SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Dicks at Dick's will Stop Selling Assault-Type Rifles
Page 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 19
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dicks at Dick's will Stop Selling Assault-Type Rifles Login/Join 
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ackks:
Lets hope REI joins them in financial trouble down the line.

I don't really want to derail the thread, but what's the deal with REI?

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3514 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
REI has discontinued Camp Chef line of equipment and possibly a couple others. They decided if your a gun company they want nothing to do with you. They’ve never exactly been friends of gun owners, now they’ve made it policy.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5148 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Perception:
quote:
Originally posted by Ackks:
Lets hope REI joins them in financial trouble down the line.

I don't really want to derail the thread, but what's the deal with REI?

Canadian outdoor coop store Mountain Equipment Corp (MEC) and it's American counterpart REI, has decided to no longer carry any of the brands owned by Vista Outdoors because some of their many brands in their portfolio, including Savage Arms & Federal, produce AR's and apart of the firearms industry. Among the brands they will stop carrying on their shelves are CamelBak, Giro, Bell, Bushnell and Camp Chef.
Those on the left are congratulating themselves as they believe their letter/comment writing campaign urging both companies to separate from Vista is a result of their efforts.
https://www.outsideonline.com/...t-ties-vista-outdoor

Posts: 14634 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You Can’t Spell Hypocrite without REI
quote:
The Federal Aid and Wildlife Restoration Act, known throughout most of the hunting and shooting community as the Pittman-Robertson Act (P-R), was created in 1937 by congress to reverse the damages of market hunting and ensure the longevity of wild places and wildlife for future generations. Details and amendments of the act are extensive but to summarize: a 10% excise tax is levied on all firearms, handgun accessories, ammunitions and archery equipment. The funds generated are dedicated, they do not go to the U.S. Treasury but to a trust managed by the Department of the Interior. The money must be used for conservation and is divvied-up to states using a formula of land mass and population. For most state wildlife agencies, Pittman-Robertson along with the funds generated by the sale of hunting and fishing licenses is the core of operating budgets. Since inception P-R has generated over $11 billion for the maintenance and management of wild places.

Hunters and anglers fund the outdoors at the state level for the enjoyment of all. Hikers, bikers, campers, kayakers, climbers, skiers—there are no equivalent license fees and no excise taxes on these pursuits. Why does this matter?

Last week a retailer of outdoor equipment, REI, suspended all purchases of Vista Outdoors goods. Vista is the parent company for many brands you might normally see in outdoor stores including Camp Chef, Giro, Bell, Camelbak and Blackburn. Vista is also well-known in the shooting sports industry for brands such as Federal Premium Ammunition and Savage Arms.

“REI does not sell guns. We believe that it is the job of companies that manufacture and sell guns and ammunition to work towards common sense solutions that prevent the type of violence that happened in Florida last month.” (read REI’s full statement) The apparent underlying logic is that Vista Outdoors should be policing customers and fighting crime should be part of gear maker’s business model.

Corporate social responsibility is becoming a more prominent feature in business. There can be tangible and true results from such initiatives. But maybe the goals of that social responsibility need to be more closely scrutinized. Attempting profit from promoting divisiveness seems counter to the spirit of positive social change.

REI sells outdoor gear, so let’s take a look at something directly in their wheelhouse. Since 1976 REI has donated $77 million to conservation. Last year they donated $9.3 million to the outdoors. Those may sound like big numbers until held up against annual sales of $2.56 billion. This means that REI donated just one-third of 1% of sales to support the wild places from which it garners mountains of money.

In 2017 alone Vista Outdoors’ brands generated $87 million for the Federal Aid and Wildlife Restoration Act—more money in a single year than REI donated in 42 years. Hunters and target shooters are paying a premium on products in support of the outdoors. REI is profiting from shooting sports’ investment, then pointing a scolding finger with the hand opposite the one clutching cash.

Until REI and other outdoor brands begin paying their fair share in support of wild places and wildlife from which they profit, consider purchasing directly from the brands that do support the outdoors. A great place to start is 2% for Conservation—www.fishandwildlife.org—which asks businesses to contribute 1% of their gross sales and 1% of their employees’ time. REI is $16.3 million short and would need to provide 252,000 hours of time to meet this basic level of outdoor stewardship that other hunting and fishing companies are leading.

If we held REI to the same standards hunters have been held to for decades, they should be donating $256 million annually. A sizable chunk of this could be accomplished by asking members of REI’s co-op to donate the dividends they receive annually to support wild places. That could account for $194 million and might offer more sturdy footing for preaching to shooting sports manufactures.

Posts: 14634 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
Thanks folks, I guess I'll be curtailing my spending at REI.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3514 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of olfuzzy
posted Hide Post
Nothing like doubling down on a bad idea Roll Eyes

Dick’s Sporting Goods no longer sells AR-15-style rifles at any of its stores, and soon its unsold inventory of the much-vilified firearms won’t be available anywhere else.

Instead of returning them to their manufacturers, Dick’s will destroy its entire stock of unsold AR-15s, the company said Monday.

“We are in the process of destroying all firearms and accessories that are no longer for sale as a result of our February 28th policy change,” a Dick’s spokeswoman told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. “We are destroying the firearms in accordance with federal guidelines and regulations.”

Pennsylvania-based Dick’s, the world’s largest sporting goods retailer, stopped selling AR-15-style rifles in February in response to the Parkland, Fla., school shooting. The company had previously removed the rifles from the shelves of its Dick’s-branded stores but continued to offer them at its 35 Field & Stream retail locations.

Parkland shooter Nikolas Cruz had purchased a gun from a Dick’s store, though not the AR-15-style rifle he used in the massacre. Still, CEO Edward Stack worried that “it could have been” the case.

Following the decision to pull modern sporting rifles from Field & Stream stores, it was unclear what Dick’s would do with the weapons it held in inventory. Typically, a retailer like Dick’s can return unsold merchandise to the manufacturer for a refund or a credit.

Instead, Dick’s has decided to destroy the rifles at the company’s distribution centers and send the parts to a salvage company to be recycled, reports the Post-Gazette. The company did not say how many rifles would be destroyed.

In addition to its policy on AR-15 sales, Dick’s said in February it would stop selling high-capacity magazines or sell firearms to anyone under 21 years old. The company is facing two lawsuits over the additional age restriction.

http://dailycaller.com/2018/04...-will-destroy-ar15s/

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Ah...I see. Doubling down on the stupidity, this one is. [JSMH]

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Instead of returning them to their manufacturers, Dick’s will destroy its entire stock of unsold AR-15s, the company said Monday.
The company did not say how many rifles would be destroyed.

They probably already sold almost all of them but are making a big deal out of this...

More virtue signaling!
Roll Eyes

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24066 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
Bunch of idiots.

There's a Dick's 2 miles from my house. I was going to go there for all new fishing gear for trout season, but no fucking way now.

Same deal for my circle of fishing buddies, who also hunt and are into guns at varying levels. In the past, we'd run in to Dicks just because it was convenient, or to buy the kids gear for sports, etc...

That's done, they have no idea how much business they are losing. I used to go there for a quick gift idea, but that's done.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ethics, antics,
and ballistics
Picture of Dtech
posted Hide Post
I don't know about anywhere else, but I've never seen an AR of any kind in all the years that Dick's locations have been open down here and I've been to three of the five locations. I've never even seen anyone actually buying a gun, any kind of gun at the gun counter. This is the equivalent of the two boobs posting the cutting of the ARs on YouTube. Will have zero impact on anything other than their bottom line. Haven't been to any recently and certainly won't been patronizing them again, ever. Outdoor World / Bass Pro wipes the floor with them as far as inventory, store appearance, and pricing. If I happen to need something for team sports will go elsewhere or shop online.

As for all the companies trying to govern by financial restriction and virtue signalling, they can all go bankrupt. No one NEEDS sporting equipment and you can get credit cards and loans from plenty of alternative sources. I can guaranty that people are even willing to pay a little more to companies that are reasonable or even neutral on this and related issues, than spending a dime at any of the jerks trying to tell us how to spend our money or what to think.

-Dtech

"I've got a life to live, people to love, and a God to serve!" - sigmonkey

"Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value." - Albert Einstein

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition" ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 4413 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: April 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
If they're so evil that they need to destroy them, maybe we need a class action case against them for exposing us to them for as long as they did. Big Grin

Posts: 21097 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
Well said, Dtech:
As for all the companies trying to govern by financial restriction and virtue signalling, they can all go bankrupt.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24066 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
Hey, if they want to destroy them, that's fine. The manufacturers don't get them returned and can sell more new ones.

Posts: 3659 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dtech:
I don't know about anywhere else, but I've never seen an AR of any kind in all the years that Dick's locations have been open down here and I've been to three of the five locations. I've never even seen anyone actually buying a gun, any kind of gun at the gun counter. This is the equivalent of the two boobs posting the cutting of the ARs on YouTube. Will have zero impact on anything other than their bottom line. Haven't been to any recently and certainly won't been patronizing them again, ever. Outdoor World / Bass Pro wipes the floor with them as far as inventory, store appearance, and pricing. If I happen to need something for team sports will go elsewhere or shop online.

As for all the companies trying to govern by financial restriction and virtue signalling, they can all go bankrupt. No one NEEDS sporting equipment and you can get credit cards and loans from plenty of alternative sources. I can guaranty that people are even willing to pay a little more to companies that are reasonable or even neutral on this and related issues, than spending a dime at any of the jerks trying to tell us how to spend our money or what to think.

Dicks pulled ARs off the shelves after Sandy Hook if I recall correctly, and haven't carried them since. A couple of years ago a Field & Stream opened a mile from my house and I really liked the place (F&S is an affiliate which still carried ARs). F&S pulled them off the shelves after the Parkland school shooting, and haven't stocked them since. I quit shopping there as a result.

Posts: 2551 | Location: Troy, MI | Registered: October 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
Not that I shop there much any longer (I used to get sport jerseys for my wife years back) but I never saw one for sale in any case.

If they do currently have any in stock, i have no doubt they will take a tax loss on them...which should be disallowed.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
REI membership canceled.

Posts: 10911 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Is it fraud to destroy inventory and claim a loss on taxes? They should take a full loss for voluntarily destroying weapons to virtue signal. I fucking HATE that company.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21099 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have been an REI member since 1989.

Their website really doesn't have an option for canceling memberships, so I wrote an email, requesting membership cancellation and removal from all membership lists.

"Crom is strong! If I die, I have to go before him, and he will ask me, 'What is the riddle of steel?' If I don't know it, he will cast me out of Valhalla and laugh at me."

Posts: 6641 | Registered: September 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
Is it fraud to destroy inventory and claim a loss on taxes? They should take a full loss for voluntarily destroying weapons to virtue signal. I fucking HATE that company.

I can't see it being deductible anymore than purposely setting your building on fire and trying to claim a casualty or extraordinary loss. If I were a shareholder, I'd be pissed as well.

Posts: 10911 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Dick’s Sporting Goods no longer sells AR-15-style rifles at any of its stores, and soon its unsold inventory of the much-vilified firearms won’t be available anywhere else.Instead of returning them to their manufacturers, Dick’s will destroy its entire stock of unsold AR-15s, the company said Monday.

Do they really think this is GOOD publicity? Roll Eyes

Posts: 22898 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post