SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Any LinkedIn users here?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any LinkedIn users here? Login/Join 
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
As a Recruiter I spend a ton of time there. Mostly stalking passive candidates.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8849 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by myrottiety:
As a Recruiter I spend a ton of time there. Mostly stalking passive candidates.

I have a question for you then.

As a recruiter, do you tend to look at a person's written recommendations?

I recently realized I was lacking them, and have been on a kick of trying to get as many as I can now.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
As a recruiter, do you tend to look at a person's written recommendations?

My wife is a recruiter and she happens to be sitting next to me as I type this. Her response:

"Nope. Tell him the best thing he can do is have an up to date profile and if he is actively looking, be sure he has his "I'm looking" flag turned on under "jobs".

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12325 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
Nice! Thanks Ronin and Mrs Ronin.

Btw, if she knows of any pharma/medical device sales jobs in the Phila/NJ area. Let me know Big Grin

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
Easy, free.

I only use it for work, so don't try to "linked in" with me from SIG Forum.

I've received some great business leads on it.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RAMIUS:
Nice! Thanks Ronin and Mrs Ronin.

Btw, if she knows of any pharma/medical device sales jobs in the Phila/NJ area. Let me know Big Grin

Philadelphia is TEVA country. Give them a shot (haha).

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
LinkedIn is big in some industries. When the blog wrote a Bradford White story, the article went heavy through their LinkedIn networking (They do not do Facebook).

A friend on the local paper "publishes" on LinkedIn and people follow his news feeds. My sister had probably 1000+ contacts last time I looked; she's in marketing.

So in a way it is also a gigantic address/messaging service as well as a networking device to put you in touch with headhunters and prospective employers.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
My career counselor at school has recommended I use LinkedIn more in order to build a network. I just wanted to see what advice the wife group of Sig Forum had.

Thank you for the responses.

Please keep them coming.

Posts: 13108 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I suppose that if you need a job, and you are willing to receive a constant string of emails, it serves a purpose.
For me, it was like a virus on my computer. I never even actually signed up, i got referred by a contact. Then they wanted me to sign up just so i could unsubscribe!
I ended up having to make a couple nasty phone calls to their home offices just to get off their lists.

"Crom is strong! If I die, I have to go before him, and he will ask me, 'What is the riddle of steel?' If I don't know it, he will cast me out of Valhalla and laugh at me."

Posts: 6641 | Registered: September 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
My career counselor at school has recommended I use LinkedIn more in order to build a network. I just wanted to see what advice the wife group of Sig Forum had.

Thank you for the responses.

Please keep them coming.

Edmund,

Check your e-mail. I sent you a link to my account; connect with me and I'll help you however I can.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12325 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Copefree:
It’s a GREAT way to network.

My current job came from LinkedIn ... out of nowhere. I was contacted by a recruiter for a role that I absolutely couldn’t say no to. Life changing.

I still get messages pretty often on there from recruiters and it’s a great way to stay in touch with old colleagues as well.

I’m not “active” on there, but it’s nice to have. I highly recommend it. What’s to lose?

I’m not sure what industry you’re in but it’s also a nice way to have a professional profile. I’m in technology and a lot of times colleagues / other employees will reference your LinkedIn just to learn a little bit about you. Happens all the time.

Pretty much this. If you are in a specific line of work, expect to be recruited. My line has a person reaching out to me once a month with a real job. I have been flown to Boston and San Francisco on job interviews I never applied to as a result of recruiters on linkedin.

Posts: 8711 | Registered: January 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
I have an acquaintance that I talk to maybe once a year. I get a couple invites a year from LinkedIn saying he is requesting I join... I have no idea what for, we are both retired.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4128 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
I joined LinkedIn when I was let go from my job in 2009. I find it a useful tool, to follow others in my industry, as well as companies within my industry.

When I was thinking of joining, people told me it was like FB for the professional world.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36840 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It’s useful for keeping track of your business network, and job searches (hiring or looking). It’s a good place for an online resume, or to expand on a physical resume.

I thought about redoing mine in haiku, as a recruiter filter. If you still like it after that, and have a wheelbarrow of cash, we can talk. Wink

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2363 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post