SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Help with avatar and picture posting
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help with avatar and picture posting Login/Join 
Excitable Boy
Picture of Dan the man
posted
I have noticed there are quite a few members besides myself that still show a dead Photobucket link for their avatar so I don't think I'm alone here. I am trying to use Postimage as my new picture hosting site. I like the simplicity of the site. Now if I can just get it to work! Everytime I try to change my Sigforum avatar to a Postimage link, it will show up in the preview window in my profile page but the edit avatar window will show- "The provided avatar URL does not appear to be accessible" Possible there is a setting on Postimage that I haven't found holding me back.

Also when I try to just delete my old Photobucket avatar link in my Sigforum profile the attempt fails and it remains.

Anyone have any suggestions?

I'm going to attempt to link to just a picture now and see if I have any luck-

China is Asshoe

Posts: 2270 | Location: Michigan | Registered: March 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Excitable Boy
Picture of Dan the man
posted Hide Post
OK it's encouraging that I can link a picture. Here's what Ive been trying to add as an avatar-

China is Asshoe

Posts: 2270 | Location: Michigan | Registered: March 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
You cannot delete the link to a custom avatar, nor select "No Avatar" and leave it blank if you have a custom avatar.

You have to replace the link.

However, you can change your avatar to one of the forum's "canned" avatars.

Then change it to the new custom one, or selct "No Avatar".

Also check the link, you have to have the protocol prefix in the link.

http://
or
https://

Put the following in the "custom box".

https://s25.postimg.org/f26tg754v/100_0605.jpg

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43879 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Excitable Boy
Picture of Dan the man
posted Hide Post
Thanks sigmonkey I'm trying that process right now.

https:// verified

I noticed when I added the same picture in a post the add picture window adds [IMG] [IMG/] at the ends of the link. I tried adding them manually when adding as an avatar with no luck. Different error message "Not a valid link" or something like that.

China is Asshoe

A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Remove the [IMG] tags.

Try the link for the jeep as it is typed in my post above and see if that works.

If so, we can get the link for the actual image you wnat to use.

If all else, I can host it for you.

At today's special monkey pricing of one banana free.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43879 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Excitable Boy
Picture of Dan the man
posted Hide Post
I only tried adding the tags after several other failures.

Here's what happens when added exactly as you instructed-
Then when saved it just defaults back to the last avatar.

China is Asshoe

Excitable Boy
Picture of Dan the man
posted Hide Post
Can't seem to remove Ben Franklin now but that's OK, better than a dead PB link and now I know I can post pictures into a post so that's progress.

Thanks for your help!

China is Asshoe

Excitable Boy
Picture of Dan the man
posted Hide Post
sigmonkey I just noticed your offer to host my jeep avatar for me. That would be great if you don't mind. Much appreciated!

China is Asshoe

Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
If you've been successful in posting the image (second post), what's preventing you from resizing it, uploading it to the same photo host, and then using that url for your avatar?

In any case, you can use this url for the avatar if you can't do it through Postimage: http://superdimension.net/gifs/dantheman.jpg

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of olfuzzy
posted Hide Post
I used to use postimage for my avatar and images but something changed a while back. I can still post images in threads but it won't recognize the url when trying to change my avatar. I started using imgur for my avatars.

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dan the man:
sigmonkey I just noticed your offer to host my jeep avatar for me. That would be great if you don't mind. Much appreciated!

You want to use the Jeep?

Excitable Boy
Picture of Dan the man
posted Hide Post
Thanks sigmonkey I'll just use the one Orguss has already made. Thanks Orguss!

oldfuzzy quote:
"I used to use postimage for my avatar and images but something changed a while back. I can still post images in threads but it won't recognize the url when trying to change my avatar. I started using imgur for my avatars."

Thanks oldfuzzy, that's good enough for me I wont waste anymore time trying.

China is Asshoe

Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dan the man:
Thanks Orguss!

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
I did not see that Orguss did that for you.

He's such a nice man.

We should keep him around. Big Grin

I have lived the
greatest adventure
Picture of AUTiger89
posted Hide Post
Edited to add: I decided on Imgur, so hopefully this works.

Okay, I know this is an old thread, but I'm having trouble updating my Avatar to an image hosted on PhotoBucket. (Yes, I paid.)

Testing the image:

Here is the link: Test Avatar =https://i.imgur.com/Q7a89jQ.png

So testing the image works, but when I try to save it as the Avatar, I get the message: "The provided avatar URL does not appear to be accessible."

Any thoughts as to what I'm doing wrong?

Trying my old link:

My old link, by the way, is hosted on my own domain server, but still won't show up when I put it in IMG tags or as an Avatar.

When I put it in IMG tags, it disappears, but when I click on the link, I can see it fine.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: AUTiger89,

Phone's ringing, Dude.

Posts: 6042 | Location: Upstate SC | Registered: April 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post