SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    University of Memphis will not charge tuition to children, spouses of fallen service members
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

University of Memphis will not charge tuition to children, spouses of fallen service members Login/Join 
Picture of olfuzzy
posted
Today's a great day for this news to break.

It's a long article but this is the meat of it:

Army National Guard Captain Raymond D. Hill II was 39 years old on Oct. 29, 2005, when a roadside bomb struck his Humvee. He was on a humanitarian mission in Baghdad, delivering books and toys to an orphanage.

Earlier this month, Alyssa, the youngest of her father's two daughters, graduated from the University of Memphis.

Starting this fall, the university will not charge a dime to students like her.

The university already accepts the national Folds of Honor scholarship, which undergraduate students under the age of 24 can receive if a parent was severely injured or killed while on active duty. Spouses of any age can also receive it if they have not remarried.

The $5,000-a-year scholarship helped pay for Alyssa's education.

Next year, the university will accept that scholarship as payment-in-full.

It will be the first higher education institution in the country to do so.

Folds of Honor recipients who have not yet graduated, in addition to those arriving in the future, will no longer need to worry about finding ways to pay for the rest of their education.

https://www.commercialappeal.c...e-members/582488002/

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
Wow! great news. Well done University of Memphis!

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great news; instead of giving free tuition to illegals or refugees. About time we are taking care of deserving Americans, and not the rest of the world.

Posts: 970 | Location: Virginia | Registered: August 03, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
This should be a standard across the country for military and police officers killed in the line of duty. Their children should get free tuition at any state school.

Good for U of Memphis to lead the way on this. It's the least we can do for those who sacrifice everything for us.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10722 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
EXCELLENT! And I agree with Vaalic. Should be the standard.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20319 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The 2nd guarantees the 1st
Picture of fiasconva
posted Hide Post
Let's hope this starts a trend.

"Even if the world were perfect it wouldn't be." ... Yogi Berra

Posts: 1864 | Location: York County, VA | Registered: August 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Love it!

Q

Posts: 26339 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Decent of them.

Posts: 26892 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
I agree this is a very good idea, and one I enthusiastically support, but with a caveat. These kids get their tuition comp'd as long as they achieve some agreed upon cumulative GPA per semester. Even these kids should be required to perform to 'earn' their paid tuition.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
I agree this is a very good idea, and one I enthusiastically support, but with a caveat. These kids get their tuition comp'd as long as they achieve some agreed upon cumulative GPA per semester. Even these kids should be required to perform to 'earn' their paid tuition.

Agreed.

What do you think that GPA should be?

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
Well whaddya know. They did right! It's been 10+ years since I went there, but I'm proud of them all the same.

Go U of M! Good on you.

"In order to understand recursion, you must first learn the principle of recursion."

Posts: 3349 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: August 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's good to hear!

Ohio has something similar for police. Wonder if they will do something for military.

EDUCATION BENEFITS
Under the Ohio Revised Code 3333.26,
children and the spouse
of an officer who dies in the
line of duty, and who is admitted to any State university or college as defined in Division (A)
(1) of Ohio Revised Code 3345.12, community college, state community college, university
branch or technical college, shall
not be required to pay any
tuition or any student fee
for
up to four years of education, which shall be at
an undergraduate level. Benefits are available
to children
under age 26
or age 30 with military service who have been a resident of Ohio for
at least one year. There is no age limit for
spouses. A former spouse who was divorced or
legally separated from the deceased person is e
ligible if he or she is the court-ordered
custodial parent of a minor child of the marriage.

Posts: 1393 | Location: County 18, OH | Registered: April 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
Yes.....honourable and very generous.

On the other hand, what of my children should I die on the job site or in my daily commute? I would in no way take away from those that make the sacrifice but how do you reconcile the worth of the lives of the rest of us?

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4571 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by roberth:
quote:

Agreed.

What do you think that GPA should be?
I have no idea, but since I want these kids to succeed in life, and since they are getting their education for free, I think the required GPA should be above 3.0.

Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
I was giving this a bit more thought this evening and something occurred to me. Why only the children of 'fallen' soldiers? If someone is living in the dirt in a fire base in Shitstanizan, away from their family, earning essentially minimum wages, while mom is a world away trying to scrimp and save and pay the bills, why aren't we doing 'something' to assist their children get an education? And what of the children of first responders killed in the line of duty right here in the US? Do we value them less than those fighting abroad?

The more you ponder this, the more slippery the slope becomes. I like the idea of aiding the children of military families who have lost a parent, but I fear once this Pandora's Box is opened it may be very hard to limit that aide as it expands into all other sorts of categories.

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
all other sorts of categories.

Such as the hue of one’s epidermis, or one’s ethnicity, last name, sex, or ability to play a child’s game well? This is one of those things that I’m just as glad isn’t my responsibility to decide, but the number of “fallen” in any category of public servants who go into harm’s way for the rest of us is a miniscule fraction of the population. If school administrators can handle the demands for special treatment of all those other far-larger categories of deserving and/or “disadvantaged,” I suspect they could figure this one out as well.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
With all the SJW's clamoring for rights and benefits for every nutcase and aberrant freak on the planet, I am surprised that such a common-sense benefit and probably universally-supported idea would be considered new and hasn't been implemented almost everywhere.
Congratulations to the U of M!

"Crom is strong! If I die, I have to go before him, and he will ask me, 'What is the riddle of steel?' If I don't know it, he will cast me out of Valhalla and laugh at me."

Posts: 6641 | Registered: September 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
Good for them, but you'd still have to live in Memphis for 4 years.

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3445 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post