SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Any LinkedIn users here?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any LinkedIn users here? Login/Join 
I Am The Walrus
posted
If so, how do you like it?

Is it a good way to network?

Is paying for Premium worth it?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Edmond,

Posts: 13047 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted Hide Post
It’s a GREAT way to network.

My current job came from LinkedIn ... out of nowhere. I was contacted by a recruiter for a role that I absolutely couldn’t say no to. Life changing.

I still get messages pretty often on there from recruiters and it’s a great way to stay in touch with old colleagues as well.

I’m not “active” on there, but it’s nice to have. I highly recommend it. What’s to lose?

I’m not sure what industry you’re in but it’s also a nice way to have a professional profile. I’m in technology and a lot of times colleagues / other employees will reference your LinkedIn just to learn a little bit about you. Happens all the time.

Posts: 5070 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
If you're an office professional, you're sort of expected to have a LinkedIn profile.

If you're actively looking, there's a premium feature you pay for to get higher visibility to recruiters and other job seeking help.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19588 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Take the risk or
lose the chance
posted Hide Post
The price is right and the opportunities are limitless. No real downside that I've discovered after 12-15 years. We scan it for new hires above a certain level of responsibility.

----------------------------------------
“The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”

Posts: 1475 | Location: RR12 | Registered: February 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I'm an inactive member. I joined because my best friend wanted me to. I'm 80 years old, twice retired, and not seeking employment. I do occasionally receive e-mails with job offers.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
I’ve had a profile since the early days when it was just an online, cross-referencing Rolodex sort of thing. It was an ideal way to keep track of professional colleagues and find contact information for people you lost track of.

It slowly morphed into just another social media platform, which I abhor, and while the original functionality is still there, you have to deal with all the crap surrounding it now.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16263 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Very minimal, hardly active account. For what I do there is little use. I don’t rank it much above Facebook.

It may be helpful for some.

Posts: 6132 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
I am a super heavy LinkedIn user. In fact the current job I am going thru interviews for was found on LinkedIn.

For the most part I only connect with people whom I know. My email is in my profile here, anyone who would like to connect with me please send me a PM with your name and your industry.

I'll send you a request.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12305 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I login and read stuff several times a week, but I don't actively post much on there. Just have my profile set up. I get contacted on a monthly basis from recruiters about new jobs. That probably depends on the industry that the job is in though. Some use recruiters more than others.

------------------------------
I'm a right wing, anti-illegal, pro-life, gun owning, straight, white, college educated, politically informed, conservative, Christian male. Liberals hate me.

Posts: 2901 | Location: RDU, NC | Registered: March 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use it as a professional networking source. I don’t have a pay subscription just the free version. Had several interviews as a result via recruiters but none exciting enough to leave my current job. Most recruiters find out my pay and how much vacation I get and thats usually the end of most conversations. I don’t read the linked articles or other crap. I also use it as a mini background source on clients... see where they went to college, how long on current job and how many previous jobs in recent years.

Posts: 4737 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
I ignored it for years...never really got into it.

Then I was out of work, and I fully embraced it and now I'm on there everyday. Definitely a great tool if you're trying to network, or find a job.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Edited to add in first post: Is Premium worth it?

Posts: 13047 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
It's the best way to network and reach people directly. I'm in sales and use it daily. My work pays for the Sales Navigator but I've been fine using the standard free version.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7058 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a fairly generic profile there. Don't spend much time there.

Shows my career chronology but not in resume-like detail. Just a thumbnail sketch. Attached to a gmail address.

As others have said - its a good way to be connected in your industry.

It's professional - no personal drama. Do not connect with 'friends' - connect with like-minded professionals in your field. It can be an asset.

No downside really IMO as long as you don't post stupid stuff.

--------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's free and when applying for jobs it's easy to just put the LinkedIn link.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13386 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
Edited to add in first post: Is Premium worth it?

I'm just doing the free trial now....it's ok, couple added features, but it's definitely not worth the $59.99 per month that they want for it.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
I use it infrequently but it's definitely a good way to network. I have had some of my customers and vendors send me a friend request and have accepted.

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
Read the terms of service.

LinkedIn _owns_ your data. If you cancel your account, you are the only one who doesn't have access to it. You'll still receive the connection requests. Ask me how I know.

Microsoft owns LinkedIn. It's frequently referred to as "Facebook for professionals." Although there are a lot of "non-professionals" on the site.

If you're looking for new employment, it's pretty much required to have a LinkedIn account. Otherwise, the signal-to-noise ratio is quite high.

(And how can my real estate agent recommend me for my database skills? She's never seen me working on a database!)

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I am starting to use it more. It's a very good source for keeping in touch with former colleagues, and finding contacts and expertise you may need.

For example, I just re-connected with a college friend who now owns a business that conducts clinical trials. We haven't spoken in 25 years, but he is going to help me with a few things.

There is also a flag you can set on your account that states you are available and looking for a position. This tells recruiters that they can contact you.

Most of my clients use LinkedIn extensively in their searches for candidates.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12748 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
I've definitely realized it's something that the more you put into it, the more you'll get out of it.