SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Let's talk rubber mallets...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Let's talk rubber mallets... Login/Join 
Picture of Pyker
posted
Any of them better than another? Weights? Handles?

I have a cheap one which I think is 8oz with a wooden handle, but I'm sure there must be the Rolls Royce among mallets out there. What do you like?

(I have a fairly good one for working on my guns, but it's not big enough for general waling on big stuff)

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
For guns, you don't want a rubber hammer, you want a dense dual plastic heads hammer. For your garage, you don't want a plain jane rubber hammer, you want a rubber dead blow hammer. Same thing but better quality and won't bounce as much on the work you're hammering on. Check out Trusty Cook brand hammers.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8657 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shiftyvtec
posted Hide Post
Nupla is, or was a good USA made option. Trusty Cook are definitely a good option as well.

Posts: 1568 | Location: Near Austin, TX | Registered: December 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
The famed (for good reason) ShooBoy hammers come with interchangeable steel, brass, and phenolic plastic heads, the latter is probably what you want. Find user shooboy in the Classifieds and order with confidence.

Posts: 6459 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wrightd:
For guns, you don't want a rubber hammer, you want a dense dual plastic heads hammer.

That's what I have. I'm after one for more general 'heavier' use

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Vaughan still makes a great assortment of mallets and non marring hammers. Even beautiful rawhide mallets. I used to be so proud of them in my machinist boxes.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
Thanks folks!

Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pyker:
quote:
Originally posted by wrightd:
For guns, you don't want a rubber hammer, you want a dense dual plastic heads hammer.

That's what I have. I'm after one for more general 'heavier' use

Second Shooboy for guns.
For general use (driving temporary posts for electric netting for instance), we have some plastic deadblow hammers that the home despot used to carry. Think three pound sledge, but plastic, and the head is filled with some sort of shot. No bounce (or at least a whole lot less) is right.

Posts: 6916 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I made it so far,
now I'll go for more
Picture of rbert0005
posted Hide Post
I have used Lixie hammers for decades. All sizes and interchangeable heads of different densities.

First class stuff!

Bob

I am no expert, but think I am sometimes.

Posts: 4580 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Wow. SigForum has hammer experts...

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12768 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

German made Halder hammers (sold at KC German Tool Company) offer a line of "simplex" hammers with interchangeable inserts, from soft to hard rubber, hard plastic, harder nylon, aluminum, brass, and copper. I currently have two, one set up with soft and hard rubber, the other with nylon and copper, plus a couple of spare inserts in other materials for changing things around.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: henryaz,

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10784 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rbert0005:
I have used Lixie hammers for decades. All sizes and interchangeable heads of different densities.

First class stuff!

Bob

From a retired industrial maintenance mechanic with 40+ years of experience, Agree, Lixie is the soft blow to rule all soft blow hammers.

The “POLICE"
Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith

Posts: 2888 | Location: See der Rabbits, Iowa | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
I have been using an Estwing 45 oz, and a 24 oz, for assembling woodworking projects and really like them. Lowes

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a 1950's rubber mallet as well as a leather mallet from the same time period. I use both of them a lot.

"All warfare is based on deception" Sun Tzu, The art of War

Posts: 552 | Location: Gulf Coast of SW Florida | Registered: August 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:

And any type of other experts...this is an amazing forum!

Posts: 13678 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Warhorse:
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:

And any type of other experts...this is an amazing forum!

100% Agreed!!

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post