SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Volvo Ocean Race Leg 3: Capetown to Melbourne Highlights
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Volvo Ocean Race Leg 3: Capetown to Melbourne Highlights Login/Join 
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted
I follow the Volvo Ocean Race. Currently, they are on Leg 2: Lisbon to Capetown.

The video below is of Scallywag, a 100' super maxi race yacht (monohull) out of Hong Kong. In it, you see a 100' boat come about as close to capsizing as you can get. The image looks like they are doing 20-25 knots in 10 foot swells.

When I was a teen I used to single hand small boats and drove them that hard until I broke the centerboard in our Thistle. I backed off after that.

ETA: Scallywag heeled to 54 degrees.

Leg 2 start.

That is hard sailing.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Sig2340,

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31436 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
That is incredible. Thanks for sharing.

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9154 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you for posting this. Amazing boat speeds now days, it’s hard to believe how fast their mid ocean speeds are.

JAMES 3:1
USPSA life member

Posts: 270 | Location: Indian River Shores, Florida | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of valkyrie1
posted Hide Post
Those things are hauling butt,wow

Posts: 2306 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(K,Na)(Fe+++,Al,Mg)2
(Si,Al)4 O10(OH)2
Picture of Munch
posted Hide Post
I follow the VOR as well and have been to the Boston and the Newport stop overs. That was a great start to leg 2 yesterday. I watched it on the VOR app. They do a great job making it accessible to people.

Are you planning on going to Newport for the stop over?

Posts: 859 | Location: north central Ohio | Registered: December 19, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Enjoy Computer Living
Picture of LoungeChair
posted Hide Post
Wow!
What are those boats like in heavy seas?

-Loungechair

Posts: 674 | Registered: October 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LoungeChair:
Wow!
What are those boats like in heavy seas?

Wet.

Inside and out.

These boats provide spartan accommodations for the crew. About what a second century galley slave got. Everything absolutely necessary is onboard, and of the lightest weight practicable, so the crew doesn't get anything not needed to row well, and live.

Nice is overrated

Posts: 31436 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
It looks like the hull is actually on plane on the water. Are they designed to do that?

Aside from that, I don't see any fun for those crews. Looks like brutally hard wet work.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20321 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Ocean going dinghies!

It's like a 505 on steroids.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12776 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:
Ocean going dinghies!

It's like a 505 on steroids.

Yep, 100 foot Lasers! What a ride! Skipper won't stay dry ducking behind crew on those rigs.

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3762 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
The Volvo museum in Göthenburg has a large exhibit with a racing yacht and all sorts of related items. I didn't even know Volvo was involved in such a race until I visited their museum. Those boats are pretty cool.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21105 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
I had the opportunity to compete in several ocean races against some of the super maxi's at the time ( The series was known as the Whitbread at the time) in our relatively small one ton a few decades ago. The speed of those boats were phenomenal and pales in comparison to the maxi's now...

Interestingly, as noted above absolutely anything that was not crucial to the performance of the boat was left off...including the head... we had a setup that allowed us to strap in and hang our asses off the stern and do our business. As you can imagine you tried to time your business when the weather was a little calmer but that wasn't always possible!

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6316 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rduckwor:
It looks like the hull is actually on plane on the water. Are they designed to do that?

Aside from that, I don't see any fun for those crews. Looks like brutally hard wet work.

RMD

Yes, they are planing and they are designed to do it. There's some really amazing designs with keels that come up out of the water completely to reduce drag and foils on the leeward side of the boat that provide the lift the keel did to allow the boat to sail upwind.

Posts: 10938 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Didn't they say the boat was running 30 knots and the winds were 20 - 25knots? How can they run FASTER than the wind? Just thinking about that makes my head hurt... Is it because they're not running directly with the wind, but rather quartering across it?

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
--Adam Savage, MythBusters

Posts: 1748 | Location: Red Wing, MN | Registered: January 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Yes. Quartering across the wind which is a point of sail called a reach allows the boat to exceed wind speed. Sails work as wings to generate lift which is the energy that moves the boat.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12776 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sreding:
Didn't they say the boat was running 30 knots and the winds were 20 - 25knots? How can they run FASTER than the wind? Just thinking about that makes my head hurt... Is it because they're not running directly with the wind, but rather quartering across it?

The short answer is yes. On a reach (where. The wind is perpendicular to you) you can indeed sail faster than the wind..
If you want to see crazy fast sailing Google Americas Cup Racing...that is truly insane!

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6316 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smlsig:
quote:

The short answer is yes. On a reach (where. The wind is perpendicular to you) you can indeed sail faster than the wind..
If you want to see crazy fast sailing Google Americas Cup Racing...that is truly insane!

But those aren't real boats any more.

Multi-hull hydrofoils... They are basically low flying aircraft. Bleh.

Give me a gaff-rigged topsail schooner.

Nice is overrated

The Constable
posted Hide Post
Very interesting. Thanks for posting.

I got half seasick just watching the videos.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:
quote:
Originally posted by smlsig:
quote:

But those aren't real boats any more.

Multi-hull hydrofoils... They are basically low flying aircraft. Bleh.

Give me a gaff-rigged topsail schooner.

Besides being hydrofoils, they also use a rigid carbon fiber wing as their main sail instead of a piece of fabric.

They do make impressive speed though, they sometimes hit 40+ knots in 20 knot winds.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
If you wonder about the difference between displacement yachts and the modern multi-hull hydrofoils, watch this video.

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/dBKcSIK4dBU

Nice is overrated