SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Cutting the cord...
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cutting the cord... Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I caught Hulu on sale. Also pay for FUBO.
Pluto and a few other free ones are good.

Posts: 110 | Location: florida | Registered: July 17, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of barndg00
posted Hide Post
Following. Anyone use and recommend a jailbroken Firestick with Kodi?

Posts: 2155 | Location: NC | Registered: January 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
No, because I'm a grown-ass adult with a job, and I can afford to pay ~$40/month for my streaming entertainment rather than resorting to pirating it. Big Grin

Posts: 32494 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
When you do cut the cord and miss a channel or two you previously had, don't focus on that. Just remember the $3600 a year raise you gave yourself.

I have an OTA antenna on the roof and get all major networks. PBS sometimes. I have two ROKU TVs. One in the bedroom. I only stream Amazon Prime Video, Pluto and the ROKU Channel. That's it. I have tried other free channels from time to time but those are the ones I've settled on for now and truthfully, I seldom watch the ROKU Channel. Over my 67 years, I've had them all and I don't miss main stream media news, ESPN or premium pay channels ... or the couple of hundred dollar a month bills.

Posts: 4697 | Location: Bathing in the stream of consciousness ~~~ | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Vanwall:
For local broadcasts check out tvfool or antennaweb. They will tell you what is available and guide you to the correct scale antenna.

TVFool is no longer accurate. Hasn't been updated for months. Given all the frequency, location, and transmit power changes resulting from the repack, it's information is rather worthless now. People have reached out to the site's maintainer and received no response.

quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
No, because I'm a grown-ass adult with a job, and I can afford to pay ~$40/month for my streaming entertainment rather than resorting to pirating it. Big Grin

Indeed.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
I’m in the same boat David. Comcrap Xfinity keeps cutting content and substituting junk channels like Peacock. $300 a month and the liberal commercials preach like there is no tomorrow. We’ve cut the cable before and tried high speed cable and Netflix 2008-2011 but there wasn’t much on Netflix so it seemed like we kept it only waiting for a new content show or movie that came along only every so often. We don’t get $300 worth of programs, that’s for sure. We will probably go with some of these recommendations again.

Posts: 6009 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Unless you go OTA, you're going to need internet.

I have Youtube TV and it's like $63 a month now and extremely happy with it. Also have Netflix and Amazon Prime and happy with those as well. You can also cancel and uncancel any of those whenever it suits you.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 10X-Shooter:
We’ve cut the cable before and tried high speed cable and Netflix 2008-2011 but there wasn’t much on Netflix ...

We've looked at cutting either Netflix or Amazon Prime, but have found we pretty much need both of them to supply a mostly uninterrupted source of interesting content.

quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
Unless you go OTA, you're going to need internet.

Even if you go OTA you may want or need it.

For one: The broadcast TV entertainment value ain't what it used to be. My wife and I used to watch probably an hour-and-a-half per night of broadcast TV fare--even up to, I dunno... 4-5 years ago? Now we're down to maybe a couple hours or so a week. There's just not that much good content on broadcast TV anymore.

For second: If you want any kind of OTA TV DVR, you'll need an Internet connection for the DVR program guide.

quote:
I have Youtube TV and it's like $63 a month now and extremely happy with it. Also have Netflix and Amazon Prime and happy with those as well.

I estimate you're up to roughly $85/mo. in streaming services. Isn't that basic cable + a premium channel or two?

Not sure what you've gained, cost-savings-wise.

We've got OTA TV + DVR service + Netflix + AP + PBS Passport. I think it adds up to around $32/mo. When the election season is over and OAN gets back to covering news, I'll add that back to bring it up to $37/mo.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ensigmatic. I started with basic Comcast and the bill was up to $150 for 1 TV after the trial period went off, between the 1 box rental the taxes, fees, etc. etc.......and didn't have nearly as much content.....I do use Amazon prime for the free shipping and stuff, so the tv part of prime is just a bonus.......The youtube has free dvr and can use on 4 different devices including my tablets.

The Netflix and prime is a must since I travel a lot working on yachts on trips and have an Ipad pro 12.9". I can pre-load a bunch of shows and movies and watch them on the plane or in my stateroom when I'm on a trip.......It makes it easy and those two are well worth it for that alone.......I can also stream some TV compliments of the youtube subscription......if you go directly to the apps of your favorite channels.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
The problem is that Cable to Streaming Content is not an apples to apples comparison for price.

With Netflix/Prime/Disney you get full seasons of thousands of shows, movies, and exclusive content without commercials, on demand, and often downloadable for travel viewing.

With cable, you have channel surf, wait for shows to air on certain dates, wait for a movie to pop up on the lineup, and you have to deal with commercials.

Streaming services are far better.

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ensigmatic. I started with basic Comcast and the bill was up to $150 for 1 TV after the trial period went off, ...

Yikes!

Disregard, then. I guess prices climbed a lot since I last looked a few years ago.

quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
Streaming services are far better.

I agree.

Woke up today..
Great day!
posted Hide Post
I just dropped Directv after 23 years as a customer. I originally got it because I was moving to the Midwest and wanted to watch my home sports teams. It started out reasonable but as I added televisions the cost started getting unreasonable. Just got sick of paying over $200 a month for television. I now subscribe to Hulu , Netflix, and Amazon Prime via 2 Rokus and one smart tv. My Samsung smart tv also gives me a bunch of channels of live tv I can watch. My bill is under $100 per month and so far there is little we have missed. I have an OTA antenna also but agree I rarely watch the primary networks any more.

Posts: 1769 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: December 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live Slow,
Die Whenever
Picture of medic451
posted Hide Post
I really like Youtube TV so far, the only gripe I have is they just bumped the price up this year, and they dumped Fox Sports West during the dispute with Sinclair. Other than that its way better than paying double for Dish Network.

Dont forget to get PlutoTV as well, like right now! Its free and they actually have some pretty good programming, including free on demand movies.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
- John Wayne in "The Shootist"

Posts: 3446 | Location: California | Registered: May 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't burn
the day away
posted Hide Post
I'm following this thread closely,
I big question: Does youtube support 5.1 content like Prime and Netflix???

Posts: 2074 | Location: Worcester County, MA  | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by liner:
Does youtube support 5.1 content like Prime and Netflix???

No, stereo only. Youtube TV also doesn't stream 4K or HDR content.

It's strictly base 720p/1080p (depending on the channel) with 2 channel stereo audio.

Posts: 32494 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
we put up an over the air antenna in the attic. We leverage our Amazon Prime video component and we added FUBO, they carry the Astros locally and this year added ESPN which I dont care about however that enables us to watch Aggie College sports via the SEChannel now, so pretty happy.

Also Fubo recently added Disney as well as $10 to the monthly bill but this way I get to watch the mandelorian when it comes out.

HK Ag

Posts: 3498 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Yeah, college football is really the only reason why I pay for ESPN. I plan to cancel it after football season, and re-up next year.

Don't burn
the day away
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by liner:
Does youtube support 5.1 content like Prime and Netflix???

No, stereo only. Youtube TV also doesn't stream 4K or HDR content.

It's strictly base 720p/1080p (depending on the channel) with 2 channel stereo audio.

Thank you, that might change my decision.

Posts: 2074 | Location: Worcester County, MA  | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
Got another question.
My beach house that we rent out through a Property management company has now said that as of next year we no longer need to have cable tv if we can get a streaming service that offers local channels. As I understand it that means YouTube TV. In reading the fine print it seems that you can only stream 3 TV’s at once and our house has 6 TV’s. Does anyone know how to deal with that potential issue?
Thanks.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6311 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6311 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post