SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    So I lost my Cane Corso suddenly to a brain tumor and we picked up a rescue
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

So I lost my Cane Corso suddenly to a brain tumor and we picked up a rescue Login/Join 
Picture of valkyrie1
posted
from the Houston area after a long struggle to decide on another dog. So Izzy might be part Malinois, Blackmouth Cur. She's smart and now 5 months old. Problem is she's really mouthy. Not too bad with me,shes figured out I'm alpha but she gives my wife a hard time, nipping,tugging at her robe,grabbing laces,pouncing,then gets the zoomies. We have had the Cane, a GSD,a Lab and a goldie so we are not newbies with dogs but this one has been a tough nut with the normal techniques we've used in the past. Shes friendly with other dogs but obnoxious, barks at bicyclist and runners. What do you all think on tips to address these issues?

Posts: 2306 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Have your wife bite her ears when she gets mouthy.

Also, have you wife put her saliva on the food and hand her.

It lets the dog know who is the alpha female.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43865 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
I had the boys feed the dog every night, but he couldn't eat till they said "EAT". He just had to sit there looking at it. Really established authority. Even for my youngest.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
She sounds like my aussie. What activities do you do with her? Mine needed to be mentally stimulated a bunch with doggie puzzles and learning tricks, then a 1 mile walk, and 20 minutes of throwing a ball every day to calm down and stop trying to herd everyone around the house. It was a lot of work but he calmed down as he got older and is a lot more "stable" now.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of valkyrie1
posted Hide Post
She gets 2 long walks during the day but outside play time has been limited as it's sometimes dark by the time we get home, she can't eat until the ok command, she knows sit,down and we play/teach with her every day. Constantly refresh toys, gets bison bones to chew. She's smart but has so much energy it's ridiculous,thinking about getting a walker during the day.

Posts: 2306 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
You might look around for a cheap used treadmill. Use that to supplement the exercise.

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can only offer sympathy and encouragement.

We got a black mouth cur at six months (after she destroyed her first home). She was spaz-crazy at first and even pissed off our mellow mature lab.

We got the back yard fenced so that she could run, and she warmed up to us over a few weeks. Now (after a year) she is a sweetheart.

We didn't know what a black mouth cur was when we got her, but after reading about the breed, they are pretty much describing her.

Posts: 1349 | Location: WI | Registered: July 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post