SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Has anyone ever filled a low speed tire with foam? Up dated
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Has anyone ever filled a low speed tire with foam? Up dated Login/Join 
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted
One of the front caster wheel tires on my ZTR mower just won't seal around the rim. I've seen YouTube video of guys filling tires with cans of Great Stuff foam. I'm not beyond a little DIY action, but I'd sure like to hear what problems I might face in going the foam route

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Sportshooter,

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
Can you just replace them with solid casters? The ride isn't quite as smooth, but it would be a better option than trying to "fill" the tire, which would essentially result in the same thing if you could make it work.

Other potential problems with the foam (off the top of my head) would mainly involve the mess when/if you ever actually changed the tire. And where is your grease fitting for that caster vs. where the foam might go?

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16263 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
Perhaps you hit something and bent the rim?
You might need to buy a new/used one.
The Great Stuff foam idea seems like a very temporary solution.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 23946 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
There maybe some dirt between the rim and tire. I would break the seal where the leak is and then clean around the bead and tire and reseal.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
That foam has very little strength. The flex of the tire without air pressure will crunch it down to powder quickly.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've had good results with tubing tires like this. I think it would work better as far as longevity and ride comfort go.

===
I would like to apologize to anyone I have *not* offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.

Posts: 2064 | Location: The Sticks in Wisconsin. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I usually tube them also when they will not hold air.

You've got to know what to do when you don't know what to do.

Posts: 364 | Location: SML-VA | Registered: November 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
Easy fix is break it down and add one round of masking tape to each side of rim.has worked for me in the past

Posts: 22407 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green Mountain Boy
Picture of Jus228
posted Hide Post
The green slime stuff has sealed severe bead leaks for me on atv tires should work even better on a smaller tire.

!~God Bless the U.S. Military~!

If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Posts: 5563 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pbramlett
posted Hide Post
So a pilot acquaintance of mine bought an airplane and was ferrying it home. The tailwheel went flat and they had no extra tube for it. It was on a friday evening and the airport they landed had no services. So into town they go. No shops had a tube obviously for an 6 inch tire.

So my buddy wanting to get home gets the bright idea to fill the tire with great stuff.

There they are in a hotel room in devils asshole New Mexico filling this tire with foam. Well wouldn't you know it they overfill it and the old tire busts and foam goes everywhere in the room. Makes a terrible mess.

I'm sure the hotel management didn't want to know what was going on with all that foam.

It was a funny story when he was telling it.

Had to have a tire and tube sent from a big airport elsewhere.

Regards,

P.

Posts: 1287 | Location: Alabama | Registered: May 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
We tube them all the time, sometimes on a new tire.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5681 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had an Excel pressure washer that had constant flat tires. Excel issued a recall but it was far too bug a PIA to drive 40 miles to the service center so I filled them close to full, added a bunch of slime then spun the hell out of them...seemed to hold

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
The green slime used to work for us when I mowed yards 20 years ago.

When I get time I will give the slime a try on my Bobcat mower front tires, I pump them up every time I mow.

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3636 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
Had the product called Slime in the tire, but apparently the tire had lost enough air over the winter to allow the tire to roll away from the rim. I'm guessing that the tire had wallowed on the rim long enough to scuff the rubber enough to prevent the seal. The local tractor dealer had a product called Barricade tire sealant that says on the label, "seals up to 1/2 inch holes instantly." I'll give that a try. If it works, I'll give you a range report. Thanks for the in put.

The product called Slime had already dried up. Broke both beads of tire loose, cleaned contact area of rim and tire, remounted tire and seated the beads. Application of soapy water still produced lots of little bubbles. Squirted proper amount of Barricade into tire, aired it back up and tumbled the tire to seal the leaks. Very pleased with the higher viscosity of the Barricade product. Fresh Slime may have performed just as well, but Barricade did a fine job. Time will tell if Barricade will dry out like Slime did. YMMV Smile

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Sportshooter,

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post