SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Volvo Ocean Race Leg 3: Capetown to Melbourne Highlights
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Volvo Ocean Race Leg 3: Capetown to Melbourne Highlights Login/Join 
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
quote:
When I was a teen I used to single hand small boats and drove them that hard until I broke the centerboard in our Thistle. I backed off after that.

I'm not a sailor, but my late father-in-law sailed a Thistle; my wife used to crew for him when she was a teenager.

Posts: 18068 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Leg 3 Capetown to Melbourne had some amazing happenings.

A knockdown of the Volvo 65 Turn The Tide On Plastic.

Team AzkoNobel ripped the mainsail track off the mast. It took several tries, but they managed to fix it with what they had onboard. Hats off to them.

The fleet left Melbourne on the long 5,600 mile leg to Hong Kong.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31443 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
While watching the first video, I didn't understand why the boat was heeling so much with the sails sheeted in tight if the were heading downwind. Then the woman started talking and explained it was an accidental gybe, the port ballast tanks were full, the keel was canted to port, and the crew was port, and the video starts after the gybe happened and they had already gotten the main under control. Fun stuff not at all on my bucket list.

Posts: 10943 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post