SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Does anyone know what the knife laws are in Ireland?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Does anyone know what the knife laws are in Ireland? Login/Join 
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted
I am traveling to Ireland the first week in May for work. Does anyone KNOW what the knife laws are for US Citizens there?

CLARIFICATION: I am a "Southern Man". I'm not talking about carrying a knife for protection. I'm talking about carrying a knife because I've carried one since I was 6 years old and don't feel dressed without one.

Thanks,

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Rolan_Kraps,

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of btgoanna
posted Hide Post
http://www.irishstatutebook.ie...nacted/en/print#sec9

9.—(1) Subject to subsections (2) and (3), where a person has with him in any public place any knife or any other article which has a blade or which is sharply pointed, he shall be guilty of an offence.
(2) It shall be a defence for a person charged with an offence under subsection (1) to prove that he had good reason or lawful authority for having the article with him in a public place.
(3) Without prejudice to the generality of subsection (2), it shall be a defence for a person charged with an offence under subsection (1) to prove that he had the article with him for use at work or for a recreational purpose.

Posts: 832 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: November 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Law #1. Never carry fists to a knife fight! Big Grin

It is a fairly safe place rowlan have friends who go there frequently. If you get a chance hit up the guiness plant. Tastes different than here.

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
I'm going for work. Flying into Cork, and then traveling down to Clonakilty.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I recommend a nice black thorn walking stick for your aging knees. Beware, however, some Irishmen know how to use them.

Posts: 17135 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Villebilly Deluxe
posted Hide Post
I've been to Ireland many times and have never felt threatened in any way. There are some rough parts of Dublin, Belfast and Limerick. In general,street crime is low and no one in the Middle East is mad at Ireland so terrorism threat is also fairly low. I usually carry a Swiss Army Trekker non serrated blade. Never had an issue. E-mail me with any questions on off the beaten path places to see. Enjoy your trip.

Posts: 393 | Location: Bluegrass State | Registered: February 09, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
Walk softly and carry a shilleagh.

Posts: 2422 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Villebilly Deluxe
posted Hide Post
Beamish is the local beer, sweeter than Guiness. I love West Cork, Clonakilty in particular. Michael Collins' old stomping grounds. The black pudding is a real treat in this part of Ireland.

Posts: 393 | Location: Bluegrass State | Registered: February 09, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by msfzoe:
Walk softly and carry a shilleagh.

^^^^^^^^
I would simply add make sure its a loaded Shillelagh. If you are going to be near County Wicklow, go by Olde Shillelagh. http://www.oldeshillelagh.com/ I know a local judge who has one of their loaded cudgels as his gavel in court.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BB61,

Posts: 12458 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have been to Ireland many times and never thought that I would need something for protection. I'm not sure about the laws in Ireland but the UK has some pretty stringent laws about knives.
Cork is a great city with lots to do and a very vibrant nightlife. I have never felt at all threatened there even walking the streets late at night. Dublin of course has some serious drug problems and there are many "homeless" on the streets there so I am always a little more on guard but obviously you should be in any large city.
Relax and have fun and it's true the Guinness is way better there!

"Momma say's the pistol is the Devil's right hand."

Posts: 694 | Location: Ontario | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paddy314:
Beamish is the local beer, sweeter than Guiness. I love West Cork, Clonakilty in particular. Michael Collins' old stomping grounds. The black pudding is a real treat in this part of Ireland.

This! Cork is a great town and don't drink the Beemish Irish Stout, it will ruin you for all other stouts and it is no longer exported so you won't be able to get it anywhere else.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3846 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
I'm afraid to go to Ireland...only because I'm quite certain I may never want to come back.

Everyone I know that has been has said the same.

Enjoy your trip.

Posts: 11360 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post