SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Dicks at Dick's will Stop Selling Assault-Type Rifles
Page 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dicks at Dick's will Stop Selling Assault-Type Rifles Login/Join 
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
quote:
For almost a year, Dick’s has been working with Glover Park Group to lobby for gun reform.

"For almost a year, Dick’s has been working with Glover Park Group to lobby for gun reform."

This right here is enough to make me boycott Dick's, even if they hadn't gone anti-gun. Glover Park is run by Joe Lockhart, Clinton's last press secretary and a TDS nut. That whole firm is full of old Clintonistas. I used to work for a company where they were a customer. I had to be nice to them and they were nice people. But they are not the kind of people I would ever want a dime of my money supporting.

Posts: 3532 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ethics, antics,
and ballistics
Picture of Dtech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
TSA went out of business because they weren't cheap enough to complete with Big-5 but, got crushed by DSG because they barely lifted a finger to make their stores & merchandise appealing. There's only so much space in the market place for discounted/price-sensitive stores. DSG went after TSA over a 5-6 year period, the dominance signal was when DSG opened their soccer complex in Denver...which is HQ for TSA.

There were quite a few things wrong with how TSA approached and managed things over the years but part of it was TSA's strategy of how they tried to selectively support hunting/firearms departments depending on location. What made it even weirder was stores in the same metropolitan areas, at least in South and Central Florida, frequently carried different items, especially when it came to firearms and ammunition, with some having them and some not at all. It also seemed like their floorplans were not even remotely memorable or consistent either.

There was a time when TSA's pricing was actually quite competitive but mismanagement and others issues caused their downfall though the evidence was there for them to make changes.

The parody with Dick's is that in light of the mounting overwhelming evidence that some decisions they made were just plain wrong, they continued head-strong in the same direction which I think will end in the same result of a "slow motion train wreck". Having worked briefly for TSA in "HFC" (short for hunting, fishing, and camping department) when I was in college back in the day, I witnessed it first hand.

Ironically enough, I still have a 50 round box of Winchester .22LR that has a Sports Authority tag of $0.49 on it. Just keeping it as a memento of days gone by I guess. Wink

-Dtech

"I've got a life to live, people to love, and a God to serve!" - sigmonkey

"Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value." - Albert Einstein

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition" ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 4413 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: April 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://www.washingtonpost.com...ter-billion-dollars/

Dick’s Sporting Goods CEO says company destroyed $5 million worth of guns instead of returning them

By Rachel Siegel
October 8 at 1:29 PM

After 17 people were gunned down at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Fla., in 2018, Dick’s Sporting Goods chief executive Ed Stack said he was removing all military-style weapons from company stores.

Rather than return the inventory to manufacturers, Dick’s destroyed about $5 million worth of the weapons, turning them into scrap metal.

Stack has brought changing gun policies to the center of his role as chief executive. In the past year and a half, Dick’s has overhauled its gun sales policies, most recently pulling all guns out of 125 stores.

Dick’s hasn’t commented specifically on how those stores are performing. But speaking to The Washington Post on Tuesday, Stack said, “We’re happy we took [firearms] out of the 125.”

Even while the National Rifle Association, Republican lawmakers and critical customers have criticized Stack, he says the company’s entire firearms category is under “strategic review.” Dick’s has also opened new stores that don’t sell any firearms, Stack told The Post, bringing the total number of locations that don’t sell any firearms to roughly 200 out of about 730.

Part of that “strategic review” also included Dick’s’ recent sale of eight stores from its Field & Stream franchise, which specializes in fishing, outdoor and hunting gear. Those stores, located in Pennsylvania, New York, North Carolina and Michigan, were sold to Sportsman’s Warehouse.

[Dick’s Sporting Goods overhauled its gun policies after Parkland. The CEO didn’t stop there.]

Tuesday marks the release of Stack’s memoir, in which he tracks the company’s evolution from a modest regional chain to one of the biggest players in the $70 billion sporting goods market. Stack often turns to gun reform as a particularly urgent issue facing his company, corporate America and the nation. Last month, he joined 145 chief executives who pressed Senate leaders to expand background checks to all firearms sales and enact stronger “red flag” laws. Signatories to a letter included the heads of major retailers, tech firms and financial institutions, including Levi Strauss, Twitter and Bain Capital.

Earlier this year, the Democratic-majority House passed legislation that would require background checks on all gun transactions, including unlicensed sales arranged at gun shows or online. But similar efforts have stalled in the Senate.

Speaking to The Post, Stack criticized Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) for holding up further gun control legislation in Congress.

“I don’t know why he seems afraid to take it up," Stack said.

Immediately after the Parkland shooting, Stack raised the possibility of getting Dick’s out of the gun business altogether, The Post reported earlier this year. In his memoir, Stack describes days of internal debates about the financial risk of such a drastic move. Even if the sales margin on guns was not terribly strong at Dick’s, the company knew hunters bought not only guns but also hunting coats, boots, socks and other big-ticket items. Plus, hunting had been a mainstay of the chain’s business since the company’s earliest days.

“If we stopped selling guns altogether, we’d be punishing those customers, some of whom had been with us for sixty years—men and women who knew to treat firearms with respect and who used them for legitimate sport,” Stack wrote. “Did it make sense to needlessly alienate loyal Dick’s customers who bought shotguns and deer rifles, and were law-abiding and do-right citizens?”

Ultimately, Dick’s pulled all military-style weapons from its stores and banned high-capacity magazines and “bump stocks” that could effectively convert semiautomatic weapons into machine guns. Stack also announced Dick’s would not sell firearms to people younger than 21.

[145 CEOs implore Senate to act on gun violence, saying doing nothing is ‘simply unacceptable’]

But that strategy did not cushion the company entirely. The policy changes after Parkland cost the company about a quarter of a billion dollars in sales, Stack said. (The company has never disclosed what share of its sales come from gun sales alone.) For the fiscal year ending Feb. 2, 2019, same-store sales fell 3.1 percent, according to company earnings, with Stack blaming much of the slump on gun issues. Customers boycotted the company, and more than 60 employees quit.

But there is evidence of a turnaround. In August, Dick’s announced same store sales jumped 3.2 percent in the second quarter — its strongest showing since 2016 — and the company raised its full-year guidance.

Some of the company’s critics charge that Stack and Dick’s oppose Second Amendment rights, or that limiting sales of military-style weapons means all weapons will eventually be banned. The NRA on Monday tweeted a Breitbart article about Dick’s destroying its unsold military-style rifles “to keep them out of private hands.”

Democratic presidential candidate and former congressman Beto O’Rourke (D-Tex.) — who advocates for a ban on assault weapons and a mandatory buyback — responded. “Dick’s Sporting Goods is doing more to keep Americans safe from assault weapons than Congress,” he tweeted.

America’s largest retailers have drawn particular scrutiny for their gun policies. After 24 people were killed in shootings at Walmart stores this summer, the company announced it would stop selling ammunition for military-style weapons and no longer allow customers to openly carry firearms in stores. Other retailers also changed their open-carry policies, including Kroger, CVS and Walgreens.

Lawmakers may be stalled on major gun legislation, but there is broad public support for change. A recent Washington Post-ABC News poll found Americans across party and demographic lines overwhelmingly support expanded background checks for gun buyers and allowing law enforcement to temporarily seize weapons from troubled individuals. The poll found 86 percent of Americans support implementing “red flag” provisions that allow guns to be taken from people judged to be a danger to themselves or others. In addition, 89 percent support expanding federal background checks to cover private sales and gun show transactions.

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jprebb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:

Dick’s Sporting Goods CEO says company destroyed $5 million worth of guns instead of returning them

How socially responsible of them. Roll Eyes

JP

Posts: 2048 | Location: Maryland | Registered: April 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Supply & Demand: How does it work?

Bill Gullette

Posts: 1527 | Location: Behind the Pine Curtain  | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:

While tragic for the firearms sake it that is just a pure irresponsible act to it's shareholders.
Even so that won't even make the slightest dent in firearms.
Nobody buys from them much anyway in this category.
Just another leftist at a company out of control.

Posts: 22904 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jprebb:
quote:

How socially responsible of them. Roll Eyes

JP

I have a hard time believing they were destroyed.
I’d like to see the destruction documents.
Is this something they would have to report to the ATF?

If they were actually destroyed I wonder if Benchmade assisted them.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25420 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
"Let's light $5MM of our shareholders' money on fire to prove how woke we are."

Brilliant strategy.

Posts: 6063 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cjevans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:

I’d like to see the destruction documents.
Is this something they would have to report to the ATF?

If they were actually destroyed I wonder if Benchmade assisted them.[/QUOTE]

I too would like to see the public dissemination of said documentation, videos ...

And the firearm removed from the NFA listing.

Certainly, the ATF have rules, regulations and instructions on how to properly destroy a firearm.

Firearm destruction

I doubt for a single minute, that Dick's are out of pocket. More likely that Dick's made an insurance claim for the destruction of said inventory?

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~ Benjamin Franklin.

"If anyone in this country doesn't minimise their tax, they want their head read, because as a government, you are not spending it that well, that we should be donating extra...:
Kerry Packer

SIGForum: the island of reality in an ocean of diarrhoea.

Posts: 1886 | Location: Altona Beach | Registered: February 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:

That thought crossed my mind. If the CEO is stupid enough to take that kind of action, he is also likely incapable of distinguishing truth for LIES. But then again, he has shown large scale dishonesty to the public before.

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Nice little flow chart but what sort of paperwork/documentation is done?
Do they not have to enter them into some sort of log book being FFLs?

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25420 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:

"We promise we destroyed them and they weren't sold south of the border", should be good enough, right?

Posts: 7355 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Or would the ATF have to be involved? Or at a minimum, a local Law Enforcement Office? I dunno...

I think Dick's is definitely stepping on their [ahem] dick, here. $5,000,000 in AR-15's is NOTHING. If you consider an average cost of say $650, that's a little under 7,700 units. I'd imagine those 7,700 units could be purchased nation wide through MANY other vendors in as little as 24 hours...that would be 320 sold/hour. I don't think Dick's did ANYTHING but virtue signal and WASTE $5,000,000 of income to their stockholders. Fiduciary Responsibility? Yeah...not so much.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Why doesn't Dick's show how virtuous they are and order another $5M in inventory, destroy it and claim lives being saved again and again?

P229

Posts: 3825 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bald Headed Squirrel Hunter
Picture of Angus the Kid
posted Hide Post
Dick may run for President

"Meet the new boss, same as the old boss"

Posts: 6141 | Location: In the tent, in Houston, in Texas | Registered: October 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nojoy
posted Hide Post
(Stack has taken on a higher media profile in recent weeks, coinciding with the release of a new book, titled “It’s How We Play the Game.”)

We will see if he actually runs for President on a third party certificate. Either way, he’s promoting his new release.

https://www.amazon.com/Its-How...?tag=bisafetynet2-20

Posts: 1292 | Location: Marysville, WA 98271 | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:

you dispose them in your books (Bound Book, sometimes called A&D book) by serial number

smart dealers keep the parts on hand and show them to the ATF inspector during the next inspection,, then toss

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10420 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:

I hope he does.
He wouldn't pull much away from Donald Trump.
But he would hurt the Dems, as far left as their field has gone.
Has Hillary called him a Russian agent yet?

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24108 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only dead fish
go with the flow
Picture of pessimist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Angus the Kid:

Democrats will never allow it because 1) he'll potentially steal more votes from those on the left (not that they have a prayer anyway) and 2) they won't tolerate someone outside of their control. They'll smear him and destroy his reputation if he makes any serious moves.

Posts: 1517 | Registered: March 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ed Stack, the CEO of Dick’s Sporting Goods and a longtime Republican donor, is testing the waters for a possible third-party presidential bid that could scramble the dynamics of the 2020 general election.

quote:
Democrats will never allow it because...

What control do Democrats have over someone who wants to run as an independent or third-party?
None.
The Democrats control only their own party.
Sure, there are ballot access challenges in each State, but the Democrats have no control over someone running outside of the Democrat party.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24108 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post