactly what they went in for. For example, every time I goto Walmart to buy groceries I remember that I should grab a box of shells for trap shooting. The sporting goods dept is next to automotive and I'll remember that I need something for my vehicle so I'll swing by and toss that in the cart. What should have been a sale for $30 worth of groceries turns into double or triple that amount.

So now Dick's pulls this crap and gun owners are boycotting their store. It's not just the gun and ammo sales genius. It's the camping, fishing, hiking, baseball, basketball, golf, etc. sales. When are these morons going to learn that gun owners have the longest memories and tightest wallets when they attack our demographic? Think any one of us is going to shop at Dick's after this nonsense? There's nothing they can offer me to come within 100 feet of their store. On the other hand, why aren't they making tons of money because they were so "brave" for taking such a stance? Oh that's right! All these "protesters" have short memories and don't give two craps about making a special trip to support your store despite kowtowing to their incessant bitching and whining. I can't wait for Dicks to close their doors for good.

Posts: 124 | Registered: February 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
An op-ed from the CEO of Dick's, and he wrote one sentence I agree with:

"We suspected that speaking out would have a negative impact on our business."

Complete article:

https://www.washingtonpost.com...m_term=.75d075830196

I run Dick’s Sporting Goods. It’s Congress’s turn to do something about guns.

By Edward W. Stack March 21 at 4:06 PM

Edward W. Stack is chief executive of Dick’s Sporting Goods.

Throughout history, the United States has been a beacon of hope for the world — especially for people who appreciate and respect that we are a country founded on laws that have been enacted to guard our freedom and keep us safe.

As a gun owner, I support the Second Amendment and understand why, for many, the right to bear arms is as American as baseball and apple pie. But I also agree with what Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia wrote in his majority opinion in 2008’s landmark Heller case: “Like most rights, the right secured by the Second Amendment is not unlimited.” It is “not a right to keep and carry any weapon whatsoever in any manner whatsoever and for whatever purpose.”

It is clear we have a problem with the gun laws in this country. They are not squarely focused on keeping all of us safe — especially our children.

There continue to be mass shootings — at our schools, churches and entertainment venues. Following each of these senseless, tragic events there’s a great deal of idle, fruitless talk in the halls of Congress, and then the conversation quickly comes to an end.

It’s our great hope and belief that this time will be different. It has to be different.

Maybe it’s because the survivors of the Parkland, Fla., massacre — and the thousands of students who made their feelings known for 17 minutes last week — are standing up and shouting “enough is enough” and “never again.” They are demanding that our elected officials come together to find solutions. These brave young men and women are not going away.

In the weeks since we at Dick’s Sporting Goods announced plans to stop selling assault-style rifles, plans to only sell firearms to those over 21 and other new policies, we have been striving to keep this conversation going. We have met with a number of lawmakers and have talked with many of our peers in the retail industry. We have spoken with strong-willed advocacy groups and visited with families in Parkland.

It is becoming increasingly apparent through our conversations that there continues to be deep skepticism that anything of substance will be done.

Some members of Congress are committed to change, but not enough are willing to set aside partisanship to find a solution. I continue to call on lawmakers in both parties to talk with each other with the expressed intent to act.

What’s also surprising is how many citizens and leaders in our government are not aware of the loopholes and inconsistences in our firearms laws.

Here are some to think about:

You can’t buy a handgun until you’re 21, but you can buy an assault-style rifle at 18.

●You can buy a gun on the Internet from someone in your state without a background check, but a background check is required to buy a gun on the Internet from someone in a different state.

●Few states provide a list of those in their state who are banned from buying a gun to other states.

●A person deemed too dangerous to fly on a commercial plane is nonetheless legally permitted to purchase a gun.

We understand this is a complex issue and Congress has a number of constituencies with broad agendas. But we hope Congress will take notice of not only what students are saying but also what the private sector is telling it. Two of the three largest firearms retailers in the country have publicly said we are implementing our own policies for the sale of firearms.

This issue transcends our company’s bottom line. We suspected that speaking out would have a negative impact on our business. But this was about our values and standing up for what we think is right.

After we announced our new firearms policy, we were gratified that Walmart, Kroger, L.L. Bean and REI showed courage and leadership by announcing their own new policies. We hope others in the private and public sectors join us in this effort.

A group of us in corporate America have taken a stand, made hard choices and enacted reforms on our own because we firmly believe it’s the right thing to do for our kids and for our country.

The kids in Florida and across the nation have taken a stand and been brave enough to make their voices heard.

The majority of Americans are demanding that members of Congress take a stand and be brave enough to do their jobs.

Posts: 15899 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dies Irae
Picture of Opus Dei
posted Hide Post
^Guess what, Mr. Stack? All the helicopter parents you tried to score points with aren't going to patronize your stores beyond a one-time purchase of safety gear and a wiffle bat for their children's "playdate".

Sorry, but moral currency isn't legal tender and not accepted outside of gated communities. Hope you have a golden parachute.

Posts: 5750 | Location: Fort Heathen, Texas | Registered: February 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
Amazing that Dick's never realized who it customer base was...
They will soon be out of business, falling on their own PC sword. Serves them right.

Dick's CEO Ramps Up Gun Control Push As Company Suffers 'Deeper-Than-Expected' Losses
"There are going to be the people who don’t shop us anymore for anything."

https://www.dailywire.com/news...uffers-james-barrett

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 23945 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
No shit, Sherlock. How many weeks did it take you to figure out the obvious?

Posts: 107260 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigwagon:
I will bet they don't gain a single dollar in sales from all the SJWs who praised them on social media but have never and will never set foot in a Dick's store.

There's a run on flower-imprinted yoga mats.

"Crom is strong! If I die, I have to go before him, and he will ask me, 'What is the riddle of steel?' If I don't know it, he will cast me out of Valhalla and laugh at me."

Posts: 6641 | Registered: September 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
They will soon be out of business, falling on their own PC sword. Serves them right.

Dick's CEO Ramps Up Gun Control Push As Company Suffers 'Deeper-Than-Expected' Losses

Yep. Today I drove 20 miles out of the way to go to another store rather than shop at Dick's which was right next to another store I was at.

Posts: 3657 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
Our representatives in Congress are doing their job. They are listening to the people who voted them in instead of the vocal minority. Conservatives didn’t sweep both houses and the Presidency from a bunch of pussies afraid of inanimate objects.

I wish I could boycott Dicks even further but since I’ve refused to shop there for years I can’t do anything but laugh when they start closing stores.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Stack really needs to have his guns taken away. He seems to keep shooting his own feet.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37084 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
:^)
Picture of BillyBonesNY
posted Hide Post
Moreover, I find the politicizing of every facet of life tedious.

I haven't bought from Dicks in a while.
Last time I wanted to buy .45acp, they wanted my pistol permit.

When the clerk began entering it into their point of sale application I cancelled the purchase and took my permit back.

I don't want a retail chain to have every bit of information on me... stored in a system that at some point will be exploited.

Fuq Dicks.

----------------------------------------
http://lonesurvivorfoundation.org

Posts: 7177 | Registered: March 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of EasyFire
posted Hide Post
It may have already been mentioned, but Dicks is still selling 223 ammunition. That is the stuff that actually kills things.

EasyFire

EasyFire [AT] zianet.com
----------------------------------
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
Colorado Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
Nationwide Agent for >
US LawShield > https://www.texaslawshield.com...p.php?promo=ondemand
CCW Safe > www.ccwsafe.com/CCHPI

Posts: 1441 | Location: Denver Area Colorado | Registered: December 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bobtheelf:
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:

Yep. Today I drove 20 miles out of the way to go to another store rather than shop at Dick's which was right next to another store I was at.

Capitalism for the win...

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16119 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sig sailor
posted Hide Post
I'm going to go to my local Dick's and go to the gun counter and let them know that I will never spend another penny in their store. I will also advise the the person working the counter to get their resume up to date. Hey, it's the least I can do for the poor bugger. Smile
Rod

"Do not approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction." John Deacon, Author

Posts: 1673 | Location: Between Rock & Hard Place (Pontiac & Detroit) | Registered: December 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
The people you might harass in the store have as much to do with the decisions of Dick's ownership as you do. Why give a hard time to some guy just trying to make a living? This accomplishes what?

Posts: 107260 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
Will Dick’s Be the Next Best Buy…or the Next Toys ‘R’ Us?
By Teresa Rivas
March 19, 2018 10:23 a.m. ET

In a winner-takes-all environment, retailers face increasingly binary outcomes: Either figure out a way to turn your business around or go bust. And no area might illustrate this climate than sporting goods retailers like Dick's Sporting Goods (DKS) and Hibbett Sports (HIBB).
Will Dick’s Be the Next Best Buy…or the Next Toys ‘R’ Us?

Neither stock has been doing well recently. Shares of Dick's Sporting Goods (DKS) tumbled after the sporting goods retailers' earnings report earlier this month, and Hibbett Sports (HIBB) also lost ground after reporting fourth-quarter earnings. In fact, both companies have tumbled more than 20% in the past 12 months, as they deal with slumping sales and worries that e-commerce is eating into business.

Investors are right to be cautious. Credit Suisse analyst Seth Sigman likens Dick's and Hibbett to another pair of brand-dependent retailers: Best Buy (BBY) and Toys 'R' Us. The latter stated in its bankruptcy filing that it couldn't compete against discounters on price or shipping, citing Walmart (WMT), Target (TGT), and of course Amazon.com (AMZN). By contrast, Best Buy lowered its prices early on, beefed up its service, and increased its partnerships with top vendors, while also investing in its online operations. That's not only allowed it to survive, but thrive: Its shares have gained 51% during the past 12 months.

Right now, though, Dick's and Hibbett are in transition, somewhere in between the Toys 'R' Us and Best Buy, though neither sporting goods store has found a way to successfully grapple with the headwinds facing the industry, as brands find more outlets beyond their stores to reach consumers, online competition grows, and there are still too many physical retail locations. It could go either way, Sigman writes, but he's not willing to pick a side just yet. As a result, he reiterated a Neutral rating on Dick's and an Underperform on Hibbett.

Shares of Dick's Sporting Goods have dropped 2.4% to $34.07 at 10:22 a.m. today, while Hibbett Sports has ticked up 0.1% to $21.98, and Best Buy has fallen 0.6% to $69.30. The SPDR S&P Retail ETF (XRT) has declined 0.6% to $44.46.

https://www.barrons.com/articl...&ru=yahoo&yptr=yahoo

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The next Best Buy? No.

Maybe the next Circuit City.

Posts: 1345 | Location: WI | Registered: July 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Speling Champ
posted Hide Post
I never bought guns, ammo or accessories from Dick’s, because I could get better prices elsewhere.

I did buy a fair amount of fishing stuff-rods, reels, tackle, bait and other gear.

Guess who’s never getting another dime from me? I’ll use old string and a broken twig for a fishing pole before I ever buy anything else from Dick’s.

Posts: 1603 | Location: Utah | Registered: July 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
Lets hope REI joins them in financial trouble down the line.

Posts: 7934 | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post