SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Looking for shade tree mechanics - cause found!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for shade tree mechanics - cause found! Login/Join 
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
quote:

So I got a 60 count pack of fuses and will keep driving until I figure out the next move...

Recommend you invest in a fire extinguisher to go along with the box of fuses.

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3762 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You must have the model that fixes itself. I would like to order one as well.

My daughter's Nissan Altima had a problem with the headlight randomly going out at night. Somewhat of a safety concern. The local dealership could not find the problem so I sent it to another dealership who spent the time called Nissan and finally fixed the problem. It took them several days and was some kind of computer glitch.

Temperature might be a reason. My power steering pump is quiet until the temperature drops below fifty. When it warms up it quiets down.

Posts: 17231 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by muddle_mann:
It's a miracle. Made it all the way home last night on one 10A fuse. Do shorts sometimes fix themselves? The problem started when it was 70 degrees now it's 90 degrees. And my mechanic did take the bumper off to check (didn't see any wiring harnesses under the bumper).

So I got a 60 count pack of fuses and will keep driving until I figure out the next move...

Fix themselves, no. But work for a while without shorting again yes....... visually look at all of the wiring going to those items for any chafing and bare wire. It could be hitting the frame. Also check all connections and make sure moisture is not getting into the connectors and shorting stuff out.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cigar Nerd
Picture of Jaywendland1981
posted Hide Post
90% of the time its the harness that plugs directly into the bulb. Usually they get hot and start to melt causing a short. If you can get to it i would inspect the bulb harnesses. If they are brown, burnt or brittle and cracked then theres your problem. Wish i could be more help.

There will be whores, tits and sex.

Posts: 4305 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: January 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
Yes, keep looking at the plugs into each light assembly (and the 4-6" of wiring leading into them.) I had a similar situation with the BMW, one HID headlight kept going out. The car has headlights that turn left-right with the steering.
There was ONE wire that had become brittle and chafed, cuting itself in two. Easy to fix, time consuming to find.

Posts: 3805 | Location: WV | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
quote:
Originally posted by apf383:
Go back and hit the pot hole from the other direction.

IN REVERSE!!!!!!!!!!! Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

then the other direction also in reverse. that's four passes. oh wait....

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8675 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post