SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Dicks at Dick's will Stop Selling Assault-Type Rifles
Page 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 19
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dicks at Dick's will Stop Selling Assault-Type Rifles Login/Join 
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
I just read they are trying to pressure Amazon, Bass Pro, and Cabela's to stop dealing with Vista Outdoors as well. These people have no life.

Posts: 7934 | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
The Dick's here has never carried much in the way of guns. Their selection seems to have been all pellet/BB guns. Academy has been the big box store here with the most selection after Gander Mountain closed.

Posts: 8602 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
I was in Acadamy Sports today, lots of shot guns, pistols and EBRs for sale.

They were selling 3 or 4 guns and the 4473s were being done while I was window shopping.

Still no P365 to be seen, at any local gun store Mad I'ma thinking its a ghost gun...

So if you need sporting goods they seem to still be protwoa

Posts: 23238 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tuckerrnr1
posted Hide Post

Posts: 5720 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
so it looks like an Oregon man is taking them to task for it. I wonder if he has a point as it is clear age discrimination. Does he have a legal case?

Oregon 20 year old sues Dick's and Wallmart for age discrimination

A 20-year-old southern Oregon man filed suit Monday against Dick’s Sporting Goods and Walmart after he says both national retailers refused to sell him a rifle in recent days.

Tyler Watson's lawsuit could be the first of its kind in the U.S., according to his attorney, Max Whittington. Whittington knows of no others.

Watson claims he encountered age discrimination when he tried to buy a .22-caliber Ruger rifle on Feb. 24 in Medford at Field & Stream, which is owned by Dick's Sporting Goods.

That was four days before the retailer announced that it wouldn't sell guns to anyone under 21 in the wake of a 19-year-old gunman's rampage at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Florida that killed 17 people on Feb. 14.

Walmart made a similar nationwide announcement the same day as Dick's.

Watson, who lives in Gold Hill, isn't part of an organized movement against retailers that have tightened policies on gun sales, Whittington said.

“He was really just trying to buy a rifle,” the lawyer said. “He didn’t know about the policy when he went into" Field & Stream.

Watson on Saturday then went into the Grants Pass Walmart and again tried to buy a gun, according to his suit. He was told no, his suit states. It's not clear if Watson knew then of the restrictions.

Walmart spokesman Randy Hargrove told The Oregonian/OregonLive on Monday that the retailer will defend its new policy.

“In light of recent events, we reviewed our policy on firearm sales,” Hargrove said in an emailed statement. “As a result, we raised the age restriction for the purchase of firearms and ammunition to 21 years of age. We stand behind our decision and plan to defend it. While we haven’t seen the complaint, we will respond as appropriate with the court.”

Hargrove said he knows of no other lawsuit filed against Walmart over the new gun sale policy.

A representative from Dick’s didn’t immediately respond for a request for comment.

Oregon law allows residents to buy shotguns or rifles starting at age 18. Watson’s lawsuit says that Dick’s and Walmart’s policies violate Oregon statutes protecting residents against discrimination based on race, religion, sexual orientation or age, among other things. The law specifically says that the state can ban the sale of alcohol or marijuana to minors but doesn't mention guns.

Federal law bans firearms retailers from selling handguns, but not rifles or shotguns, to anyone under 21.

Whittington said his client owns a few guns already.

Watson is asking judges in Jackson and Josephine counties to force Dick’s and Walmart “to stop unlawfully discriminating against 18, 19, and 20 year-old customers at all Oregon locations.”

Watson also is asking for a yet-to-be-determined amount of punitive damages and his attorney’s fees to be paid.

Read Watson’s lawsuits here against Dick’s and Walmart.

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3574 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Resident Knuckledragger
Picture of IndyRob
posted Hide Post
I might be impressed if they stopped selling 5.56 ammunition. Until then, it's all empty gestures.

Posts: 7358 | Location: Greater Indianapolis Area | Registered: October 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If Dick's and WalMart can stop selling goods based on personal beliefs, why can't Christian bakers?

Posts: 1892 | Location: KY | Registered: April 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGSense:
If Dick's and WalMart can stop selling goods based on personal beliefs, why can't Christian bakers?

Although I disagree with being forced to bake a cake that goes against your beliefs and like the subject line, I think Dick's are Being Dicks, there is a difference here.

Dicks stopped selling to everyone, not just a particular group and that is their prerogative. And the Bakers could stop making say lemon cakes if they so choose, but no lemon goes for everyone not just gays.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
Kind of funny, but I'm receiving a ton of ads from Dicks, right along with Photobucket. I'd block them, but it makes me smile when I see them.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Overpriced soccer mom store...

Posts: 105 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 06, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW Big Grin

Reap the whirlwind, you DICKS!

Dick's Stock Tumbles To Conservatives' Delight

quote:

Two weeks after Dick's Sporting Goods infuriated Second Amendment supporters when the sporting goods retailer announced it would end sales of assault rifles, its stock is plunging and conservatives will hardly shed a tear.

In early trading, shares of Dick’s tumbled as much as 7.3% to just above $30.19, its biggest intraday decline since mid-November, slashing in half the 13% gain YTD.

Posts: 33601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Well, the progs are certainly adept at divide and conquer.

Posts: 15841 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW Big Grin

Reap the whirlwind, you DICKS!

Dick's Stock Tumbles To Conservatives' Delight

quote:

Two weeks after Dick's Sporting Goods infuriated Second Amendment supporters when the sporting goods retailer announced it would end sales of assault rifles, its stock is plunging and conservatives will hardly shed a tear.

In early trading, shares of Dick’s tumbled as much as 7.3% to just above $30.19, its biggest intraday decline since mid-November, slashing in half the 13% gain YTD.

The marketing department releases the corporate name change... "Limp Dick's"

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Merldizzle:
Overpriced soccer mom store...

Compared to Big-5 sure, but, overpriced and Dick's Sporting Goods are two words that don't go together.

Posts: 14571 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Occurs to me, that store has the appropriate name.

Posts: 13796 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
Dick’s Says Firearms Restrictions Turned Away Some Customers

Sporting-goods retailer reported higher quarterly profit, but said it expects heightened challenges this year
By Austen Hufford
March 13, 2018 1:30 p.m. ET

Dick’s Sporting Goods Inc. said its decision to no longer sell guns to anyone under 21 years old has hurt traffic and retail sales as the move upset some customers and exacerbated headwinds to its hunting and gun business.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 23942 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ya' think?

https://www.washingtonpost.com...m_term=.92584ebd913e

Dick’s Sporting Goods worries that sales could drop in wake of change in gun policy

By Rachel Siegel March 13 at 4:02 PM

When Dick’s Sporting Goods announced major changes to its firearm sales policies last month, the retailer was widely praised for taking action in the wake of the mass shooting at a Parkland, Fla., high school.

Two weeks later, Dick’s is worried sales could decline as a result.

During a conference call to discuss quarterly financial results Tuesday, Dick’s chief executive Edward W. Stack said it was too soon to fully grasp the effect of the retailer’s decision to stop selling military-style firearms and high-capacity magazines and limit sales to customers over the age of 21. But he was certain the impact on revenue would not be positive.

“Although the support has been overwhelmingly positive, there has been some negative pushback,” Stack said on the call with analysts and investors.

Stack noted that customers who buy firearms at Dick’s tend to buy other items as well, so the decision to stop selling one product had a wider effect.

“We knew that that was going to happen,” Stack said. “There were going to be people who just don’t shop us anymore for anything.”

The company says a sales decline in its hunting department could take a toll on its annual performance. Dick’s now projects same-store sales — a measure of sales at stores open at least one year — to remain flat, or fall, in 2018.

The announcement by Dick’s on Feb. 28 was spurred, in part, by the fact that the Parkland shooting suspect bought a shotgun from a Dick’s store in November. Even though that weapon was not the one used in the massacre that killed 17 people, Stack said at the time that “thoughts and prayers” were no longer enough.

“We did everything by the book, and we did everything that the law required, and he was still able to buy a gun,” Stack told “Good Morning America” host George Stephanopoulos.

Shortly after Dick’s changed its sales policies, Walmart and Kroger followed suit with new guidelines for the sale of firearms. The retailers joined a cascade of other companies that cut ties with the gun industry or the National Rifle Association after the Parkland shooting.

Lawrence Ring, a professor at the Raymond A. Mason School of Business at the College of William & Mary, cautioned against overestimating the effects of Dick’s new firearms policies on retail sales. Ring, who served on the board of the sporting goods superstore Sportmart in the late 1990s, said Dick’s is more likely to suffer from competition with Walmart, Bass Pro Shops or Amazon.com than from the consequences of its firearm policy change. (Amazon founder Jeffrey P. Bezos owns The Washington Post.)

“It’s really hard to show that [people] buy guns and buy basketballs,” Ring said. “Generally when people come to buy guns, they buy guns and bullets.”

Posts: 15898 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IndyRob:
I might be impressed if they stopped selling 5.56 ammunition. ...

It was well over 50, approaching 60¢ a round, anyway, the last time I looked (a couple of weeks ago).

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
crazy heart
Picture of mod29
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:
Ya' think?

https://www.washingtonpost.com...m_term=.92584ebd913e

Dick’s Sporting Goods worries that sales could drop in wake of change in gun policy

By Rachel Siegel March 13 at 4:02 PM

When Dick’s Sporting Goods announced major changes to its firearm sales policies last month, the retailer was widely praised for taking action in the wake of the mass shooting at a Parkland, Fla., high school.

Two weeks later, Dick’s is worried sales could decline as a result.

Attack the 2nd? Choke on it, assholes.
I hope the entire chain goes out of business.

Posts: 1779 | Location: WA | Registered: January 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NavyGuy:
quote:
Originally posted by SIGSense:

Although I disagree with being forced to bake a cake that goes against your beliefs and like the subject line, I think Dick's are Being Dicks, there is a difference here.

Dicks stopped selling to everyone, not just a particular group and that is their prerogative. And the Bakers could stop making say lemon cakes if they so choose, but no lemon goes for everyone not just gays.

It is the same principle, except that Dick's/WalMart are using age discrimination. How "can" I buy a rifle if you discriminate against me based on age? What if you refuse to sell it to me because of my race? Is that OK too? If they won't sell a gun to a person based on race or age, either they should not sell guns at all - to anyone, or we should declare all of these laws void as infringing on the seller's personal liberty to discriminate as they see fit.

Posts: 1892 | Location: KY | Registered: April 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post