SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Looking for shade tree mechanics - cause found!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for shade tree mechanics - cause found! Login/Join 
Picture of muddle_mann
posted
Got a 2006 RSX. Hit a hell of a pot hole and I first noticed the instrument cluster lights went out. Later I noticed that the park lights are out as well. Headlights and hi beams work. All other interior lights work. Just tested the parks with the flashers and they work. If I leave the light stalk on parks only and open the door and I don't get the annoying buzz that used to warn of lights on prior to the pot hole.

My first thought was a blown fuse. I found a blown fuse in the fuse box in the engine bay for the "small lights" (whatever than means) and replaced it but parks and cluster lights still out. Plan to check the interior fuse box next.

Thoughts?

UPDATE: FIXED! It was the park light on the drivers side. Part of the bulb filament had broken away and was randomly touching the bulb base and shorting the system. All the while the bulb was ON! Must be a 1 in a million where the filament breaks but the bulb keeps working. Ugh.

It really did seem like there was an issue with the wiring on the *connector* I was assuming it was the connector and that is why I didn't have the problem with the bulb removed. Feel a little silly because I never thought to simply try a different bulb. Assumptions are a bitch...

This message has been edited. Last edited by: muddle_mann,

Pissed off beats scared every time…

- Frank Castle

Posts: 3810 | Registered: March 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of muddle_mann
posted Hide Post
Found the "gauge lights" fuse in the interior fuse box but the fuse is not blown. I swapped it anyway and lights still out. :-/

- Frank Castle

posted Hide Post
Look for a relay. It might have been Jared loose when you hit the pothole.

ARman

Posts: 3146 | Registered: May 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Relay or a ground wire came loose.
That's my $.02

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8322 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of muddle_mann
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. Found the ground wire. Seemed to be securely attached. I broke it loose and gave it a wiggle or two then re tightened. No affect.

I googled to figure out what the relays look like. I see a few of them in each fuse box but how do I tell if they are bad?

- Frank Castle

posted Hide Post
You have a wiring harness connection that's probably loose somewhere up under or near the front bumper.....probably.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
Jimmy123x is on the right track, I suspect. If the ground is solid (on both ends) it likely is a connector in the spirit of Lucas, Prince of Darkness. (English car reference).

I saw in a quick search that there were schematics for your car online. Trace out the circuits and see if it shows a connector. It could be hidden under a panel/dash or in the center.

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master-at-Arms
Picture of apf383
posted Hide Post
Go back and hit the pot hole from the other direction.

Foster's, Australian for Bud

Posts: 7489 | Location: Stuck in NY, FUAC  | Registered: November 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
On the relays, just pull them out and reseat them.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cigar Nerd
Picture of Jaywendland1981
posted Hide Post
Do your taillights work? Heres a couple diagrams and just my experience. I have replaced a few multiplexer units on various hondas. I imagine most hondas use the same one.

There will be whores, tits and sex.

Posts: 4305 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: January 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spinnin' Chain
Picture of Expat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by apf383:

Big Grin Great advice! I can't stop laughing!

Posts: 3238 | Location: Oregun | Registered: August 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

IN REVERSE!!!!!!!!!!! Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by muddle_mann:
Thanks guys. Found the ground wire. Seemed to be securely attached. I broke it loose and gave it a wiggle or two then re tightened. No affect.

I googled to figure out what the relays look like. I see a few of them in each fuse box but how do I tell if they are bad?

There can be multiple ground wires, for different circuits.

Examine the relays, sometimes more than one are exactly the same relay. IF so you can just swap them around and check for effect.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4118 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
On the relays, just pull them out and reseat them

This.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sound and Fury
Picture of Dallas239
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
quote:

IN REVERSE!!!!!!!!!!! Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
You sound like the Car Talk guys.

"I've spoken of the shining city all my political life, but I don't know if I ever quite communicated what I saw when I said it. But in my mind it was a tall proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, wind-swept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace, a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity, and if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here." -- Ronald Reagan, Farewell Address, Jan. 11, 1989

Si vis pacem para bellum
There are none so blind as those who refuse to see.
Feeding Trolls Since 1995

Posts: 18039 | Registered: February 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
You sound like the Car Talk guys.

Yeah but they are not from Boston, and probably not MIT grads either. They are funny though.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of muddle_mann
posted Hide Post
quote:

Believe me I gave it great thought! :P

- Frank Castle

Picture of muddle_mann
posted Hide Post
I did finally relent and dropped it at the shop this morning.

I did pull the relays fromthe fuse box in the engine compartment but it was too tight around the cockpit fuse box so I'll leave that to the pros.

- Frank Castle

Picture of muddle_mann
posted Hide Post
Not much further towards fix that was yesterday. Shop thought they found the issue with the driver head light installation. It wasn't (the bulb was only being held by the rubber boot that keeps out water because the clip to hold the bulb is broken off).

The parks only stay on if there is a 15A fuse (it takes a 10A fuse). Even then only good for about 12 on/off then fuse pops again...

- Frank Castle

Picture of muddle_mann
posted Hide Post
It's a miracle. Made it all the way home last night on one 10A fuse. Do shorts sometimes fix themselves? The problem started when it was 70 degrees now it's 90 degrees. And my mechanic did take the bumper off to check (didn't see any wiring harnesses under the bumper).

So I got a 60 count pack of fuses and will keep driving until I figure out the next move...

- Frank Castle