SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Does anyone use a MyQ garage door monitor?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Does anyone use a MyQ garage door monitor? Login/Join 
posted
The kids are leaving my garage door open way too often. I’m open to any unit that will let me monitor it’s status from a smartphone.

Posts: 937 | Registered: July 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, I have three of them and I really like them, good peace of mind.

Posts: 1188 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My Chamberlain MyQ opener is great. The smartphone app is solid. I can monitor the status of my garage door, and open it and close it reliably from my smartphone.

The opener can also be set to automatically close my garage door after a preset length of time (as long as the safety sensor is not tripped).

Posts: 2267 | Location: San Francisco, CA | Registered: February 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
Yep. My system didn't originally have it but I was able to upgrade it.

Use it all the time.

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4521 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Learn it, know it, live it
Picture of 1lowlife
posted Hide Post
I have it and love it.
I've set mine up for send me texts and emails if the door is left open for 5, then 10, then 15 minutes.
If I know know one is home, I can close it at the 5 min warning and verify that it is closed.
If it get to 15, I call the wife and ask if she left it open.

And if you have kids, you can see what time they left or got home from when the door last moved.

Even though I have an outdoor keypad, I still use the app to open the door when walking the dogs or going on a bike ride.

Also say someone comes over to let your dogs out because you can't make it home.
You can open the door for them from anywhere.

Posts: 4359 | Location: Great State of TEXAS | Registered: July 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ubique
Picture of TSE
posted Hide Post
When it worked it was great. When I changed my router it would not allow the settings to be changed so it does not work anymore. This just after the warranty expired and chamberlain was not interested in helping.

Calgary Shooting Centre

Posts: 1494 | Location: Alberta | Registered: July 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I dunno... Gets only 3-1/2 out of 5 stars on Amazon. With all due respect to those here who have and like them, to me that does not recommend it.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
I went the route of a cheap camera that I can see on the internet. That way I can see the door is down, and also that nothing is out of place.

Of course, the camera can't close the door.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10905 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cheap camera: WyzeCam v2.

A way to close the door seems rather important in this case though.

Posts: 517 | Location: Alaska | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sig Sauer Kraut
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
I dunno... Gets only 3-1/2 out of 5 stars on Amazon. With all due respect to those here who have and like them, to me that does not recommend it.
That depends. All I needed was the internet gateway because my openers were already compatible with myq. The internet gateway gets 4.5 stars on Amazon.

Posts: 691 | Registered: January 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
I have the internet gateway. The smartphone app is a little flaky (have to restart it a lot) but it give peace of mind that I know when my garage door is opened or closed. I also have a camera inside the garage. I've had to open the garage for someone while I wasn't home and I could watch.

Posts: 45369 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
I bought two Chamberlain openers with the MyQ built in, and it's worked great for us.

My wife has a habit of leaving the door to the detached garage open, so I have it set to alert me if open for over 1 hour, and auto-close at a certain time each night.

Would definitely get openers with this same feature again if I had to replace them.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
I do and loved it while at our TX home where it would control AND monitor our doors.

Our current home came with openers that aren't compatible and I'm using it solely as a monitor now.

Solid product, but the programming for just monitoring is super flaky and doesn't "stick" well.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12406 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jerkyjer
posted Hide Post
Works as advertised. Nice to be able to close door from road if you forget. Ideally I’d like a camera in there too at some point.
It was an easy add on to an existing opener.

War Eagle!

Posts: 206 | Registered: April 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
Ours came with it built in (Chamberlain model available at Lowe's), and it has been rock-steady for almost 2 years now.
Very convenient, very steady.

Posts: 3805 | Location: WV | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
I have it. It works very well. I can check the status of the garage doors and open/close them from my phone.

Posts: 6063 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig Sauer Kraut:
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
That depends. All I needed was the internet gateway because my openers were already compatible with myq. The internet gateway gets 4.5 stars on Amazon.

Hmmm... I wonder if that's all we'd need? The LiftMaster Internet Gateway thing says "Works only with LiftMaster MyQ enabled garage door openers (with MyQ logo and yellow learn button)," which our Raynor opener appears to have.

It does rate 4.6 out of 5 stars, which is pretty good.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the replies. I’m going to order one.

Posts: 937 | Registered: July 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We picked up a Liftmaster with MyQ after reading about them in a thread on the forum. I think we have the 8550W model. It's worked very well for us so far.

Posts: 5691 | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Waitaminute...

This gateway uses wired network connections only? I cannot imagine many people with wired LAN available in their garages.