SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Dicks at Dick's will Stop Selling Assault-Type Rifles
Page 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 19
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dicks at Dick's will Stop Selling Assault-Type Rifles Login/Join 
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
There is really no reason for them to make a political statement. Certainly not one which would be perceived to be quite inflammatory in deciding to destroy the guns as if they were bad or something needing to be punished. Online retailers must love the fact that Dicks made a voluntary move which resulted in people deciding to never again patronize what can only be called a very stupid company.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21100 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
bendable,

I tried about two and a half years ago to buy a rifle there. To say they were disinterested is an understatement.

I pretty much gave up on them before Parkland for ammo purchases. No .22's or .17HMR's together with higher than local average on center fire pistol ammo.

Field and Stream was not too impressive either. They were even higher priced than Dick's.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8099 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What's important to note here is that Dick's is back in the news this week as a result of an atrocious earnings report and a consequent tanking of its stock price directly related to their admission of fallout from their gun-related political stance. They were a shitty gun retailer and it was never a huge part of their business, but their choice to become gun control activists has back fired on them and had serious financial consequences, which makes me personally ecstatic.

In my household, we no longer spend money at Dick's. In fact, we go out of our way to cost them money, by having the kids try on shoes at the local store and then purchasing online from another retailer.

Posts: 2479 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
They were a shitty gun retailer and it was never a huge part of their business, but their choice to become gun control activists has back fired on them and had serious financial consequences, which makes me personally ecstatic.

That's right. You sum it up well.
I didn't buy guns from them, because they were a shitty gun retailer. But now I won't buy anything else from them either. They could have just quietly stopped selling guns, because they weren't very good at it, but they decided to become activists. Assholes.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24067 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I read that article last night and it warmed my heart to see them hurting

I hope the hurt gets worse

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53165 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
Dick’s Sporting Goods May Close Field & Stream After Gun Control Policy Hurt Business

https://legalinsurrection.com/...olicy-hurt-business/

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."

-rduckwor

Posts: 24067 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted Hide Post
In their quest to be more PC, I wonder if they were to change their name from "Dicks" to "Penises" if that would help at all?

Posts: 4850 | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sig sailor
posted Hide Post
I can remember when a business worried about things like customer service and making a profit, and otherwise minded there own business. Man, I am getting old!
Rod

"Do not approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction." John Deacon, Author

I asked myself if I was crazy, and we all said no.

Posts: 1679 | Location: Between Rock & Hard Place (Pontiac & Detroit) | Registered: December 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmanic:
In their quest to be more PC, I wonder if they were to change their name from "Dicks" to "Penises" if that would help at all?

should change it to Pussies and be done with it.

Posts: 1804 | Location: Austin TX | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sig sailor
posted Hide Post
Sigmanic, I have long thought that Dicks should changes their name to Pussies.
Rod

"Do not approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction." John Deacon, Author

Posts: 1679 | Location: Between Rock & Hard Place (Pontiac & Detroit) | Registered: December 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sig sailor
posted Hide Post
saigonsmuggler, beat me by this much. Smile
Rod

posted Hide Post
Dick's Sporting Goods continues to dig their own hole with gun owners as CEO Ed Stack doubles-down.

1 year later, Dick's Sporting Goods CEO Ed Stack still takes a tough stance on guns
quote:
It's been roughly one year since Dick's Sporting Goods CEO Ed Stack took a controversial stance on guns, pulling high-capacity magazines from stores and halting the sale of firearms to anyone under 21 years old. Dick's Sporting Goods' decision marked one of the strongest stances taken by corporate America in the national gun debate. Retailers like Walmart and Kroger later followed.

On Monday, traveling to New York to accept the Committee Encouraging Corporate Philanthropy's "Force for Good Award," Stack says he doesn't think twice about the move. "We talk about it internally and I often say: If we had a mulligan, we'd do it all over again," he said.

In fact, Stack is doing even more to get behind his company's efforts last year. He, along with a handful of other CEOs, on Monday signed onto a letter sent to Congress in support of the HR8 background check bill. Background checks are something "both sides of the aisle can get behind it," Stack said.

He's also recently joined Everytown Business Leaders for Gun Safety, arguing for gun safety across the U.S. And Dick's Sporting Goods continues to invest in Sports Matter, a business it created to fund youth sports teams.

"To be successful, [brands] have to be interesting and they have to be interested," Stack said. "I think we're both. ... We're interested in the well being of our kids."

Still, Dick's Sporting Goods' sales took a hit because of the controversial decision to pull guns from stores. The retailer is now calling for sales at stores open for at least 12 months to be down between 3 percent and 4 percent in 2018, largely because of weakness in the hunting category. That's compared with a drop of 0.3 percent in 2017. The company has said that negative impact is expected to lessen as time passes.

Since its decision last February, which came after a 19-year-old shooter killed 17 students at Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida, Dick's Sporting Goods has begun testing the removal of all hunting products from 10 stores. It has replaced those items with higher-margin merchandise, like baseball gear and kayaks. It brought in a simulator for kids to try out baseball bats, for example.

And though Stack wouldn't comment Monday on how that trial was going — he said the company plans to share more details when fourth-quarter earnings are released on March 12 — it's possible Dick's Sporting Goods takes this approach at more locations.

In many ways, Stack said he's putting all the noise of 2018 — and the backlash from angry consumers — "in the rear-view mirror" and is focusing in on some of Dick's Sporting Goods' other initiatives. The retailer is trying to boost its e-commerce sales, open two new fulfillment centers and grow its footwear sales — a category he said has been improving thanks to product innovation from Nike and Adidas.

Despite others' concerns, Stack also said he hasn't noticed signs of consumers pulling back on spending due to a fear of a recession looming.

"We're not really worried about that right now," he said.

Dick's Sporting Goods shares are up more than 20 percent so far this year.

Posts: 14634 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
Dick's Sporting Goods, Inc. (DKS)
34.95 (-3.94 or -10.13%)
... getting smoked! Big Grin

Dick’s will remove hunting rifles from 125 stores

Shares of Dick’s Sporting Goods beat Wall Street expectations on its top and bottom lines in its 2018 Q4 earnings report on Tuesday, but shares sank more than 10% on a decline in same-store-sales and disappointing guidance for 2019.

And Dick’s is ditching two key parties in 2019: hunting and Reebok.

Removing hunting items in 125 stores

Last year, Dick’s removed hunting items from 10 stores where it underperformed. After the removal, those stores generated positive comp sales in Q4. “Following this success,” Dick’s CEO Ed Stack said on the Q4 earnings call, “we will remove Hunt from approximately 125 additional Dick's stores in 2019 where the category underperforms.”

Dick’s defines the hunting category as rifles and ammunition, plus “accessories associated with firearms, hunting apparel, anything associated with hunting,” Dick’s president Lauren Hobart clarified later on the call. “It would not include kayaks and other outdoor activities like that.”

Dick’s entered the national political conversation one year ago when it stopped selling assault-style rifles in all 35 of its Field & Stream stores following the school shooting in Parkland, Fla. It also immediately raised the minimum age to 21 for anyone buying guns in its stores.

Dick’s has seen same-store-sales declines since then, and some have blamed that on politics, but Dick’s stock is up 10% since that move, and up 12% in 2019 so far.

On Tuesday’s call, Dick’s signaled that the Field & Stream brand may soon go away. “We're not sure exactly what we're going to do with it,” said Stack. “We're not opening any new Field & Stream stores. And right now, on a formal basis they're cash flow positive and they're not a drain on the company.”

https://finance.yahoo.com/news...tores-170829124.html

-rduckwor

posted Hide Post
Dicks are bigger Dicks than you think. The most knowlegeable sales person at my local gun store used to be a manager at Dicks when they made the big AR decision. He said that they were pretty big into Daniel Defense at the time and could even special order rifles for customers.

The management team told him that they were cancelling all of the Daniel Defense orders and that company policy was that their 20% deposit was NON-REFUNDABLE!! He told him that was wrong, they told him it was company policy. So he QUIT on the Spot!

Good for him, he's at a much better store now anyway. But it's almost hard to believe that they actually wanted to steal 20% of a purchase because of a stupid decision THEY made.

I hope they go out of business. I haven't set foot in one since and I had bought guns there before their idiot decision.......

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Hunting is sooo evil! Roll Eyes

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38646 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
plus “accessories associated with firearms, hunting apparel, anything associated with hunting,”
I think this is going to hurt them in Texas and likely other areas in the South. The Dick's near me is by a bunch of restaurants and I see a lot of people going in there especially during the lead up to deer hunting season. Lots of hunters don't know or don't care about Dick's anti-2A stance, but now their hunting dollars won't go there. It's an affluent area and not many people hunt in blue jeans and an orange vest so the money they'll inevitably spend money on hunting apparel will go to Academy Sports.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23220 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sig sailor:
saigonsmuggler, beat me by this much. Smile
Rod

By a cu.... I mean, yeah, "this much".

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43867 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
Fuuuuck them.

I passed a Field and Stream store a few weeks back decided to go in and get some ammo(never before being in one and not knowing they were owned by Dick’s).

I just wanted cheap ammo and some mags for the AR, the most reasonable priced stuff (cheap) was there, but it took a ton of searching because they buried it randomly through their other stuff.

The most annoying thing was, when I went to look for mags for the ammo they sell, there was none! I asked the gun guy and he rolled his eyes and explained, he was nice enough to send me over to a local gun shop that had what I needed at a decent price.

Never going back there, or Dick’s for that matter. Whenever I NEED something ASAP, fishing or hunting gear, I will go to Dick’s, since there’s one right down the road, but I’ll return that shit as soon as I’m done with it...like last year’s fishing waders. Smile

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 6guns:

I think that's what bothers me the most. If guns are so bad, why did you sell them for all those years? That puts them on the same level as drug dealers.

Posts: 21097 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
quote:
Originally posted by 6guns:

I think that's what bothers me the most. If guns are so bad, why did you sell them for all those years? That puts them on the same level as drug dealers.
Because they're suddenly "woke". Roll Eyes

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6211 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post